Premed 101 Forums

Choosing between genome bio and nursing

kmariko

Hi, I’m a transfer student applying to nursing programs all over Ontario. I have been accepted into U of T’s genome biology program for the fall start. I have also been accepted into an Ontario nursing program for the fall start. I wouldn’t get scholarships for either. Which should I choose?

Hello, do you plan on applying to med after your program? And when you say transfer student, are you accepted into a fast-track nursing or a traditional 4 year program? If your parents are nurses you may have some idea of the profession which is good, and you should really decide if you want to be a nurse. Some of the issues with nursing are that some find it difficult to get a 3.8+ gpa in nursing because of the nature of the program and assessments. Also, nursing often has pass/fail courses which may or may not affect your application to some med schools. Nursing will also not give you courses that prepare you for the MCAT such as biochem/ochem/physics so you have to be okay with teaching yourself several of those major concepts. Nursing does however give you healthcare experience, communication, critical thinking and soft skills experience and can be a great career with basically guaranteed employment upon graduation, with the option to do NP down the road if you don’t get into med.

I am not familiar with the UofT genome bio program so I can’t speak to the difficulty or experience there.

Archived