Premed 101 Forums

Pharmacy job market in Canada

Bellz

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before.

I recently looked into pharmacy and I felt that this career was a perfect fit for me (still considering medical school though). I am kind of worried about the job market though and was wondering how it was in Canada, and more specifically, in Ontario? I know that the job market sucks in the US, and so i am wondering if the situation is similar here, or if it will become similar in the near future?

I am just so worried about going to pharmacy school and coming out with a huge debt and no job.

• 3 months later...

Can I ask why you feel pharmacy is the best career for you?

There are 3 main employment routes for a pharmacist in Ontario: community/retail, hospital, and industry. I've worked in community pharmacy for 3 years now, and can personally attest that many hospital pharmacists (esp. recent grads) are hired part-time without benefits, and pick up relief shifts in a community pharmacy to balance out their income. I also have friends who recently graduated and got hired on full-time at a Shoppers / Rexall right away, but only if they were willing to move outside of a big city. If you really have your heart set on hospital pharmacy, you should definitely start networking as early as possible and really keep your grades up because good residency placements are difficult to obtain.

I can't say much about the job market in industry, but if you're more business-oriented there's WAY more opportunity for advancement.

Archived