Premed 101 Forums
_dreamville

To all prospective dentists

If dental school students held a presentation discussing how they got into dental school what would you like to know? How could we help you? I feel like we have some valuable insights we would like to share and we are working with our faculty to get something like this running, but I wanna know what is most important for you to know? We can discuss our journey to dental school, our experiences with the DAT, and with the interview. Personally I feel that knowledge would have been invaluable to me if it was coming from people who were already admitted. There were so many things I found out after I was admitted that would have been useful for me to know beforehand, but is there anything specific on your mind? What do you want to hear about most?

Thank you for doing this dreamville, this a great idea!

For me, I would like to know how, those who didnt get in on their first try, were able to improve their chances for the next cycle. I hear many people taking an extra year of school full of GPA boosters but since that year isnt taken into account during the application cycle, I would really like to know what applicants can do after they graduate (i.e. during gap year) to increase their chances at a Canadian dental school.

I know their is now magic formula, but hearing what others have done can be very inspirational to the rest of us!

Appreciate this mate!

I would just like to ask whether or not you're having fun. If you had the chance to do it over again, would you choose the same field?
Also wondering if you still have time for other interests and hobbies, or if dental school is all-consuming. 

18 hours ago, neil2192 said:

Advice on the interview would be very useful. I applied to us schools this cycle with traditional interviews and got accepted, but Canadian schools use CDA or mmi type interviews which led to me getting rejected last year. 

It’s probably not the interview styles but rather the US generally is less competitive than Canadian schools tbh

For those who are looking for interview tips or ways to improve, I can spare some time and help with explain things that made me improve and see where you might be lacking. I went from 0 interviews to 4 last year and got accepted in 3 out of the 4 schools. I've got experience in MMI/CDA/Panel and would love to give back! Feel free to PM

FYI, i will not be giving out information about past questions or what to "focus on for school x". I intend to honour all my confidentiality agreements. 

27 minutes ago, Coronaxtra said:

For those who are looking for interview tips or ways to improve, I can spare some time and help with explain things that made me improve and see where you might be lacking. I went from 0 interviews to 4 last year and got accepted in 3 out of the 4 schools. I've got experience in MMI/CDA/Panel and would love to give back! Feel free to PM

FYI, i will not be giving out information about past questions or what to "focus on for school x". I intend to honour all my confidentiality agreements. 

You are my idol :D

46 minutes ago, Coronaxtra said:

The best thing to do for interviews is be yourself. Answer the questions honestly and to the best of your abilities. People are trying too hard to be someone their not. It’s easy to defend your perspective when you have a belief system backing it up. Everyone is different. 

1 hour ago, Heremy Jo said:

As someone who is in dental school right now, I made an account here just to post this: Please Please Please do not try and be someone you are not during interviews. Being a horrible person in real life will get you nowhere in life, even if you do end up getting into dental school. At the end of the day, being a healthcare professional means a lot more than being a cutthroat and spiteful individual. Work on being a good person overall and the interview stage should be no problem. Getting into dental school may seem like a rat race but at the end of the day, an interviewer can easily spot a genuine person from a mile away. 

Best of luck to you everyone,

Heremy Jo

Preach