Premed 101 Forums

uOttawa Interview 2018 Discussion

On 2/3/2018 at 9:29 PM, EthicsForBreakfast said:

Hey @Donald_Duck idk if you answered before but you're hella busy so if not I figured I'd try again lol :$ . Declining an interview doesn't count as one of your three strikes the same way interviewing and failing would, right? 

I thought I would answer this since my boyfriend is in the same situation, although for a different reason. He called Diane and she told him that he can decline the interview offer and it would NOT count as a strike. He could definitely apply again next year or the year after and get another interview. BUT he has to keep in mind that there is always the chance that he could not receive another interview because of the competition increasing every year. So it's a lot to think about, but ultimately, you have to do what's best for you :)

12 hours ago, brady23 said:

Hmm, not sure about this - I know the interview is basically worth 100%, so would a Master's really make you a better candidate? You can always do the masters after medicine as well. I just know people who've gotten interviews one year, and then don't manage to get it the next, which is why I think it might be worthwhile to attend. But obviously you've put a lot of thought into it and I'm not in your shoes, I'm just putting in my two cents :) 

It's not the MSc. designation I'm after but more the fact that the degree is in bioethics and the experience of living abroad for a year that I'm going to be gaining. Because I failed in the interview stage last time, I think this period of growth will be super beneficial and help me stand out a little more. My GPA will also be higher than this year if my last year of undergrad is counted vs. only my first 3 years. I could definitely not get another interview which I accept but it'll be all up from here :). Everything happens for a reason anyways. 

@Maggie19 THANK YOU! Your answer is exactly what I need bless xo 

@Donald_Duck I absolutely see where you're coming from but thankfully I have been offered a position contingent on my master's degree which will allow me to begin paying off debt if I decided to pursue something other than medicine. Thank you for your advice though :) 

6 minutes ago, Premedstudent0307 said:

Just to clarify, the interview is worth 100% and GPA is used if there in a tie between interview scores? Is this correct?

From what I understood last year, depending on how you do in the interview you are placed in a "basket" we'll call it. Then within that basket you are ranked by GPA. That's how people with much lower GPAs can get in above those with higher ones because they did well enough on the interview to be in a higher "basket". It's also how you can track your chances as people post. If someone posts with a lower GPA than you that they got in, you pretty much know you're not in their basket and have to hope you're in the next one lol. I could be wrong but I think this was how it was explained. The interview score is out of 4 as well, but I think it's more general like 4, 3.5, 3 etc. 

2 hours ago, EthicsForBreakfast said:

From what I understood last year, depending on how you do in the interview you are placed in a "basket" we'll call it. Then within that basket you are ranked by GPA. That's how people with much lower GPAs can get in above those with higher ones because they did well enough on the interview to be in a higher "basket". It's also how you can track your chances as people post. If someone posts with a lower GPA than you that they got in, you pretty much know you're not in their basket and have to hope you're in the next one lol. I could be wrong but I think this was how it was explained. The interview score is out of 4 as well, but I think it's more general like 4, 3.5, 3 etc. 

Pretty sure this is right. I got in off the waitlist and there was a definite pattern of people's GPA's going down in order (indicating they were still calling people within the same basket). Eventually the GPA would jump back up again and go down in order again, meaning they had moved on to the next basket and so forth. I think this happened about 2 or 3 times until the class was filled. (Unless things have changed this year). Good luck to everybody interviewing!

1 hour ago, m_jacob_45 said:

Pretty sure this is right. I got in off the waitlist and there was a definite pattern of people's GPA's going down in order (indicating they were still calling people within the same basket). Eventually the GPA would jump back up again and go down in order again, meaning they had moved on to the next basket and so forth. I think this happened about 2 or 3 times until the class was filled. (Unless things have changed this year). Good luck to everybody interviewing!

I believe you are correct - we see that basically every year :)

4 hours ago, EthicsForBreakfast said:

1 hour ago, m_jacob_45 said:

Interesting system, are there advantages to this over the classic 70% interview 30% GPA/MCAT/ABS?

2 hours ago, excelspreadsheet said:

Interesting system, are there advantages to this over the classic 70% interview 30% GPA/MCAT/ABS?

I feel like it’s a disadvantage lmao. Anyone with a GPA below 3.94 or so likely needs to rank within the top two MAYBE three baskets before chances begin growing slim. I think with this current system having a higher GPA gives you more of an advantage than if GPA combined with other factors. You’d be surprised just how many people that apply are 3.98+ and they will be top of whatever basket they’re in automatically. I think GPA can bite you in the ass more with UOttawa’s method than others. 

If your GPA didn’t knock you out the first round it’ll definitely come back swinging the second round LOL

6 hours ago, dinoDMX said:

Hey @Donald_Duck, I'm curious to know if you've heard of many people getting an interview based on a vacancy (invite after rejection) or when we would find out if this is the case? Trying not to hold out hope, just curious. 

From what I heard, this depends specifically on the stream.  I had a friend last year who received an interview after the waitlist, so it's entirely possible.  Just a heads up, they had less than a week's notice of the interview so something to keep in mind. 

• Leon pinned this topic
22 hours ago, Donald_Duck said:

It will be posted on youtube before dont worry :P A post will be made on the forum when its ready.

Mr Duck

Hey Mr. Duck,

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but chances are I will have multiple acceptances this year. With that in mind, I was wondering how I should make a decision between Ottawa/Mac/Toronto/Queens.

Thanks in advance :)

1 hour ago, premed_thr0waway said:

Hey Mr. Duck,

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but chances are I will have multiple acceptances this year. With that in mind, I was wondering how I should make a decision between Ottawa/Mac/Toronto/Queens.

Thanks in advance :)

0.0 wow there. dont count your chickens before they hatch. 

Trust me on this one. I had 10 interviews. Its good to be optimistic but wait till you actually get an acceptance to worry about that one.

On 2/7/2018 at 0:25 AM, Donald_Duck said:

Sorry for not answering the strike question totally disregarded it mb! Maggie got it covered tho :P And I admire your decision EthicsforBreakfast, I believe the same way everything happens for a reason :)

Mr Duck

Thank you Mr. Duck. Who knows, perhaps our paths will cross and we'll end up working together! It would definitely be an honour even though I'd never know and don't plan on asking every doctor I work with if they are Mr. Duck..... 

Anything anyone will say is biased and you shouldn't really trust what anyone says. That being said heres a short summary of what I heard:

Toronto: most popular and well known school. Big programs for residency and fellowship. Big on research. From what I hear a little intense for pre-clerk but those are just rumours. A little bit of a competitive vibe to it?

Mac: Their curriculum is just weird idk 0.o I actually prefer doing med over 4 years instead of 3, here at Ottawa we had a 3 week holiday break and we have 3 month summers, we also have 1 week march break. Those weeks are important to relax and take a break. The summers are key to be productive in research, do electives, and figure out what we want to do, be competitive for residency etc.. Not trying to be a lab rat for weird teaching methods...

Queens: No clue

Ottawa: We are a family everyone is nice here :D A little biased sure, but theres honestly a lot of faculty support, a lot of flexibility in afternoons to continue activities, do electives, research or go abroad in the summer, etc. We are close to CHEO and major hospitals as well as french hospitals. Overall I like it a lot here :) 

Mr Duck

• 2 weeks later...