Premed 101 Forums

Queens MD Invites/Regrets 2018

Result: Invite

Time Stamp: Jan 31. 2:57 PM

Interview Date: TBD
wGPA: 3.95
Year: working a few years

MCAT: 514. 126 CARS, 
ECs: NSERCs, lots of employment, some volunteering and clubs. Some unique employment helped me here. Definitely do things that interest you, use those CANmeds when writing ABS, and pursue something unique, don't be cookie cutter. 
Geography: IP

So happy for this second opportunity. Queen's ol' buddy, don't let me down.

tumblr_inline_np0t01DhKo1roe2gd_500.png

wGPA/cGPA: not sure what my weighted is, probably don't even qualify. OMSAS: 3.96
Year: graduated

MCAT: 520. 127 CARS tho lol feelsbad
ECs: pretty standard

soo. nothing really changed on my app from last year so i guess it really is luck of the draw. excited to be interviewing though! :)

Time Stamp: Jan 31, 3:07 pm EST

Result: Regrets

IP/OOP: OOP

cGPA: 3.86

2YGPA: 3.90

MCAT: C/P 126; CARS 129; B/B 129; P/S 128 (512)

ECs: ~8 years research (7 publications, 2 first authors; conference; various research awards and scholarships), >5 years hospital volunteering, >4 years sighted guide, >2 years tutoring, student societies, hobbies: art, recreational sports, and long distance running

Year: Completed Master's

Another regrets! Congratulations to everyone who got an invite! All the best on your interviews!

Time Stamp: Jan 31, 2:57 pm EST

Result: Invite

IP/OOP: IP

cGPA: atrocious

2YGPA: 3.92-3.93 (I can't remember)

MCAT: 128/128/128/130 (130 in soc/psych)

ECs: Currently working as a public health dietitian in Northern Ontario, experience working as an RD in ICU and surgery. Completed one year of internship, from which I got experience along the whole spectrum of healthcare.  Lots of leadership-related employment experience while I was in school, some volunteering. 1 pub.

I did a second degree. This is my first and only interview after 3 years of applications. I've been pretty removed from the premed community in the last 1.5 years because on some level I had given up, but I'm ready to put my best foot forward and convince the admissions committee that my life and work experience are worth something.

Time Stamp: Jan 31, 3:06 pm EST

Result: Invite

IP/OOP: IP

cGPA: 3.90

2YGPA: 3.99

MCAT: C/P 129; CARS 127; B/B 130; P/S 132 (518)

ECs: Mainly music-oriented, some research, long-term tutoring and volunteering experiences.

Current year: Graduated 2017, working in hospital and teaching at McMaster

Regrets

Time Stamp: 31/01/2018 - 3:07 PM

wGPA: 3.96

MCAT: 127/126/126/128 (507)  

Current year: 3rd year undergrad

ECs: International karate athlete, 2yrs medical receptionist, national essay 12k winner, hospital volunteering, volunteering with persons with disabilities, 2 clubs, 60k views on my chemistry Youtube videos, 2yrs working for my faculty, 2nd author on manuscript (still waiting for my PI to submit it..), etc

Time Stamp: 3:06pm EST
cGPA: 3.79
Year: 2nd year MSc

MCAT: C/P 128, CARS 127, BB 128, PS 130 (513)
ECs: I thought I had a good and varied amount of experience involving community service, leadership, teammwork, and in healthcare related fields. 
Geography: IP

I'm really feeling a little lost at the moment. I don't know what I need to be doing...

Time Stamp: 3:06pm
wGPA/cGPA: ~3.81/3.71
Year: 3rd year undergrad

MCAT: 515 (128/130/127/130)
ECs: A lot of music, specifically piano-oriented extra-curriculars, publicity director for a couple of clubs, did research over the summer (no publications), volunteered at a hospital and patient environments for 300+ hours.

2YGPA/cGPA: 3.95/3.97
Year: 4th year BASc

MCAT: 131/131/127/128 (517)
ECs: 2 summers of research experience, a couple health-related conference abstracts, several academic awards, long term commitment to a few university clubs/conferences, multiple leadership roles, unique experiences/interests given BASc background.  Did NOT fill ABS (<30 entries).  

Result: Reject

Time Stamp: 

Interview Date: N/A
wGPA/cGPA: 3.87
Year: gap year

MCAT: 127/127/129/130 (513)
ECs: 600 hours in as a clinical coordinator leading fellow students in meetings, checking patient vitals, and leading a clinical research project (overseeing students recruit patients), few hundred hours shadowing a physician, volunteered at a lab,course based thesis project, summer immunology research award (summer research)- no pubs, 200hours hospital volunteering, currently working as a clinical assistant at an orthodontics clinic, sports(varsity basketball, dragonboating), cultural club (social coordinator) youth mentorhship program, tutoring , missing 1 or 2 other things 
Geography: IPP

really not sure what to do now if i cant even get the interview..MCAT is the only thing I can think of to improve. absolutely disappointed:(

GL and congrats to everyone else! best of luck! e this

Time Stamp: Jan 31, 2018  2:57 PM

2YGPA/cGPA: 3.95/3.97
MCAT: 130/127/130/130 
ECs: NSERC, poster, presentations. Working with young children. Fundraisers, cultural clubs, student council. Intramural sports, music , a few summer jobs. Maybe around 30 ABS entries. 

4 hours ago, Jfourn said:

Result: Invite!

Interview Date: TBD
wGPA/cGPA: 3.97
Year: 4th year Undergrad

MCAT: 518 (130/126/1231/131)
ECs: See previous posts

Can't believe I finally got an interview here. It feels so fuckin good to finally feel rewarded after writing the MCAT 5 times over 4 of the past 5 summers. I'm also shocked that I'm sitting here with 3 interviews after spending my past 5 years telling myself Ottawa will be the only shot that I'll get.

1231 B/B wow, that's like 101 percentile (grats, see you at the interview hopefully xD)

Result: Regrets

Interview Date: N/A
wGPA/cGPA: 3.94/ 3.88
Year: Gap Year

MCAT: 518 (129/132/130/127)
ECs: CIS athlete, hospital volunteering, Special Olympics volunteer, Travel, Volunteering Abroad, etc. No research. 
Geography: OP

After being waitlisted by Queens for the past 2 years I assume the writing is on the wall now. Good luck to all of you that got interviews.  

4 hours ago, Captrex_501stlegion said:

Going to be rewriting it for a fourth time myself, and you just gave me some hope. Ill be rooting for you!

Haha I was talking to some people in between sections of my most recent test and they said the same thing. If you believe you have what it takes and if you really want it, don't give up. 

Result: Reject
wGPA/cGPA: 4.00/3.95
Year: 1st yr MSc

MCAT: 515 (127/126/131/131) 
ECs: Varied, lots of research, working with under-serviced populations, multiple long-term commitments to clubs, numerous leadership positions, awards, etc..

Got waitlisted last year at Queen's, but no luck this year! Best of luck to everyone interviewing this year, crush it!

• Leon pinned this topic