Premed 101 Forums

Official University Of Alberta 2018 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2022

hopefullyhopeful

Hey guys, I also got an acceptance email this morning. I had an overall 3.8 GPA, with my last two years being both 3.9. My first year with the majority of my prerequisites was lower at a 3.6. I had no experience working in a pharmacy, although I still felt okay with my LOI and interview. For anyone worried about the length of their answers on the interview, all of mine were relatively short and to the point. Congratulations to everyone that got accepted, and good luck to the rest of you! :)

33 minutes ago, John17 said:

Hello 

I am a UofC student and was told by 2 different advisers from the Pharmacy Student services that BIOL 331 fulfilled the microbiology pre req. However, my admission was deemed ineligible, as according to the registrar's office, it doesn't. 

Has anyone else applying from UofC had this happen? It is extremely upsetting because I should not have to pay for a mistake made by the STUDENT SERVICES! It is so unfair.   

Omg! This is terrible! You should definitely contact them regarding it. I took the microbiology course separately from Athabasca (I am from u of c). However, for stat I took BIOL 315 and pharmacy advisor said it will replace stat requirement (now I’m afraid they will do the same). 

Did you contact pharmacy department?

1 hour ago, John17 said:

I have contacted them via email and phone, but no one has answered yet. I am not sure what is going on honestly, as I would expect to at least hear back from someone. Why did you decide to take microbio at Athabasca, how'd it go?

I wanted to make sure I have all the pre req done by this year, so I did it through Athabasca, as my schedule was already full. It went really well; it’s a lot of memorization though. I really hope they get back to you tomorrow. I knew bio 331 didn’t count for that requirement, because I read it somewhere before. The micro bio class from u of c counts though. 

Hi everyone,

I received my acceptance this afternoon. I was surprised, considering that it is relatively early and I thought I did poorly on all 3 oral interview questions. My LOI and the written portion of the interview were strong, however. 

To those waiting, please don't stress! I'm a second time applicant and I found the wait very difficult last year. Try not to overthink it and enjoy your summer! I know it's tempting, but don't spend all your time on your email. Don't let 3 months slip by waiting for something out of your control. Finally, if not this year, next year, don't stress!

Good luck to everyone waiting! I'm excited to meet you all in September! :)

5 minutes ago, TiramisuGirl said:

Hi everyone,

I received my acceptance this afternoon. I was surprised, considering that it is relatively early and I thought I did poorly on all 3 oral interview questions. My LOI and the written portion of the interview were strong, however. 

To those waiting, please don't stress! I'm a second time applicant and I found the wait very difficult last year. Try not to overthink it and enjoy your summer! I know it's tempting, but don't spend all your time on your email. Don't let 3 months slip by waiting for something out of your control. Finally, if not this year, next year, don't stress!

Good luck to everyone waiting! I'm excited to meet you all in September! :)

What was your overall and prerequisite gpa if you don’t mind me asking?

On 6/18/2018 at 9:48 PM, franky said:

My spoken english requirement has yet to be completed. I am just worried that it still just says 'initiated' on bear tracks and its past the deadline. I just emailed the registrar, any one else experiencing this?

My transcript says initiated, but I sent it back in April. My application also says "action needed" I'm not sure what that means because all my documentation has been submitted.

24 minutes ago, FrAcTiOn said:

My transcript says initiated, but I sent it back in April. My application also says "action needed" I'm not sure what that means because all my documentation have been submitted.

I'm an in-province applicant, so my transcripts were sent automatically through ApplyAlberta. It still took the registrar ~2 weeks to update my BearTracks status, so it might be that it takes a while. Still, 2 months sounds very fishy, I would definitely give them a call or contact through student connect (they're relatively fast). 

11 minutes ago, TiramisuGirl said:

I'm an in-province applicant, so my transcripts were sent automatically through ApplyAlberta. It still took the registrar ~2 weeks to update my BearTracks status, so it might be that it takes a while. Still, 2 months sounds very fishy, I would definitely give them a call or contact through student connect (they're relatively fast). 

Thanks for the advice, I just sent an inquiry.

I called the registrar and they said it takes them a week or 2 for them to receive and process any documentation that has been mailed to them but as long as it is post dated on june 15 or earlier, they would still accept it. I am just worried that while other applications gets reviewed, they won't review mine because not all requirements are completed. Congrats to all who got in already! Does anyone receive a rejection letter yet? Goodluck to everyone who is waiting.

On 6/14/2018 at 12:30 PM, student-123 said:

Wow, seems like lots of people are getting accepted already, congrats. My final transcript wasn’t received till earlier this week, I hope that doesn’t put me in a disadvantage :( Good luck to the people who are waiting; this waiting seems dreadful. 

Hey, I'm a current pharm student going into my 3rd year. I was in your same position a couple years ago, seeing people getting accepted without having my transcripts requested yet. No need to panic! I didn't get accepted until towards the end of June. And to anyone who doesn't get accepted at the end of June, if you don't get a rejection letter, you still have a chance! People get accepted up until September when people drop out of their spots. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

2 hours ago, Pharm263 said:

Hey, I'm a current pharm student going into my 3rd year. I was in your same position a couple years ago, seeing people getting accepted without having my transcripts requested yet. No need to panic! I didn't get accepted until towards the end of June. And to anyone who doesn't get accepted at the end of June, if you don't get a rejection letter, you still have a chance! People get accepted up until September when people drop out of their spots. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Hi! It's nice to see current students on the forum. Do you mind sharing your general experience with uAlberta's pharmacy program? What you enjoyed, didn't enjoy, wish you knew going in? Any advice is appreciated! :)

Hey guys, I’m heading into my 2nd year of pharmacy and just wanted to let you know that I didn’t receive my acceptance letter until July 5, so don’t worry too much :) My GPA wasn’t too high either at 3.45 with my last 2 years at 3.8. I believe that having graduated with degree may have helped my application a bit! 

6 hours ago, PharmCat said:

Hey guys, I’m heading into my 2nd year of pharmacy and just wanted to let you know that I didn’t receive my acceptance letter until July 5, so don’t worry too much :) My GPA wasn’t too high either at 3.45 with my last 2 years at 3.8. I believe that having graduated with degree may have helped my application a bit! 

Do you have any advice for incoming pharm students or students considering pharmacy? :) 

On 6/20/2018 at 2:34 PM, Salam19 said:

My understanding is that if the admission letters are not received by end of June, then the refusal letters will be received in early July. 

I am a second time applicant and I can say I am beginning to lose hope though I wrote the faculty and they told me the majority of admissions and refusals will be going out in the month of July and potentially August. I strongly think is a normal scam they say every year. Anyone knows the number of spots  left?!

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:03 PM, Boboeat said:

I am a second time applicant and I can say I am beginning to lose hope though I wrote the faculty and they told me the majority of admissions and refusals will be going out in the month of July and potentially August. I strongly think is a normal scam they say every year. Anyone knows the number of spots  left?!

I emailed the Faculty and I was told the same thing. My Bear tracks says Decision-Pending. I can see that there have been no admission letters so far posted here.

Anybody else has got admitted? Please post.

On 6/25/2018 at 12:25 PM, Salam19 said:

I emailed the Faculty and I was told the same thing. My Bear tracks says Decision-Pending. I can see that there have been no admission letters so far posted here.

Anybody else has got admitted? Please post.

I think some people got admitted already, read some older posts you can see that.  I don't just know how many people got admitted yet.