Premed 101 Forums

Biased med school admissions?

I'm sure some of you have seen this data and I might be too late to the party but in case you haven't I though I share it because it seems like it interests most of us on here. The research study confirms what most of us probably agree with which is most students want to become doctors just to make a living and the hope is that the system can filter them but it turns out the system cannot and it also seems like it's might be causing bias. I think this has a lot of interesting data for you all to take a look at about admissions in Canada. 

https://sortsmart.io/blog/canadian-medical-school-admissions-study

You know your data is BS when your inquiry as to why people want to be doctors includes ONLY the following choices: 

- be a leader and make money 

- help and make money 

- following on the footsteps of mom and dad

- help even if i had to volunteer 

Obviously the majority of participants will pick something that will lead you to "conclude" that they "are extrinsically motivated to pursue medicine by status, financial gain, or family tradition". Your survey is ridiculously flawed.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting read, but it's nothing new. Medicine  has always been the rich man's sport. It's become more inclusive in the modern era, but the bias remains and likely will remain for ages to come.

I don't think admissions committees are to blame. It's historical bias against people of lower socioeconomic status that exists in all societies. These barriers can be overcome, and it's done every single day, but the challenges are often insurmountable to the typical person. We in the western world do not live in a truly meritocratic society: merit alone cannot overcome. It's often merit and privilege

Archived