Premed 101 Forums

uOttawa Interview 2018 Discussion

4 hours ago, LUUO said:

Good luck to everyone's who's interview is tomorrow! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to tell us if they're still using a long table and if we're required a megaphone prior to the interview. General comments are appreciated too (just don't violate the NDA!). 

Mission accepted. *message will self destruct in 5,4,3,....2......*

On 2/22/2018 at 3:08 PM, LUUO said:

Good luck to everyone's who's interview is tomorrow! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to tell us if they're still using a long table and if we're required a megaphone prior to the interview. General comments are appreciated too (just don't violate the NDA!). 

So basically.... long table... they can be quite far away but not to the point of needing a megaphone. Although, I would recommend stretching your neck and shoulders beforehand cause you'll be doing a lot of left-to-right-back-to-left movement with your head since they can be sitting on either side of you. Everyone was really nice and helpful and there's a round-table situation going on before your interview where you can share your hopes and dreams with other med hopefuls or as other people did, ask questions to the fourth year med students (they were pretty darn helpful). The interview itself goes by so fast, it's crazy (you know what they say, time flies when you're having fun!). On a serious note though, everyone tried to make you feel comfortable and the Youtube vid they showed in the info session was funny ( I was really impressed by the Rockstar cover ending... you'll know what I mean when you see it). Good luck y'all. Just think this, after the interview, there is just 2.5 months left to wait (Invites come out May 8th). No biggie. Just two point five months. That's just 10 weeks, or 72 days... 1728 hours...

49 minutes ago, Sincere said:

So basically.... long table... they can be quite far away but not to the point of needing a megaphone. Although, I would recommend stretching your neck and shoulders beforehand cause you'll be doing a lot of left-to-right-back-to-left movement with your head since they can be sitting on either side of you. Everyone was really nice and helpful and there's a round-table situation going on before your interview where you can share your hopes and dreams with other med hopefuls or as other people did, ask questions to the fourth year med students (they were pretty darn helpful). The interview itself goes by so fast, it's crazy (you know what they say, time flies when you're having fun!). On a serious note though, everyone tried to make you feel comfortable and the Youtube vid they showed in the info session was funny ( I was really impressed by the Rockstar cover ending... you'll know what I mean when you see it). Good luck y'all. Just think this, after the interview, there is just 2.5 months left to wait (Invites come out May 8th). No biggie. Just two point five months. That's just 10 weeks, or 72 days... 1728 hours...

How long was the round table situation before the interview? I didn't think there would be much time between registration and the panel, since the info session doesn't happen then

20 minutes ago, Eudaimonia said:

How long was the round table situation before the interview? I didn't think there would be much time between registration and the panel, since the info session doesn't happen then

Registration is legit 5 seconds. You come in, they ask for your name and ID ( DON'T FORGET ID!!!!!). Once they find your name, they give you a sticky name tag with your name printed on it and you go sit with everyone else for the rest of the 45 min prior to your interview. Then 10 min before your interview, you all have to move to another round table where they come and pick you off one by one... I mean, where they come get you for your interview!

18 minutes ago, medbruh said:

They want you there 45 minutes before your interview!

Haha right they explicitly said its for the purpose of relaxing prior to! That info was probably lost on me after reading through the lengthy email package. Thanks for the reminder

7 minutes ago, Sincere said:

Registration is legit 5 seconds. You come in, they ask for your name and ID ( DON'T FORGET ID!!!!!). Once they find your name, they give you a sticky name tag with your name printed on it and you go sit with everyone else for the rest of the 45 min prior to your interview. Then 10 min before your interview, you all have to move to another round table where they come and pick you off one by one... I mean, where they come get you for your interview!

Darn I thought with multiple interview rooms and times, that we wouldn't have to watch people get summoned one at a time

38 minutes ago, Sincere said:

Curious about the name tag, is it simply a “hello  my name is..” or did they personalize it a little bit? 

