Premed 101 Forums

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, ChemDent96 said:

Refused....

OOP

GPA: 3.98

EC: Over 600 + volunteer hours, 2 publications (as an undergradute), several employment and extracurriculars

CASPER: Thought it went ok, but obviously it did not.

Very confused, but time to move on.  Good luck to everyone who receives an interview.

you should try asking them what to improve on because casper only counts for 10% of ur entire file, and ur gpa and extracurricular look great.

Has anyone still not heard anything back? 

Just got refusal email:

10:30 EST

OOP

3.95, biology degree

EC: lots of volunteering, employment, 2 school teams, dental shadowing

CASPer: went well enough to get interview for UBC

Seems like the OOP caliber is ridiculous this year! Lots of rejects with outstanding applications.

Sorry for the delay, but I forgot to post it here too. Here are my stats:

IME STAMP: 11:16 am (Jan 24th)
Result: Invite
wGPA: 3.96
MCAT: N/A
ECs:  Almost 8 years work at the reception in a dental clinic, over 2yrs work in Dementia research (no publications so far, hopefully soon), STEM outreach volunteering (3 yrs) with kids, Science Fair Judge (2 yrs) high school level +  multiple one time volunteering events, few scholarships and academic awards, and a member of an honour society
Year: BSc Biology completed in 2015, Second BSc in Psychology.

IP/OOP/International: IP

Letter of EC: No

CASPer: I thing I did well. It is hard to say. I did not prepare much, but I found most of the Qs interesting to answer!

PS. I just want to say congrats to all of you who got an invite and for those who did not, DO NOT GIVE UP! I have been applying to Dent for the last 6 years, and this is my first invite! I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!! :)

On 1/25/2018 at 6:05 AM, sa9o said:

Sorry for the delay, but I forgot to post it here too. Here are my stats:

IME STAMP: 11:16 am (Jan 24th)
Result: Invite
wGPA: 3.96
MCAT: N/A
ECs:  Almost 8 years work at the reception in a dental clinic, over 2yrs work in Dementia research (no publications so far, hopefully soon), STEM outreach volunteering (3 yrs) with kids, Science Fair Judge (2 yrs) high school level +  multiple one time volunteering events, few scholarships and academic awards, and a member of an honour society
Year: BSc Biology completed in 2015, Second BSc in Psychology.

IP/OOP/International: IP

Letter of EC: No

CASPer: I thing I did well. It is hard to say. I did not prepare much, but I found most of the Qs interesting to answer!

PS. I just want to say congrats to all of you who got an invite and for those who did not, DO NOT GIVE UP! I have been applying to Dent for the last 6 years, and this is my first invite! I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!! :)

Hi Sa9o, you mentioned that ur Western GPA is 3.96, do u happen to know what ur McGill equivalent GPA was? It was calculated on the excel document required for McGill's application, and i thought it would help to better compare everyone's GPA for applicants readings this thread this year and in the years to come. Thanks!

On 1/27/2018 at 7:01 PM, Driillzz said:

Hi Sa9o, you mentioned that ur Western GPA is 3.96, do u happen to know what ur McGill equivalent GPA was? It was calculated on the excel document required for McGill's application, and i thought it would help to better compare everyone's GPA for applicants readings this thread this year and in the years to come. Thanks!

HI there. Actually the 3.96 is my McGill GPA. Sorry for the confusion, I just copied the categories form someone else's post and I did not realize it said "wGPA".

Hi,

I know my question might be strange to you but can please let me know which Mcgill Dental Program interview you are talking about? According to Mcgill's Faculty Of Dentistry, there are three undergrad programs:

• 4 Year Dental Program
  • 5 Year Dental Program
  • Degree completion Program

As an International Student, my wife wants to apply for Degree Completion Program and I know that there are several interviews in the equivalency process. So I was wondering if you guys are talking about these interviews?

2 hours ago, hossein1387 said:

Hi,

I know my question might be strange to you but can please let me know which Mcgill Dental Program interview you are talking about? According to Mcgill's Faculty Of Dentistry, there are three undergrad programs:

• 4 Year Dental Program
  • 5 Year Dental Program
  • Degree completion Program

As an International Student, my wife wants to apply for Degree Completion Program and I know that there are several interviews in the equivalency process. So I was wondering if you guys are talking about these interviews?

im pretty sure we're all talking about the 4 year program and besides, the 5 year one is only accessible to QC CEGEP students, which ur wife is not. As for ur third option "degree completion  program", i dont know what that is, ive never heard of it.

41 minutes ago, Driillzz said:

im pretty sure we're all talking about the 4 year program and besides, the 5 year one is only accessible to QC CEGEP students, which ur wife is not. As for ur third option "degree completion  program", i dont know what that is, ive never heard of it.

Degree completion is for internationally trained dentists who’d like to practice in Canada... they either have to write several exams to qualify or enter such programs at faculties of dentistries throughout Canada. The length of such programs is usually 2 years, give or take.

Gl :) 

20 hours ago, Driillzz said:

19 hours ago, FiftyshadesofMD said:

Degree completion is for internationally trained dentists who’d like to practice in Canada... they either have to write several exams to qualify or enter such programs at faculties of dentistries throughout Canada. The length of such programs is usually 2 years, give or take.

Thanks for your responses. My wife is actually a dentist in Iran but since we decided to live in Canada (I am a citizen of Canada), she needs to go through the equivalency process. So I was wondering if the interview that you guys are talking has anything to do with the Degree Completion Program interviews. Now I know which program you guys are talking about, thanks!

19 hours ago, FiftyshadesofMD said:

By the way, any recommendation for the equivalency process? She is doing the AFK (Assessment of Fundamental Knowledge)  exam in Aug and she will be applying for Mcgill's Degree Completion Program in September.   

6 minutes ago, hossein1387 said:

By the way, any recommendation for the equivalency process? She is doing the AFK (Assessment of Fundamental Knowledge)  exam in Aug and she will be applying for Mcgill's Degree Completion Program in September.   

Unfortunately I don’t know much about the admissions process for the internationally trained dentists’ stream... except that there are two avenues to take: 1. Challenge the practical exam which is preceded by the AFK. 

2. Enter a 2-year program at a faculty of dentistry affer the AFK. now how competitive this process is, I really don’t know... 

I hope your wife will get into McGill :) 

58 minutes ago, FiftyshadesofMD said:

Anyone happens to know if any OOP pre-interview waitlist movement will happen this year ? My close friend is #5 and he is wondering if he needs to start preparing...

And just so everyone knows, there are 32 of us interviewing at McGill as OOPs :) 

Thanks for sharing the info with us. Do you happen to know how many offers of admission they’ll make out of these 32?

1 hour ago, FiftyshadesofMD said:

Anyone happens to know if any OOP pre-interview waitlist movement will happen this year ?

I am also very curious about this since I am in this same boat. Does anyone know if and/or how much the OOP pre-interview waitlist moves? It would be great to have an idea!! :) 

1 hour ago, FiftyshadesofMD said:

My close friend is #5 [on the pre-interview waitlist] 

How did your friend determine this? Did they just email admissions? 

1 minute ago, fungi.funguy said:

I am also very curious about this since I am in this same boat. Does anyone know if and/or how much the OOP pre-interview waitlist moves? It would be great to have an idea!! :) 

How did your friend determine this? Did they just email admissions? 

He simply requested for his ranking. Good luck :) 

Archived