Premed 101 Forums

Motor Vehicle Tax Deductions

I cover call at a few different hospitals, and as a result tend to drive around the city a fair amount when I'm on call. I logged my driving in 2017 and I am hoping to deduct a portion of my motor vehicle expenses on my taxes this year. The CRA website states that a trip to-and-from work each day are considered personal (i.e. non tax deductable). It is the extra driving beyond that first trip to work that you can deduct. However, I have a few situations like the one below that I am not sure what to do with:

Scenario 1:

- Drive from my house to hospital A (normal centre) to go see inpatients (trip to work)

- Drive from hospital A to hospital B to see a consult

- Drive from hospital B to home

That is, I didn't have to drive back to the first hospital. Can I deduct my final trip home? Or, do you think this would be considered the trip home, even though it is from a different location?

Scenario 2:

I drive from my house to hospital C and back. Hospital C is further away and don't work there routinely. I didn't have to go to my main centre (hospital A) that day. Does that trip to hospital C count as my "trip to and from work"? Or, can I deduct it because it is further away and not where I usually work.

Interested in your perspectives and experiences. Thank you!

Take this with a grain of salt as it is not tax-related but rather related to reimbursements from my former employer: they would typically reimburse the distance between my typical work place to where I had to go (both ways) when I had to work somewhere else.

Example: workplace A (usual) is 12 km away from workplace B (occasional). If I have to go to workplace B, I get reimbursed for 24 km (both ways) regardless of whether or not I went to workplace A before.

• 2 months later...

Archived