Premed 101 Forums

UAlberta Pharmacy Admissions 2018/2019 - Class of 2022?

PharmCrew

Hi everyone, 

I'm considering applying to pharmacy, but I'm worried that my GPA or application is not good enough? I feel fairly confident in acing the interview (if I even recieve an invite), and the letter of intent. However, my first year GPA is dragging me down because of a class I did really bad in. My current cumulative GPA is roughly a 3.3 and I know that competitive admissions is about a 3.5. Additionally, my pre-request GPA is about a 3.4. I was considering continuing third year and trying to upgrade all my marks. I sort of wanted to apply this year, in hopes to get an interview so that im exposed to the experience and that I don't regret it in the future. But, I'm also worried that if I apply this year, it may affect my application next year? 

Any thoughts, or suggestions? I'm a bit torn, especially because my GPA isn't as great as I was hoping for it to be. 

On 1/8/2018 at 7:37 AM, Hopeful Doctor said:

Hello PharmCrew,

It depends, what class was it that you mentioned pulled your GPA down. And have you withdrawn from any classes? Are you in-province? All of these are important consideration. 

Hey there, 

I am in-province. Additionally, I withdrew from one class, however upon speaking with the faculty they've stated that my withdrawl does not impact my application. Lastly, the class that is pulling my GPA down is not a prereq.

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2018 at 0:24 PM, Hopeful Doctor said:

Hello Hellohi,

The cumulative GPA is not rounded, it is kept as the value on your transcript, the value on your transcript may potentially be rounded depending on the faculty you are in. 

Other GPAs (best 30 credit year or pre-requisite GPA) are also not rounded as far as I know

Hey! 

Just wanted to point out that some GPA's are rounded. My first year GPA was rounded to 0.1, which was sort of upsetting because I got rounded down, and that is still the GPA that pharmacy will look it despite UofA's incorrect rounding. 

Archived