Premed 101 Forums

Official University Of Alberta 2018 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2022

hopefullyhopeful

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Has anyone done the Kira practice assessment? I have already done one practice assessment but it does not allow me to review my video recorded answers. It comes up with a notification saying "No compatible source was found for this media". Is anyone having the same problem and knows how to fix?

Thank you  

Hey guys! Just wondering if anyone knew the weight breakdown for each section of the admission requirements? I heard that it is about 60% grades, 30% interview, and 10% LOI but I’m not sure at all. I have a highly competetive gpa with a 4.0 but I am still very nervous about the interview process!

Thanks

On 5/21/2018 at 7:28 PM, Jay98 said:

Hello,

Has anyone done the Kira practice assessment? I have already done one practice assessment but it does not allow me to review my video recorded answers. It comes up with a notification saying "No compatible source was found for this media". Is anyone having the same problem and knows how to fix?

Thank you  

If you have not done it yet, try using a different browser (I used google chrome for mine) or updating your adobe flash player. Hope this helps.

Hey! I have done my interview today. I just think this forum is dead and I want to resurrect it though I don’t think I am a real candidate) My gpa is only 3.4 and I did not bother to calculate pre req gpa only... It is my second time applying. Last year my gpa was way worse and interview was bad (I spent a month in my home country before doing the interview so my English was soooo bad: totally not fluent and with hm gm ahhh that type of staff)). I like written part this year. I think it is less stressful than speaking component. I don’t know what exactly they look on interview but this year I have done total three interviews before doing UAlberta one, two of which are MMI types. So hopefully that was helpful for me) regarding letter of intent I have no clue. What is important or what’s not to write about... Did they ask me in my LOI or interview what else I am doing besides school? No. They asked where are you working that’s all. But beside being a full time student, and a part timer worker, I am also “full time” mom of the 2 yo. Nobody cares... Nobody asks. I don’t go around and scream about this on the street. I wish they could take this into consideration but no, that won’t happen)  But... imagine if I can do 3.4 gpa with a toddler what could I have achieved being child-free as most of the undergrads?!.. Life is not fair kids))) Good luck to everyone. it is very hard job to get to pharmacy school. Don’t give up if you won’t get this year. Because unlike me, you should not be in a rush to graduate. 

15 hours ago, Schamanta said:

Hi ! 

How long after the interview are students usually accepted or rejected ? 

Last year I got rejection letter somewhere in early July. But from forum of previous year I’ve seen people with higher gpa got accepted almost right after they have done interviews...

On 5/21/2018 at 9:12 PM, Pharm98 said:

Hey guys! Just wondering if anyone knew the weight breakdown for each section of the admission requirements? I heard that it is about 60% grades, 30% interview, and 10% LOI but I’m not sure at all. I have a highly competetive gpa with a 4.0 but I am still very nervous about the interview process!

Thanks

Hey! Be calm! Where is your self confidence?) if not you then who?! Who is gonna get!?  Let us know when you’ll get your acceptance letter. 

Hi guys. just wondering if the system stays active past the interview deadline? I am in a different time zone and did the interview past june 2nd in edmonton and did not realize until later. Can anyone please let me know? Do you think my interview will still be valid?

Thank you

Just now, Hellohi said:

If they have accepted your interview, then I think it shouldn't be a problem. However, it is best to e-mail the department to make sure. 

Yeah I got a confirmation saying they received my submission. If I email, wouldn't that affect my application because I had a big time period for the interview?

6 hours ago, pharm14 said:

Yeah I got a confirmation saying they received my submission. If I email, wouldn't that affect my application because I had a big time period for the interview?

Ummm... right.., then you decide, if you don't e-mail them, they may not notice that and you will be fine; but if they figure it out, they may automatically cancel your application and you won't have a chance to explain. 

1 hour ago, student-123 said:

I called the admission office couple days ago. They mentioned that the committee will be getting together in the middle of June, so the decision will be sent out around the end of the month. 

Do you know the breakdown for each sections of the admission component? 

Hi guys,

I'm a first year pharmacy student and I thought i could provide some info. If you're wondering about how the admission components are weighted, that still remains a mystery. In my opinion, as long as the gpa is over 3.5 it is just as important as the LOI. My gpa was not stellar but I put a great amount of effort into perfecting my LOI. As for the interview, I see it as kind of a make or break type of deal. A 3 min interview is short and won't say as much as the LOI does but if you bomb it HARD it may really cost you because they are looking for well-rounded people that can express their thoughts clearly.

All in all I don't think it matters how it is weighted, as long as you put 110% into every component of the admission and try to prepare as best you can, that should be enough. 

Best of luck everyone!!

Hey! 

I also received an admission email this morning. My gpa was 4.0. My letter of intent was well thought out and included 2/3 volunteer experiences although I did not have direct experience working or volunteering at a pharmacy. My interview went as well as I thought that it could have, but I did mess up one sentence where I began to talk and then lost track of the sentence so I abruptly ended it and then continued on as though nothing had happened. I just completed the interview questions to the best of my ability and did not stretch out my answers to make them longer. Good luck everyone!

1 hour ago, Hellohi said:

congrats ! Would you mind posting your stat?  (like GPA, LOI, and the interview)

I'm so stress !!

Yeah! I have a 4.0 gpa and I've worked in a pharmacy for 6 years, so I've got lots of experience. I think this helped a lot for my LOI. But I felt like my interview did not go very well, so I guess they consider all the factors even if the interview didn't go well. 

Best of luck!