Premed 101 Forums

Which semester is better to have a lighter schedule in?

Cuttlefish

I’m interviewing for the first time this year, while taking four classes. I’m more stressed about this semester than I was about last semester, and am appreciating that I have fewer labs and an easier course load. Interviews fall around midterms... I’m feeling like it’s going to be a little brutal lol. 

But... my grades last semester count towards my med apps. If I get in this cycle, My grades this semester (as long as I stay above a B+) won’t be considered at all. 

I didn’t find that I got too behind when doing apps last semester, mostly because they all open over the summer so you can get a lot done before the term starts. 

Best of luck!! 

Depends on the person. Throughout undergrad I always preferred lighter fall and heavier winter term, because you're more "in the zone" on things.  When I applied, I had a lighter fall semester and a much heavier winter semester. in the end, this worked for me because I took time off end of summer before and was only working on applications when school had started. OMSAS is due around fall midterms, so it helped that I had a lighter semester. Other things to consider: if you do a 4th year thesis, in fall, you need more time to adjust into lab, learn techniques, etc. That being said, winter semester combined with thesis writing and interview prep was brutal

Archived