Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites

1 hour ago, FatherFranklin said:

This year they sent out the least # of inteviews (498 as opposed to 500-600 the previous years) which means that we have a better chance of getting an offer! ~250 offers for 498 applicants is not so bleak. We need to keep thinking positive :)

Is this for real? :)  Where did you find this amazing info? :):) 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Livinalberta said:

Is this for real? :)  Where did you find this amazing info? :):) 

http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/reference-stats-2017.pdf

This is for 2016/17. Look under successful applicants. "N = 250". So 250 offers were made.

And we also know that we got 498 interviews from Dr. Walker's blog. So we should have a 1/2 chance of getting accepted.

1 hour ago, MSWschnoodle said:

Congratulations to all of you who scored interview invites this year! I remember going through this process 2 years ago and I had a great time meeting everyone when helping out at the interviews last year. I'm sad that I will be away on electives this year during the interview weekends but I know the Boops-Boops will welcome you all to campus and give you a great experience!

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to have a social work background? I noticed the "MSW" in your username :) I'm interviewing next month. I graduated with my MSW in 2016 and am working for AHS now. I would be so excited to see that another social work student had been admitted in a previous year.

1 hour ago, catlady403 said:

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to have a social work background? I noticed the "MSW" in your username :) I'm interviewing next month. I graduated with my MSW in 2016 and am working for AHS now. I would be so excited to see that another social work student had been admitted in a previous year.

I do indeed! :-) I just submitted my registration for 2018, in fact. Awesome to see more of us applying in! :D

Hi jengamaster.  I am not sure that you are going to have much luck changing your interview time slot other than logging into you UCAN and checking to see if anything opens up.  I have seen on previous posts from years past, where a member has posted to ask if anyone was willing to switch time slots.  You might try that?  As Dr. Walker said, the interview time slots are picked up very quickly.  Be thankful that you have an interview. :)

On 1/22/2018 at 4:36 PM, FatherFranklin said:

http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/reference-stats-2017.pdf

This is for 2016/17. Look under successful applicants. "N = 250". So 250 offers were made.

And we also know that we got 498 interviews from Dr. Walker's blog. So we should have a 1/2 chance of getting accepted.

I'm a bit confused about this - according to the application manual, there were 157 seats in this year's first year class. However you are right about the N=250 for successful applicants on their stats page. Do they really send out 250 offers for 157 seats and just hope that about 90 people will turn down the offer? 

12 minutes ago, naama said:

I'm a bit confused about this - according to the application manual, there were 157 seats in this year's first year class. However you are right about the N=250 for successful applicants on their stats page. Do they really send out 250 offers for 157 seats and just hope that about 90 people will turn down the offer? 

Or 90 people turn down the offer and then they fill from the waitlist. Or a bit of both. Going through, it seems to have varied from 177 (2010/11) - 283 (I forget; I think either 11/12 or 12/13) successful applicants.

While I was looking through it, I noticed an interesting admissions fact (2010/11): of the three people with the lowest pre-MMI scores, two were accepted. So you're not out 'till you're out.

Do you guys ever wonder what the caliber of interviewees are for med school? Specifically UofC? Are they generally charming, social, approachable people, or more like the typical nerd who is shy and reserved? Or a mix of both? I wonder because I want to know the kind of crowd I’m up against lol. I guess someone who’s already interviewed before would know

20 minutes ago, FatherFranklin said:

Do you guys ever wonder what the caliber of interviewees are for med school? Specifically UofC? Are they generally charming, social, approachable people, or more like the typical nerd who is shy and reserved? Or a mix of both? I wonder because I want to know the kind of crowd I’m up against lol. I guess someone who’s already interviewed before would know

I feel pretty confident in saying that everyone who gets invited to interview--including you--is someone who would fare quite well in medical school. It's too early to psych yourself out ;)

43 minutes ago, FatherFranklin said:

Interviewers don't really care if you are charming person or a shy/reserved person as long as you answer the question properly. I think individual who are more shy/reserved demonstrate qualities that may be required in the profession.. i.e.. they may be better listeners and/or reflective;  individuals who are charming and social.. etc have qualities that are  required by the profession as well... ie. they may be able to establish rapport faster, easier to speak with... But again it is necessary NOT to stereotype individuals!! Different personalities have different strengths and weaknesses and I don't think they are looking for one personality type, but instead diverse personalities that may complement each other.

I know you are probably curious about the qualities of your competition, which is normal, but I think it would be better to focus on who you are? What are your strength? What are your weaknesses? 

Best of Luck

4 hours ago, End Poverty said:

Interviewers don't really care if you are charming person or a shy/reserved person as long as you answer the question properly. I think individual who are more shy/reserved demonstrate qualities that may be required in the profession.. i.e.. they may be better listeners and/or reflective;  individuals who are charming and social.. etc have qualities that are  required by the profession as well... ie. they may be able to establish rapport faster, easier to speak with... But again it is necessary NOT to stereotype individuals!! Different personalities have different strengths and weaknesses and I don't think they are looking for one personality type, but instead diverse personalities that may complement each other.

I know you are probably curious about the qualities of your competition, which is normal, but I think it would be better to focus on who you are? What are your strength? What are your weaknesses? 

Best of Luck

Well said!:D

8 hours ago, End Poverty said:

Best of Luck

THIS. Ultimately, you will not be able to fundamentally change who you are as a person in 1 month. Focus on being yourself, and if you try to play a personality that you're not comfortable with, an interviewer (or anyone for that matter) will be able to spot it. Be confident in who you are, you've made it this far and the sky is the limit from here :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived