Premed 101 Forums

conditional acceptance

Yes people get accepted through this route all the time. We don't know how they treat the second year mark, they might be attributing a 3.7 to it and adding it to your 1 year GPA and dividing by 2, in which case you're looking at an uphill battle regardless, but especially with a 3.82. But yes it is do-able. 

Hi Infinity101! recently i emailed western and they said that as long as you have 1 year that meets the requirements that all you need at the time of application and 1 year pending. Your previous years do not come into play when applying even if its conditional:) 

hope this helps! good luck!

51 minutes ago, infinity101 said:

hey

do you mind sharing a bit of details of your personal application? I would really really appreciate it!

@infinity101 Of course! From what I can remember, I had a 3.99 GPA in my 4th year, which is the year I used for my application. I applied in my 5th year, so I knew I needed to get above a 3.7 that year or I was screwed for Western. My MCAT was 515: 130,126,129,130 (SWOMEN application, which is why I was fine with below 129 CARS). I tried to have a variety of EC's but I had no research. Had 3 academic reference letters from old professors. That's pretty much all I can think of right now, let me know if there's anything else specific that you would like to know!

19 hours ago, aray623 said:

@infinity101 Of course! From what I can remember, I had a 3.99 GPA in my 4th year, which is the year I used for my application. I applied in my 5th year, so I knew I needed to get above a 3.7 that year or I was screwed for Western. My MCAT was 515: 130,126,129,130 (SWOMEN application, which is why I was fine with below 129 CARS). I tried to have a variety of EC's but I had no research. Had 3 academic reference letters from old professors. That's pretty much all I can think of right now, let me know if there's anything else specific that you would like to know!

do you think that being a swomen worked to your advantage, for the gpa?

4 hours ago, infinity101 said:

do you think that being a swomen worked to your advantage, for the gpa?

I mean, it might have. I really have no way of knowing. I would say it would have helped me with the CARS score if anything, rather than the GPA. 

4 hours ago, infinity101 said:

wow, I confused that a b+ is a 3.5, rather than a 3.3, which brings down my gpa to 3.79. would an excellent mcat score be helpful? I don't think i have really strong ec's either. :( And, this is my second degree 

No one really knows the calculation of who gets in after the interview. It could be that anyone who hits the cutoffs (3.7+ and all the MCAT categories) gets an interview and then all that matters is the interview after that. Or there could still be some weight and the interview only makes up a portion of your final score. I've known people with a lower GPA than you who have gotten in who weren't SWOMEN. I would just say try your best on the MCAT (if you haven't taken it already), and there's always the option of taking another year of this degree before you graduate to up your GPA a bit. 

Did you apply to this cycle? Or will you be applying in October?

You have no reason to go into an interview at Western thinking your GPA disadvantages you relative to anyone else interviewing. We admittedly don't know how - or even if - GPA is used in the post-interview rankings, but with only 450-ish interview slots and a surplus of strong applicants, we can pretty safely assume that Western will not interview someone with virtually no chance of being admitted. If you get an interview, you have a real shot at getting in - no ifs, ands, or buts. At that point, you need to focus on putting your best foot forward to show the panel why you will make a great physician, rather than worrying about how your stats compare to anyone else who got one.

Best of luck!

On 1/26/2018 at 9:38 PM, Neunundneunzig said:

You have no reason to go into an interview at Western thinking your GPA disadvantages you relative to anyone else interviewing. We admittedly don't know how - or even if - GPA is used in the post-interview rankings, but with only 450-ish interview slots and a surplus of strong applicants, we can pretty safely assume that Western will not interview someone with virtually no chance of being admitted. If you get an interview, you have a real shot at getting in - no ifs, ands, or buts. At that point, you need to focus on putting your best foot forward to show the panel why you will make a great physician, rather than worrying about how your stats compare to anyone else who got one.

Best of luck!

probably sounding like I am repeating myself but again ha - Western does not interview people that it doesn't think have a realistic chance of admission and would on paper at least not make outstanding doctors. There simply is no point in doing otherwise. They don't have the time or energy to do anything else, and they wouldn't have a program stream that didn't result in routine admissions. 

The only disadvantage that matters would be the one you make up internally that would sabotage your chances. So......don't do that ha. 

12 hours ago, rmorelan said:

probably sounding like I am repeating myself but again ha - Western does not interview people that it doesn't think have a realistic chance of admission and would on paper at least not make outstanding doctors. There simply is no point in doing otherwise. They don't have the time or energy to do anything else, and they wouldn't have a program stream that didn't result in routine admissions. 

The only disadvantage that matters would be the one you make up internally that would sabotage your chances. So......don't do that ha. 

That's such a fantastic way of putting it, I'm definitely gonna be saying that to people!

Archived