Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
JKT

How many science courses are needed for med school?

Recommended Posts

I know that courses such as general bio and chem, organic chem, etc are needed, but how many science courses are needed in total. I am a health studies student and am trying to plan out my electives. Science isn't my strongest in university so I don't want to take courses if I don't need to. Also, from how my course schedule is looking, I will be taking a lot of science courses in third and fourth year, do you think this will be an issue when it comes to med schools looking at my GPA. As well, if I take courses during my summers, will that be looked down upon, especially if they're taken from a different university. 

 

Sorry I know I asked a lot of questions, thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You really don't "need" any science courses in Canada unless you're applying to McGill or Ottawa (these are the only schools that mandate orgo for example). Some schools (UBC, MUN) require a full year of English. Even if science isn't your thing, I STRONGLY recommend taking at least 2 terms of gen chem, at least 2 terms of intro bio (better if you can take physiology at some point) and at least 1 semester of biochem (you may need orgo to take biochem, FYI). They will really help you for the MCAT  But, they're technically not required to apply to 90% of Canadian schools....so ultimately it's your call. Honestly, undergrad science classes are not nearly as hard as they're made out to be as long as you have good study habits and don't take the "advanced" versions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, jr2 said:

You really don't "need" any science courses in Canada unless you're applying to McGill or Ottawa (these are the only schools that mandate orgo for example). Some schools (UBC, MUN) require a full year of English. Even if science isn't your thing, I STRONGLY recommend taking at least 2 terms of gen chem, at least 2 terms of intro bio (better if you can take physiology at some point) and at least 1 semester of biochem (you may need orgo to take biochem, FYI). I'm a non-science major and I managed to get these done. They will really help you for the MCAT  But, they're technically not required to apply to 90% of Canadian schools....so ultimately it's your call. Honestly, undergrad science classes are not nearly as hard as they're made out to be as long as you have good study habits and don't take the "advanced" versions. 

Thank you so much for replying. You gave a very good answer! I have taken a semester of general bio and chem and I have also taken biochemistry (I didn't do to well in them though). I will take physiology and genetics in the future. Do you think this will suffice? I really don't want to take organic chem an (I will take gen chem 2 in the future). I have taken one English course do you recommend I take another? Also, I am thinking of taking bio courses that I am interested in and that I think I can do well in in the future (such as embryology). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, JKT said:

Thank you so much for replying. You gave a very good answer! I have taken a semester of general bio and chem and I have also taken biochemistry (I didn't do to well in them though). I will take physiology and genetics in the future. Do you think this will suffice? I really don't want to take organic chem an (I will take gen chem 2 in the future). I have taken one English course do you recommend I take another? Also, I am thinking of taking bio courses that I am interested in and that I think I can do well in in the future (such as embryology). 

Literally the only school that requires organic chemistry is McGill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2018 at 11:43 PM, JKT said:

organic chem an (I will take gen chem 2 in the future). I have taken one English course do you recommend I take another? Also, I am thinking of taking bio courses that

You really don't need any more science than what you've already taken imho. Any further classes you take can be out of interest. You can "get by" on the MCAT without physics or orgo, but you'll have to study longer and may risk a lower score in C/P. At the end of the day, I think anyone applying to medical school, regardless of background, should know some gr.12 level cell biology, high-school level physiology and the basics of chemical reactions. That's it. A full year of bio and chem is more than enough....genetics is overkill, but def take it if you like it. Best of luck! And don't forget, McGill and Ottawa have science pre-reqs, so make sure you satisfy them if you plan on applying there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2018 at 10:11 PM, Meridian said:

U of T has requirements for a few basic life science courses 

    http://www.md.utoronto.ca/prerequisite-course-requirements

Operative word their is "few" :)

it is actually kind of surprising how flexible we are in Canada with respect to that. Really isn't a true "premed" program here compared to say the US. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-01-26 at 7:33 PM, jr2 said:

You really don't need any more science than what you've already taken imho. Any further classes you take can be out of interest. You can "get by" on the MCAT without physics or orgo, but you'll have to study longer and may risk a lower score in C/P. At the end of the day, I think anyone applying to medical school, regardless of background, should know some gr.12 level cell biology, high-school level physiology and the basics of chemical reactions. That's it. A full year of bio and chem is more than enough....genetics is overkill, but def take it if you like it. Best of luck! And don't forget, McGill and Ottawa have science pre-reqs, so make sure you satisfy them if you plan on applying there.  

Thank you so much! Perfect answer! The only issue is, I haven't done too well in the science course I have taken till date, so should I take more science courses to make up for that. I still need to take human phys and genetics as a part of my degree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JKT said:

Thank you so much! Perfect answer! The only issue is, I haven't done too well in the science course I have taken till date, so should I take more science courses to make up for that. I still need to take human phys and genetics as a part of my degree. 

with prereqs it doesn't matter how well you do in them, only that you have done them (other than just like any course it impacts your overall GPA). 

Don't chase more courses you are doing less well in to make up earlier ones. Do what gives you the best GPA you can get. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...