Premed 101 Forums

Panel Style Practice

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to practice for Western's Panel style interview? Should I just start practice answering questions someone asks me? Like random questions (of course in the realm of a typical med school interview)..because this is essentially what the interview will end up being I am assuming!

• 2 weeks later...

I would say you want to get comfortable talking about yourself, highlighting what's good about you, and try to be able to articulate what you gained from the EC's that you've done in the past. Try to get a sequence down for how you would consistently answer ethical questions. If you're in London right now, try the MMI practice sessions that Western runs. They were super helpful last year (even if you don't have an interview that's in MMI format). Here's the link. I think it was $5 per session last year and a lot of the people from Western who got in with me were at those sessions. http://success.uwo.ca/careers/events/multiple_mini_interviews_mmi.html . Message me if you have any other questions, I'd love to help :)

I think the best way to practice depends on who you are as a person. I know people who went all out and filmed themselves doing practice interviews with several people, which they then watched back, while I personally did very little prep. This worked best for me because I feel like too much prep would've resulted in me coming up with semi-scripted answers, which makes me nervous because then I worry too much about going off of my "perfect" script. But then again, I am a little bit older and had some interview experience in my 6 months prior to interviewing for med school. So just think about what prep style would make you feel most comfortable. 

The questions will be a combination of personal questions and questions about how you would handle specific situations. For the personal questions, I prepped by taking some time to introspect on my various life experiences (school, volunteering, personal situations I've been in, etc.) and how each one affected/impacted me, how I handled the situation(s), what I learned from them, etc. That way I didn't come up with scripted answers but I had a solid idea of my thoughts on those experiences. I would make sure you also have a good handle on why you want to go into medicine, what interests you about being a doctor, why you might want to go to Western, etc. I personally did no prep for the "here is an ethical situation, what would you do?" type questions, though if you feel you need it, it wouldn't hurt to find some example questions online and practice answering them. I think the best way to approach those is to take a couple of seconds to think about your answer and then present a balanced, well-articulated viewpoint on what YOU think the best response is. There's not really one right answer to those, basically just show that you can see all sides of the dilemma when considering how you would handle the situation and don't give any extreme answers. 

^ also hello fellow schulich 2021 :D

Archived