Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Interview Invites/Regrets 2018

Invite/Reject: Reject (MD)

GPA: 4.0

CARS : 131

Casper: I didn't think I did too bad tbh. My biggest regret is not practising typing speed more (I have slow typing speed) and in general not prepping more for Casper. Still not convinced that Casper has sufficient reliability and validity to be used for selection; seems like there's a lot of randomness involved. Anyone who has marked casper wanna chime in with their opinions on the marking scheme/rubric?  

Oh well, I tried my best :)

IP 3rd year currently

8 hours ago, yohohoy said:

Invite/Reject: Reject (MD)

GPA: 4.0

CARS : 131

Casper: I didn't think I did too bad tbh. My biggest regret is not practising typing speed more (I have slowing typing speed) and in general not prepping more for Casper. Still not convinced that Casper has sufficient reliability and validity to be used for selection; seems like there's a lot of randomness involved. Anyone who has marked casper wanna chime in with their opinions on the marking scheme/rubric?  

Oh well, I tried my best :)

IP 3rd year currently

That's a superb CARS score. This definitely proved out that your CASPer was dragged down your entire overall pre-interview score. Did you apply elsewhere/broadly enough this year?

Invite/Reject: Reject (MD) BUT I was WAITLISTED

GPA: 3.87

CARS: 127

CASPER: Got cut off a lot, a lot of my answers to the questions in the 2nd and 3rd box were basically in the first one

4th year undergrad.

Anyone know the chances of me getting off the waitlist? Don't know if I should accept rejection or still have hope.

6 minutes ago, chairs said:

Invite/Reject: Reject (MD) BUT I was WAITLISTED

GPA: 3.87

CARS: 127

CASPER: Got cut off a lot, a lot of my answers to the questions in the 2nd and 3rd box were basically in the first one

4th year undergrad.

Anyone know the chances of me getting off the waitlist? Don't know if I should accept rejection or still have hope.

I was waitlisted as well. Definitely bittersweet! I can't imagine that many people will decline an interview, so I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but I definitely will keep an eye on my inbox in the coming weeks nonetheless.

11 hours ago, TheC0median said:

Invite/Reject: Invite (MD)

GPA: 3.91

CARS: 129

Casper: Second year doing it - felt much worse this time as I had half completed sentences and not enough time.

OOP Graduated 2017.

Does anyone know how many OOP are invited for interview?  

This page states that 10% of interview seats go to OOP applicants. I believe this would be around 55 students from outside of Ontario this year? 

Time stamp: Jan 10 (yesterday) at 2:21pm.

GPA: 3.95  

CARS: 128

Casper: I typed a lot and tried to be as original as possible/look at scenarios with multiple perspectives and considerations while following a set format for structuring my answers. Felt bad about the last station because I didn't distribute my answers evenly. Apparently it wasn't that bad. 

IP

Graduated 2017 summer, working now.

With the same stats last application cycle, I didn't get a single interview invite. With prepping Casper last year, I really trusted Mac's whole "no need for much practice" thing. Just goes to show that there are strategies to tackle Casper. For those that got this initial rejection, please do not give up! I know it feels incredibly defeating, but this is unfortunately a part of the process. Good luck on the other schools! :)

8 hours ago, unarmed walrus said:

I was waitlisted as well. Definitely bittersweet! I can't imagine that many people will decline an interview, so I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but I definitely will keep an eye on my inbox in the coming weeks nonetheless.

I declined my interview last year and saw someone post about a day later that they got an interview of waitlist. 

I also know two different people previously that got interviews of a waitlist.

Its not super common but it happens! Dont give up hope

Time Stamp: Jan. 10, 2:20 PM

GPA: 3.93

CARS: 128

Casper: Felt good, read Doing Right and did practice. Did not prepare at all last year and did not receive an invite with the same stats so would definitely recommend putting time in to prepare and ramp up typing speed!

IP

19 hours ago, kookaroola said:

Time stamp: 10:08

Invite/Reject: Reject

GPA: 4.00

CARS: 131

Casper: I thought it went well but seeing this has made me think otherwise :(  Should have studied harder... I guess I'm just a bad person

Getting a Reject with your stats...did you by any chance say "shithole countries" on your Casper?

On 1/11/2018 at 0:25 AM, yohohoy said:

Anyone who has marked casper wanna chime in with their opinions on the marking scheme/rubric? 

Marker's evaluate each station individually on a 9 point likert scale. You mark ~50 responses to the same question in a row and are given suggestions for what answers should address, and are told to evaluate relative to the other answers you are marking. It's straightforward and as objective as it could be, I guess.

Time stamp: 3pm

Invite/Reject: rejected (MD)

GPA: 3.91 

CARS: 129

Casper: It felt okay! I spent about 2 weeks prepping. worked on typing speed and bought one of those fancy prep courses. i know i had quite a few spelling mistakes as I was trying to get all my thoughts down. but we were told spelling doesn't matter. evidently, it does.

IP

graduated 2016

On 1/14/2018 at 3:50 PM, jsilver said:

Casper: It felt okay! I spent about 2 weeks prepping. worked on typing speed and bought one of those fancy prep courses. i know i had quite a few spelling mistakes as I was trying to get all my thoughts down. but we were told spelling doesn't matter. evidently, it does.

Markers are told explicitly to ignore spelling mistakes... they even have a little test where you have to grade some example answers and it wants you to ignore the poor grammar/spelling answers.

• Leon pinned this topic
  • rmorelan unpinned this topic