Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa 2018 Interview Invites/Rejections

Sorry had to create a new thread for this - good luck everyone!

Invite/Rejection
Time Stamp: DD/MM/YYYY - XX:XX AM/PM
Stream: English, French, Aboriginal, French (OOP (not QC))
wGPA: on 4.0 OMSAS Scale
Current year:3rd year, 4th year, UG complete, Masters, PhD
ECs: Description at your discretion 

Casper: General thoughts

Invite/Rejection
Time Stamp: 
wGPA: 
Current year: 
ECs: 

Casper: 

Invite/Rejection: invite!!!!
Time Stamp: Jan 29, 2018, 5:36 pm
Stream: English
wGPA: idk, close to 4?
Current year: 4th year
ECs: 2 pubs, some random volunteer, club stuff, 3 years of research

Casper: got rejected by McGill OOP but invite to McMaster so maybe ok?

Note the email has a really really weird format, it's cut off at the margins. Interview date is Feb 23. the subject says "congratulations"

Invite/Rejection: invite!!!
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 - 5:36 PM
wGPA: 3.93 (2nd undergrad)
Current year: Graduated, working as an RN
ECs: Lots of long term volunteering, research, random awards 

Casper: Didn't feel great but guess it went alright!

SO, SO grateful to have another shot this year. To all the non-trads, never give up!

Invite!!!
Date Stamp: 29/01/2018 - 3:59PM MST
Stream: French (OOP (not QC))
wGPA: 3.8x
Current year: 5th year
ECs: Teaching Assistant, Peer Health Education Team (health promo), Foot Patrol, MedLife, Sunshine Foundation, Heart & Stroke foundation, worked for the Canadian Medical Association.

Casper:  Felt it was a bit more challenging in French vs. English.  I learned that I can’t spell under pressure.  I guess it was good enough?

Invite
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 - 17:39 PM
Stream: French
wGPA: 4.0
Current year: 3rd year
ECs: Lifeguard for 4 years, lifesaving instructor for 2 years, ice skating instructor for 3 years, president of a volunteering club in CÉGEP, president of my program's student society, NSERC USRA, emergency room volunteer for 1 year, taught english as a second language to children in rural China 

Casper:  I did lots and lots of practice, read Doing Right, looked at MMI scenarios, did 4 practice tests from Astroff and got them corrected by a med student based on CanMeds and other competencies they learn in med school - PM me if you want more info on how to prepare! I thought it went very well and it wasn't as stressful since I had a lot of timed practice!

Invite
Time Stamp: 4:44 pm central 
wGPA: 3.94
Current year: 4th year Undergrad
ECs: Absolutely NO research besides like, 2 months spent volunteering as a research assistant's bitch getting general consent from people. So that's encouraging for all you babes out there that aren't interested in research. Don't say that in the interview though I'm pretty sure it's why I had to reapply ;)

I've done tons of community involvement, lots of clinical experience shadowing doctors (just ask! They're usually more than happy), working as a clerk at a hospital for over 3 years. I was very involved in high school with fundraisers and such and I got some pretty hefty awards based on high school academics. Involved in university senate committees and play some sports for fun. Used to be in a concert band for the university. Pm for deets if you want them

Casper: I'll be level with you guys... I friggin LOVE CASPer. To me it's a good time and I find the situations always have a very clear direction they want me to go in. I have never skipped a question or run out of time and can get at least 5 sentences per question, so I think my speed might lessen the stress. I have not read Doing Right (cover to cover... I have it but have read maybe 10 pages). I have not experienced any MMI interviews (preps or the real things) and I've also never written the MCAT although I don't think it would influence CASPer at all.

Before you think I'm insane for loving CASPer, I'm actually declining my interview this year to pursue an MSc. in Bioethics. I interviewed for Ottawa last year but have since realized I'm super passionate about ethics and would like to pursue that further for the time being. Follow your dreams y'all! Med is great but so are other things. If you are not 100% convinced you want medicine, you won't be able to convince a team of actual medical doctors... trust me I tried! I also have to stress that everything happens for a reason and what is for you will not pass you. To those without invites and to those with, you are exactly where you are supposed to be right here in this moment :)

Invite/Rejection: invite!!!
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 - 6:00 PM
wGPA: 3.96 (2nd undergrad)
Current year: 2nd year out of 2nd undergrad.
ECs: see previous posts. Since last year I also began in a clinic as a exercise and nutrition counsellor for high risk diabetic and cardio patients. I have also been working as a medical assistant.

Casper: Felt like my best performance, good enough to get me a McGill interview as OOP.

I was kind of expecting the interview since I have had one the past two years, but I am still happy/grateful none the less. Planning on practicing a lot less for eh panel interview this year so I don't sound so rehearsed. 

Invite
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 6:00PM 
wGPA: 3.97
Current year: Graduated 1 year, working in hospital ICU unit
ECs: research & music-oriented, quite diverse and mix of short/long term

Casper: Read Doing Right. Must've done average if I got rejected from Mac pre-interview which wasn't enough to compensate for a 127 CARS.

Invite!
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 - 6:06pm
wGPA: 3.93
Current year: Masters
ECs: Stronger than average. Includes unique grad specific activities. 

Casper: Did not finish a couple of questions and I was worried this would take me out of the competition but apparently it is not that big of a deal!

Invite/Rejection: Invite
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018- 6:06 PM
wGPA: 3.92
Current year: 5th year UG
ECs: See previous posts- diverse and long-term volunteering, some research, a few minor awards, some unique life experiences

Casper: Felt pretty decent about it!

I never expected an invite with my lower wGPA- I'm ecstatic right now!

Invite
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 6:14 PM 
wGPA: 3.98
ECs: 3 years research (1 poster presentation, provincial finalist at research competition, 2 publications - 1 first author, 1 manuscript submitted for publication; 4th year thesis), President of 3 clubs, shadowed doctor, medical mission trip, volunteered at nursing home, with at-risk children, brain safety for children, student business ambassador, makeup artist, file clerk, travelled. 

Casper: I thought that it went ok. I read Doing right and did a lot of practice, but I got rejected from Mac pre-interview with a 127 CARS

1 minute ago, arsi7 said:

Invite/Rejection
Time Stamp: 29/01/2019 6:14 PM 
wGPA: 3.98
ECs: 3 years research (1 poster presentation, provincial finalist at research competition, 2 publications - 1 first author, 1 manuscript submitted for publication; 4th year thesis), President of 3 clubs, shadowed doctor, medical mission trip, volunteered at nursing home, with at-risk children, brain safety for children, student business ambassador, makeup artist, file clerk, travelled. 

Casper: I thought that it went ok. I read Doing right and did a lot of practice, but I got rejected from Mac pre-interview with a 127 CARS

So invite or nah?

Invite!!! :) 
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 - 6:11
Stream: French 
wGPA: 3.8 
Current year: Graduated 2016
ECs: Working with individuals with disabilities long term, hospital volunteering, volunteered as a research assistant, sports 

Casper: thought I bombed it because I didn't finish a couple questions but I guess it went well! 

Don't give up guys! Never thought I would be here posting about an invite 

Invite!
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 6:44pm AST
wGPA: 4.0
Current year: Graduated
ECs: Diverse. Lots of UG clubs/societies, some leadership positions. Mix of long and short term volunteering, with lots of medically-related volunteering. Worked part-time throughout UG. Lots of research experience & related awards.

Casper: Felt good about it.

Absolutely thrilled!