Premed 101 Forums

How happy are you with choosing medical achool and becoming a doctor? Êtes vous satisfaits d'avoir choisit la médecine comme carrière?

I know one person that willingly left after clerkship in year 3, and went back to school in a totally different field, eventually getting a PhD. Medicine just wasn’t for them. They seem pretty happy with their path and have a very successful career now.

But it’s definitely a scary and difficult thing to do, especially if you have a lot of debt. So it doesn’t surprise me that it’s not that common. I know a couple different people who have expressed a desire to leave medicine, but feel trapped to keep working until they’ve at least paid down the debt.

I'm a R1 in FM. For me, I've found medicine to be a great deal. I find fun and meaning in what I do. Sure as a resident the hours can be long and the demands taxing, and I don't always feel this way. Still, there have been enough breaks in my schedule to maintain my personal life and health. Also, the pay as a staff and the "prestige" of the field, as well as the incredible job market and stability of FM, makes me feel like its a great deal.

That is just my experience :).

I think it would be difficult/nearly impossible to get the experience of somebody who left med school/medicine to share their experiences on a medium like PM101. I feel like most people on here are aspiring premeds, med students, residents, and the odd staff physician. 

That being said, I encourage anyone unhappy in med school or medicine to look into the sunk cost fallacy. Freakonomics does a good podcast about it (the title of the episode is something about the benefits of quitting). Not to discourage people from pursuing medicine or grinding it out during training, but if you’re truly unhappy in medicine, it may be worth it to look elsewhere. It may be better for your mental health and current or future patients. 

Archived