Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts on St Georges University of London/University of Nicosia Medical School?

Hi everyone. I have seen these advertisements for the University of Nicosia in Cyprus all around my campus. The advertisement states that they grant a British medical degree. I suppose they are affiliated with St Georges University? Does anyone know what their reputation/match rates are like? Just curious to know in case I need to look at international options.

1 hour ago, vino said:

Hi everyone. I have seen these advertisements for the University of Nicosia in Cyprus all around my campus. The advertisement states that they grant a British medical degree. I suppose they are affiliated with St Georges University? Does anyone know what their reputation/match rates are like? Just curious to know in case I need to look at international options.

Once you attend a non-US/non-Canadian university, you will be considered to be an "International Medical Graduate" (IMG) upon graduation. 

You will be in the sample pool of applicants as those who graduated from other non-US/non-Canadian universities.

https://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-CaRMS-Forum-web-deck-EN.pdf --> Go to Slide 40 for match results by region. No matter how you slice or dice it.. Cyprus.. UK.. the match rates are low compared to ~95% match rate of CMGs.

In my opinion, I would exhaust all my options in Canada/US before thinking anything abroad.

Just now, la marzocco said:

Once you attend a non-US/non-Canadian university, you will be considered to be an "International Medical Graduate" (IMG) upon graduation. 

You will be in the sample pool of applicants as those who graduated from other non-US/non-Canadian universities.

https://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-CaRMS-Forum-web-deck-EN.pdf --> Go to Slide 40 for match results by region. No matter how you slice or dice it.. Cyprus.. UK.. the match rates are low compared to ~95% match rate of CMGs.

In my opinion, I would exhaust all my options in Canada/US before thinking anything abroad.

Thanks, unfortunately I am not sure how competitive of an applicant I can become for Canadian schools. I am still in my undergrad (3rd year) but my GPA probably won't be more than 3.65 by the end of my 4th year to be honest. I might take a 5th but we'll see. 

You have a non-negligible shot with weighing formulas or with a solid MCAT. If that doesn't work out, do a second undergrad. If that doesn't work out, try again while considering alternative careers. If that doesn't work out, go carib and try to make it back to US/Canada. If that doesn't work out, you're left with an insane debt you can't possibly pay back.

If you're going to go abroad, go to a different progam.  Its somewhat of a licensing agreement for name of sorts... Look into it yourself, its been mentioned on this forum and SDN i'm sure.  You're better off with the tried and true international options, than this weird 2 years in cyprus 2 years in the US program.. 

Its been a while since i read up on that school, so look into it yourself. 

@Edict may know more. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but i am very sure there was something about the qualifications or classifications of the program being a potential issue for foundation training.. 

Just now, JohnGrisham said:

If you're going to go abroad, go to a different progam.  Its somewhat of a licensing agreement for name of sorts... Look into it yourself, its been mentioned on this forum and SDN i'm sure.  You're better off with the tried and true international options, than this weird 2 years in cyprus 2 years in the US program.. 

Its been a while since i read up on that school, so look into it yourself. 

@Edict may know more. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but i am very sure there was something about the qualifications or classifications of the program being a potential issue for foundation training.. 

I see that makes sense, thanks. I'll be sure to steer clear and probably just stick with Ireland or the UK if I go the international route. I just see all these advertisements around my university so was super curious. 

3 minutes ago, vino said:

I see that makes sense, thanks. I'll be sure to steer clear and probably just stick with Ireland or the UK if I go the international route. I just see all these advertisements around my university so was super curious. 

Anecdotally, a few friends of mine did their medical degrees at University of Limerick and Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) and managed to match back to Canada in family medicine.

1 hour ago, vino said:

Thanks, unfortunately I am not sure how competitive of an applicant I can become for Canadian schools. I am still in my undergrad (3rd year) but my GPA probably won't be more than 3.65 by the end of my 4th year to be honest. I might take a 5th but we'll see. 

What is your MCAT score? Non-academics?

Take a 5th year, that is a good idea regardless. More time for boosting GPA and more ECs

Just now, la marzocco said:

Anecdotally, a few friends of mine did their medical degrees at University of Limerick and Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) and managed to match back to Canada in family medicine.

Limerick is probably my number one choice for Ireland (tuition is a bit lower than RCSI). I am 100% interested in psychiatry though. Is it an even worse idea to go overseas if I am so set on psych? 

Just now, JohnGrisham said:

What is your MCAT score? Non-academics?

Take a 5th year, that is a good idea regardless. More time for boosting GPA and more ECs

Haven't written the MCAT yet. Non academics are nothing special. Some work, couple hundred hours of volunteer work which is ongoing, probably 1 year of undergraduate psychological research by the time I am finished my undergrad. 

20 hours ago, vino said:

Don't go there. You will run in all sorts of issues trying to deal with licensing agencies when you try to explain you did a medical degree affiliated with 2 universities one in Britain and one in Cyprus. The school was mainly intended as an offshore school for Brits who couldn't get into british medical school. 

Stick to something tried and true, for Canada its Ireland, Australia, UK (proper uk not offshore), Caribbean. Although if you want Canada stick with Ireland, Aus and UK more than Caribbean, but if you want the US the Caribbean gets the job done.  

• 2 weeks later...

On 2018-01-13 at 5:09 PM, vino said:

Limerick is probably my number one choice for Ireland (tuition is a bit lower than RCSI). I am 100% interested in psychiatry though. Is it an even worse idea to go overseas if I am so set on psych? 

I interviewed on the same day as IMG candidates for UBC psych.  There were apparently about 50-60 interviews for 2 spots.  I can't imagine how many people applied.  Your odds are not good in Canada to say the least.  I know in US getting into psych as an IMG is much, much easier due to the sheer number of spots.  It seems to be a less popular specialty in US compared to Canada.

Archived