Thanks for the info! I suppose I could skip the megaphone and get Advil instead! But the biggest question is..was there food and how was it?

1 hour ago, Eudaimonia said:

Haha right they explicitly said its for the purpose of relaxing prior to! That info was probably lost on me after reading through the lengthy email package. Thanks for the reminder

Darn I thought with multiple interview rooms and times, that we wouldn't have to watch people get summoned one at a time

Yeah, you all get summoned at around the same time, within minutes of each other... but it's still nerve wracking to wait to hear your name...

48 minutes ago, LUUO said:

Curious about the name tag, is it simply a “hello  my name is..” or did they personalize it a little bit? 

Thanks for the info! I suppose I could skip the megaphone and get Advil instead! But the biggest question is..was there food and how was it?

The name tag is simple, just your first and last name written in font 18 Times New Roman (jks bout the font but you get the point). As for the food, I personally didn't take any but from what I saw, there was water, coffee (I think?), muffins, granola bars, those fruit sensation snacks (yum), and the snack size version of celebration cookies. You guys are trying to visualize the moment? 

6 minutes ago, Sincere said:

Yeah, you all get summoned at around the same time, within minutes of each other... but it's still nerve wracking to wait to hear your name...

The name tag is simple, just your first and last name written in font 18 Times New Roman (jks bout the font but you get the point). As for the food, I personally didn't take any but from what I saw, there was water, coffee (I think?), muffins, granola bars, those fruit sensation snacks (yum), and the snack size version of celebration cookies. You guys are trying to visualize the moment? 

I hate when they lay out food before the interview when what I really want is emotional eating once I come out

1 minute ago, fakedocpizzaface said:

Is there a spot to leave bags/purses and coats?

Coats - yes - coat rack ( makes beautifully chiming sounds reminiscent of a soft summer breeze)

Bags - Not lockers or anything like that. I left my bag at the reception table cause I didn't wanna take it in with me. They watched it for me! I wasn't the only one. So, that's an option

If we have significant downtime between our interview and another component of the interview day (e.g. the tour or info session), what should we do with that time? My interview is at 11 AM and the info session isn't offered until 1:40 PM. Should I leave and come back? 

21 minutes ago, mew said:

If we have significant downtime between our interview and another component of the interview day (e.g. the tour or info session), what should we do with that time? My interview is at 11 AM and the info session isn't offered until 1:40 PM. Should I leave and come back? 

There should be a tour offered at 12:00 that you can do in between! There are also some places to grab lunch/a snack in the hospitals (the CHEO caf, Tim Horton’s in the General, or the caf in the General). Or you can ask Chantal or Diane what they would recommend doing in between. :) 

48 minutes ago, Morinphen said:

Has anyone else done their interview already? I legitimately felt like I choked even after practicing so much, started off nervous, panel was stone-faced, even corrected me several times. Terrible feeling, with my gpa I needed to kill it and I felt like I didn't

Haha I wonder if we had the same panel. Mine were cold, interrupted me and corrected me. Same feeling as you with lower GPA. No point worrying now though! It's done now, try to forget about it and focus on school/work/etc! 

9 minutes ago, Eudaimonia said:

Corrected you?! Did their questions have "correct" answers?

I’m wondering this as well. Could they be correcting you on information you said on your ABS? Unfortunately I don’t think he could go into much detail as it’s probably protected by the NDA they had to sign (is it an NDA or something else? Haven’t done my interview yet). 

1 hour ago, Morinphen said:

Has anyone else done their interview already? I legitimately felt like I choked even after practicing so much, started off nervous, panel was stone-faced, even corrected me several times. Terrible feeling, with my gpa I needed to kill it and I felt like I didn't

The variability of panels seems very unfair. Unlike an MMI, you are faced with scowls for the entirety of the interview. However, if it is the interviewer putting on a front, they will be evaluating candidates who all had the same feedback experience as you and must've also found it difficult. Hopefully that equalizes something, so don't worry too much!