Premed 101 Forums

Science Prereq VS Better Grades

DrNutrition

Hi there!

I've done all the BIOL and CHEM prerequisites for med school (in Quebec) 5 years ago during my first undergrad, but my final grades were pretty bad (between D+ and C). I just started a new undergrad and would like to know if it's better for me to retake those BIOL and CHEM courses or I should focus on getting very competitive grades in my new courses instead? I would like to know if the more courses I take, the least they'll consider the grades I got in BIOL and CHEM ? I always thought that the more course credits you do, the least each of them will count in the final calculation for med school...

Thank you for your answers!

Technically, if you do a 3 or 4 years undergrad, your pre-requisites courses would be expired by the time you finish ( 8 years) so you would have to retake them anyways. No it doesn't work that way, your prerequisits marks  are one thing, and your undergrad GPA is another.  We are all different, but if I were you, I would  focus on my undergrad classes on the first year and retake the prerequisites by the end of my bachelor. 

3 hours ago, SunAndMoon said:

^ No - if they do a second undergrad in sci (granted that their first one was also in sci) it could take them 2y to complete it entirely.

OP, focus on ur second ug and retake lowest prereqs in the summer (unless your recommended courses are excellent).

Thanks a lot !!! 

• 1 month later...

OP, 

I was in your shoes (kinda) last year and this year I got an interview! 

My advice- Make sure you complete 45 credit with impeccable transcript and in those 15 you should include their "Recommended Courses". If your average of the recommended courses is higher than your pre-req courses, then they take that one. Good luck and don't give up. Hard work does pay off. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 9.31.09 AM.png

Hi OP,

If you intend on applying for the IP university category, make sure that you do well in your UG courses (in order to get an interview) AND the pre-reqs or recommended courses (depending on which you're allowed to use). High UG grades could get you an interview, but I think your pre-req grades would really pull down your overall ranking as they would make up 20% of post-interview ranking. In this scenario, I would recommend re-doing the pre-reqs or recommended courses (make sure you verify which ones are included). SunAndMoon is right, start off by doing your lowest scored courses. 

If you are applying as an NTP, then focus on your UG courses first and foremost. I don't think your science pre-reqs are taken into account (please correct me if I'm wrong). If you get an interview, the final ranking would be 100% on interview. 

Tl;dr: Try to do well in all your UG courses. If your pre-req/recommended science courses are going to be taken into account, I would recommend re-doing them to have a competitive advantage should you be invited for an interview. 

All the best!

Archived