Premed 101 Forums

Official University Of Alberta 2018 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2022

hopefullyhopeful

25 minutes ago, LethyPharm said:

oh ok. Yeah I'm just wondering because i have a 3.75 last 2 years but a lower cumulative of 3.55 because my first year wasn't amazing.. Also feel that my LOI was good and interview was ok. Will apply again next year though if i don't hear anything soon

Don’t lose hope! We were given a deadline until June 14th to make a decision. After this time period I assume they will be rolling out more letters! 

Hi everyone!

I was accepted on June 18th as an OOP applicant. I have been trying to calculate what the possible tuition cost will be for the year, and I was just curious if anyone has ever heard a confirmed number? I get around $15,500 using the U of A tuition calculator. Is that accurate?

Looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall :)

Happy Canada day everyone! And congrats to those who were just admitted. :lol:

For those who are attending another school, does anyone know how the transfer process works? I'm still registered at UoC, but I don't know when one would usually talk to the registrar to get transferred or if I should wait for more paperwork.

Hey guys! I’m so happy for everyone that has gotten accepted! Im wondering if anyone is looking for a place to stay for the year. I have a condo near Clareview and am looking for a female roommate, was thinking it would be neat to have someone in my program. 

3 hours ago, Lynn123 said:

Hey guys! I’m so happy for everyone that has gotten accepted! Im wondering if anyone is looking for a place to stay for the year. I have a condo near Clareview and am looking for a female roommate, was thinking it would be neat to have someone in my program. 

I believe once everyone has been accepted  a Facebook page is made where you may have better luck!

2 hours ago, Salam19 said:

Hi,

Did you go for the appointment? If so, if not too much trouble, could you please share with us the non-confidential part of the meeting?  

I did, I booked an appointment in January regarding applying and what the admissions team would be looking for.

During the meeting they emphasized that they will ONLY be looking at the most recent 2 fall/winter academic GPAs. Yes this means that: pGPA or cGPAs do not matter unless they fit under this criteria, and spring/summer courses and their respective GPAs do not matter or account towards the application process. 

In addition, they stressed the importance of having a full course load (5 courses per semester). As an example if two students both applying with a 3.5 GPA, one with 9 courses and the latter with 10 courses per year. The student with the heavier course load would be admitted over the other.

Finally, I asked them to give me a weight on each part of the application process. They said the optional part of shadowing a pharmacist is essentially mandatory due to the fact that if one cannot take the time to do so, they dont have enough drive or care to be part of the program. Other than, they told me that your grades would be worth around 70% of the application and the other two parts would be worth around 30%.

This information is what I got from the meeting. Now, I have talked to someone who was on the admissions team for the class of 2021. They stated that they take the courses that were taken over the past 2 years and calculate multiple GPAs based on certain classes, emphasizing on Biochem and Pmcol. There are a few other GPAs that they calculate but all in all the focus is on biochem and pharmacology.

Im not sure how important this is or how this process will reflect the admission process that went on this year but it is worth noting. 

I hope this helps, and please excuse my poor writing as this is all done on my iPhone haha.

57 minutes ago, UhhhhhhOkay said:

I did, I booked an appointment in January regarding applying and what the admissions team would be looking for.

During the meeting they emphasized that they will ONLY be looking at the most recent 2 fall/winter academic GPAs. Yes this means that: pGPA or cGPAs do not matter unless they fit under this criteria, and spring/summer courses and their respective GPAs do not matter or account towards the application process. 

In addition, they stressed the importance of having a full course load (5 courses per semester). As an example if two students both applying with a 3.5 GPA, one with 9 courses and the latter with 10 courses per year. The student with the heavier course load would be admitted over the other.

Finally, I asked them to give me a weight on each part of the application process. They said the optional part of shadowing a pharmacist is essentially mandatory due to the fact that if one cannot take the time to do so, they dont have enough drive or care to be part of the program. Other than, they told me that your grades would be worth around 70% of the application and the other two parts would be worth around 30%.

This information is what I got from the meeting. Now, I have talked to someone who was on the admissions team for the class of 2021. They stated that they take the courses that were taken over the past 2 years and calculate multiple GPAs based on certain classes, emphasizing on Biochem and Pmcol. There are a few other GPAs that they calculate but all in all the focus is on biochem and pharmacology.

Im not sure how important this is or how this process will reflect the admission process that went on this year but it is worth noting. 

I hope this helps, and please excuse my poor writing as this is all done on my iPhone haha.

Thank you very much for sharing . This was indeed very useful.

1 hour ago, UhhhhhhOkay said:

I think my GPAs are competitive but my application status on bear tracks is still showing as "Decision Pending."

From your point of view, do you think it is a good idea to call the Faculty and inquire about the my application?

Thanks,

35 minutes ago, Salam19 said:

I think my GPAs are competitive but my application status on bear tracks is still showing as "Decision Pending."

From your point of view, do you think it is a good idea to call the Faculty and inquire about the my application?

Thanks,

I am under the assumption that the admissions board has already met and looked at all candidates and have ranked them accordingly. They are slowly rolling out admissions in batches. 

For us June 28 admissions, we have until July 14th to make our decisions. Therefore I believe the next batch of admissions would be around July 15th or a few days further.

But to answer your question I don’t believe inquiring would do much for you