Premed 101 Forums
I_Love_Siberian_Huskies

Is practicing in Alberta more profitable compared to other provinces?

I am currently a dental associate in BC and I was looking at the fee guide for Alberta and it seemed way higher for BC.   I'm contemplating about moving to Alberta to pay off my debt as soon as possible. I've noticed in general that for job postings online, Alberta seems to have a lot more postings compared to BC. Wonder why. Is practicing in Alberta more profitable and more busier in general than other provinces? Thanks

Alberta for years has been the best place north certain US states for dentistry (excluding the territories). But its not just about how much they are charging. There is more to it than that! For example, dental hygienists in Alberta make the most when compared to other provinces. Right out of school they can make 45-50$ an hour. Also, Alberta has the nations most stringent infection control protocols. In short, yeah dentists in Alberta charge more than other provinces but its because their overhead is also extremely high, especially in the cores and surrounding areas such as Edmonton and Calgary. You would have to base your move based on more than a simple fee guide! best of luck. 

1 hour ago, Super Nova said:

Alberta for years has been the best place north certain US states for dentistry (excluding the territories). But its not just about how much they are charging. There is more to it than that! For example, dental hygienists in Alberta make the most when compared to other provinces. Right out of school they can make 45-50$ an hour. Also, Alberta has the nations most stringent infection control protocols. In short, yeah dentists in Alberta charge more than other provinces but its because their overhead is also extremely high, especially in the cores and surrounding areas such as Edmonton and Calgary. You would have to base your move based on more than a simple fee guide! best of luck. 

What are the territories like as a place to work as a dental associate (specifically Yukon)? I heard you can make a killing up in the territories. I don't think they even have fee guides up there, so clinics can charge as much as they want? I've had a phone interview at a clinic in Whitehorse, Yukon but decided against it because Whitehorse seems like a very expensive place to live (housing, food, insurance, etc). Almost more expensive (if not more) than the Vancouver area. 

The fee guide here in BC is terrible, and it seems you don't get rewarded for hard work here in BC compared to other provinces in the country. I don't know what it's like in Ontario though. But yes, I agree with you that fee guide isn't everything.

Agree with @malkynn, you can never make enough money if you don't keep your lifestyle in check. The big issue with dentists compared to physicians is that we graduate school and talk into anywhere between $120k-$200k in our first year of work whereas medical residents barely make above minimum wage considering the number of hours they put in. Best advice I heard for new dental grads is to "live like a resident" for the first couple years (i.e. ramen noodles over yorkville fine dining, honda over BMW, casio over rolex). Should be able to but aside bulk cash this way