Premed 101 Forums

Official University Of Alberta 2018 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2022

hopefullyhopeful

Hello!

I figured a new thread should be started for the 2018 applicants/class of 2022s.

Since this is about a month late, I'm sure you all know that the LOI and Pharmacist Consultation Form has been posted for this cycle, but here's the link anyways: https://www.cms.ualberta.ca/pharm/programs/undergraduate-bsc-in-pharmacy/prospective-student/admission-requirements.

Best of luck to all, and I (and I'm sure other pharm students will bounce into this thread) am always willing to answer whatever questions I can!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 19/01/2018 at 10:38 AM, UA1234 said:

Hi!

I am wondering how long did you shadow a pharmacist? I emailed a few pharmacists and they only allow me to shadow them for a day. Is one day of shadowing long enough?  how did you find an opportunity to shadow a pharmacist for a longer time?

Thanks!

Hello,

I only shadowed a pharmacist for 3 hours last year. If a pharmacist only allows you to shadow for one day, you could always visit multiple pharmacists! Everyone practices differently, so you can see how different pharmacies function by visiting multiple rather than one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I'm wondering if anyone knows the GPA stats of the previous year of students who got accepted. I'm worried my overall GPA is not good enough to compete (3.55). I'm hoping they will take into account my last 2 years in which my GPA is about a 3.8. Also does anyone know how much it matters to have the full course load ( 10 classes between fall and spring semesters for at least 1 year) ?

I'm also wondering when the interview invites are usually sent and if all applicants get an interview? 

thanks

44 minutes ago, LethyPharm said:

Hi everyone

I'm wondering if anyone knows the GPA stats of the previous year of students who got accepted. I'm worried my overall GPA is not good enough to compete (3.55). I'm hoping they will take into account my last 2 years in which my GPA is about a 3.8. Also does anyone know how much it matters to have the full course load ( 10 classes between fall and spring semesters for at least 1 year) ?

I'm also wondering when the interview invites are usually sent and if all applicants get an interview? 

thanks

I'm not sure what our average GPA was but I think you should be fine as it's only one component of the process.

We got our interview invites late last year. If I recall it was either late May or early June that they started sending out invitations.

1 minute ago, Ualberta18 said:

I'm not sure what our average GPA was but I think you should be fine as it's only one component of the process.

We got out interview invited late last year. If I recall it was either late May or early June that they started sending out invitations.

Ok thanks! Any advice on what the interview is like or how to prepare?

3 minutes ago, LethyPharm said:

Ok thanks! Any advice on what the interview is like or how to prepare?

Assuming they keep the format the same as last year, you should be getting practice questions when the invitations are sent out. It's helpful to get you used to speaking in front of the camera and gives you a feel about what kind of questions may be asked. The questions were centered more around getting to know you as a person and your ethical views.

When you do your interview, the main point is to be yourself because they don't want standardized answers! I'd go against searching additional practice questions online because I didn't find them to be helpful. Additionally, don't worry about speaking during the whole interview. They gave about 2min per question but at times I only took 30sec-1min to answer. If you have nothing left to say, just cut it short rather than rambling!

Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask!

1 minute ago, Ualberta18 said:

Assuming they keep the format the same as last year, you should be getting practice questions when the invitations are sent out. It's helpful to get you used to speaking in front of the camera and gives you a feel about what kind of questions may be asked. The questions were centered more around getting to know you as a person and your ethical views.

When you do your interview, the main point is to be yourself because they don't want standardized answers! I'd go against searching additional practice questions online because I didn't find them to be helpful. Additionally, don't worry about speaking during the whole interview. They gave about 2min per question but at times I only took 30sec-1min to answer. If you have nothing left to say, just cut it short rather than rambling!

Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask!

Yeah that definitely helps! thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

So I'm a fourth year student and my first two years were complete disasters (I'm too embarrassed to share details). I applied this year but I am extremely worried. 

Does anyone know if the faculty will ever consider my two first years? I know that an overall GPA is calculated on our two most recent years of full time study.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

hello, 

I am a first year student at Macewan hoping to transfer to u of A next year. I wan to apply to pharmacy during my second year and I was hoping if anyone could direct me to any good volunteer/work experience things I can put on my application. this year I was just focused on studying since I just left high school so its all new to me. ht semester is almost over and I know they look at more than just grade. I just applied to volunteer to be a Big Brothers Big sisters and I was wondering about maybe the Canadian blood services across the street from ECHA? I was hoping for some ideas for things I could do to make my application stand out for next year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 10:32 AM, Neurosciencegrad said:

Hi all, 

Just wanted to touch base with everyone as they said invites for interviews will be sent out soon. Let me know if anyone has got one yet! 

Got an email today saying invites will be sent out by mid-April. Goodluck to all of us!

On 3/3/2018 at 7:34 PM, pharmagirl97 said:

Hey everyone!

So I'm a fourth year student and my first two years were complete disasters (I'm too embarrassed to share details). I applied this year but I am extremely worried. 

Does anyone know if the faculty will ever consider my two first years? I know that an overall GPA is calculated on our two most recent years of full time study.

Thanks!

From the FAQ on the official admissions website:

"We assess several factors, which may change in priority from year to year depending on the committee. Generally we take into account last 2 years of a full load of courses, attainment in the specified preprofessional courses (with a special focus on those we know to correlate with performance in pharmacy; cell biology and biochemistry have recently been identified as falling under that category), and how the applicant did when they took a full load of coursework (defined as 30 ucw in a consecutive Fall-Winter academic session). Students who have also taken a full course load (*30/yr. or 5 courses/term) and achieved a competitive GPA are looked at more favorably. "

Source: https://www.ualberta.ca/pharmacy/programs/proposed-doctor-of-pharmacy/prospective-students-2018/frequently-asked-questions

A few months ago I spoke to the faculty of pharmacy and they told me invites are sent to basically anyone who applied with all the correct pre-reqs, LOI, and consultation form. They look at the interview, LOI and grades together in June to make a final decision. But its still a great feeling to get the interview email aha! Interesting how this year they added a fourth question thats written. I have no idea how to prep for that part! 

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, franky said:

got another question for anyone out there, i hope someone answer...

I have a C on Biochemistry and i know that is one of the courses that they focus on. Would this affect my application at all? My pGPA and cGPA are both around 3.6

Hey franky, don't think it will affect you that much since the committee focus more on the cumulative average to see how well you can handle the heavy course load in the pharmacy program.

11 hours ago, Boboeat said:

Hey franky, don't think it will affect you that much since the committee focus more on the cumulative average to see how well you can handle the heavy course load in the pharmacy program.

Thank you for replying, I wasn't sure if anyone was active here anymore. I appreciate it! Goodluck on our interviews!