Premed 101 Forums

Official University Of Alberta 2018 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2022

hopefullyhopeful

9 hours ago, BigPharma365 said:

Hey guys, I finished registering for my courses but I am getting a conflict between the seminars of pharm 243 and 213 in the winter term. Anyone else experiencing this?

Are you having difficulties adding this to your schedule? For me it seems like everything worked out. But the schedule is glitched where it doesn’t show 243

27 minutes ago, BigPharma365 said:

I was still able to register but I'm still concerned about the time conflict.

If you look underneath the schedule (where they list out your enrolled courses and times), it says the dates for seminars and they are on opposing weeks! It probably just works out that way. I wouldn’t worry about it :) 

9 hours ago, Neurosciencegrad said:

Has anyone received rejection letters yet? I'm getting very impatient as I have a job offer that I could accept but not sure if I should still save hope for the program :( 

I haven't heard either. I emailed them yesterday and they told me the final acceptance and rejection letters will be sent out in the next couple weeks...

Just now, LethyPharm said:

I haven't heard either. I emailed them yesterday and they told me the final acceptance and rejection letters will be sent out in the next couple weeks...

That is actually so annoying. First they say end of July, then beginning of August, now not until the middle of August! I don’t understand why it’s so disorganized! Are we expected to just wait around until the very last minute? Lol

I received my rejection letter about 2 weeks ago (July 23). You guys shouldn't be complaining. The fact that you haven't gotten one yet means that you may still have a chance or are high enough on the waitlist to reasonably still get accepted. My rejection came so early that I assume that I was no where near getting accepted.

Hi everyone. For those of you who have been accepted in the Pharm D program (congratulations!), how are you financing it? It appears that with this program, we won't have much time to actually work part time and then the summer time when we would normally work, we have to do it unpaid? So summer savings will be hard to achieve. I cringe at the thought of graduating with $80,000 in debt but unfortunately, that might be...

1 hour ago, Holmes2018 said:

Hi everyone. For those of you who have been accepted in the Pharm D program (congratulations!), how are you financing it? It appears that with this program, we won't have much time to actually work part time and then the summer time when we would normally work, we have to do it unpaid? So summer savings will be hard to achieve. I cringe at the thought of graduating with $80,000 in debt but unfortunately, that might be...

Welp. I’m already $33,000 in the hole, what’s another $80,000 :)))

I got a $125,000 student line of credit just in case from TD Bank. This is just back up with the yearly 22,500 I receive from AlbertaAid.

Its a lot of debt but what else can you do at this point. 

3 minutes ago, UhhhhhhOkay said:

Welp. I’m already $43,000 in the hole, what’s another $80,000 :)))

I got a $125,000 student line of credit just in case from TD Bank. This is just back up with the yearly 22,500 I receive from AlbertaAid.

Its a lot of debt but what else can you do at this point. 

How do you have $43000 in debt already? is this from undergrad?

3 hours ago, Holmes2018 said:

You can still work part-time during Fall/Winter, bonus points if it's as a pharmacy assistant.

28 minutes ago, Pharmm96 said:

Hey guys. So I got a letter this morning saying that the program is full and they may contact me if any additional seats open up. Is there a possibility I could still get accepted? 

I also got this letter. I think the chance is VERY minimal. As in, we may only get in if someone chooses to drop out of the program which is unlikely. 

On 6/30/2018 at 8:54 PM, LethyPharm said:

oh ok. Yeah I'm just wondering because i have a 3.75 last 2 years but a lower cumulative of 3.55 because my first year wasn't amazing.. Also feel that my LOI was good and interview was ok. Will apply again next year though if i don't hear anything soon

Hey this is so random but i was just inquiring what are the high school courses needed to prepare for pharmacy as im joining grade 12 next year and how competitive is it to get into faculty of science to study pre professional courses. Thanks

6 hours ago, ThatGirl12 said:

Hey this is so random but i was just inquiring what are the high school courses needed to prepare for pharmacy as im joining grade 12 next year and how competitive is it to get into faculty of science to study pre professional courses. Thanks

Make sure you take Bio 30, Chem 30, Math 30-1, and if you can take Math 31 (calculus) that would make it easier in university. Physics isn't needed for pharmacy schools in Canada but i took it in high school anyways. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I'm an undergrad in 2nd year and I just wonder that will the amount of credits in Fall/Winter matter in the selecting application process? I totally screwed up my first semester in my first year and only finished the whole year with 21 credits with 3 credits in a Spring course. My overall gpa is 3.55. 

I was kind of devastated when I heard that they prefered 30 credits for a full year course. Is everyone's GPA here are all of 60 credits for 2 years? Thanks!

• 8 months later...
On 6/14/2018 at 6:46 PM, student-123 said:

Omg! This is terrible! You should definitely contact them regarding it. I took the microbiology course separately from Athabasca (I am from u of c). However, for stat I took BIOL 315 and pharmacy advisor said it will replace stat requirement (now I’m afraid they will do the same). 

Did you contact pharmacy department?

On 6/14/2018 at 12:30 PM, student-123 said:

Wow, seems like lots of people are getting accepted already, congrats. My final transcript wasn’t received till earlier this week, I hope that doesn’t put me in a disadvantage :( Good luck to the people who are waiting; this waiting seems dreadful. 

Hey I'm not sure if this forum is still active, but I'm taking MICRB at Athabasca as well. How did you manage the online course? And did you dorm there as well considering it's long distance? @student-123

• 4 months later...
On 7/5/2018 at 5:04 PM, Rileymc14 said:

Hi everyone!

I got my acceptance letter yesterday. I'm a in province applicant and have already graduated with a bachelor in science. My end GPA was 3.64. But the biggest thing that helped my application I think is that I have been working as a pharmacy assistant for the last year and half since I graduated. I highly recommend finding a part time job as an assistant in a dispensary as it provides a ton of experience. 

hello, I was just wondering if you had experience working in a pharmacy before you got hired as a pharmacy assistant? And where did you get hired? I have been applying to a bunch of places for a pharmacy assistant position, but no luck. :(