Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa 2018 Interview Invites/Rejections

Invite/Rejection: reject 
Time Stamp: 7:06pm est
Stream: english
wGPA: 3.79
Current year: 2nd year MSc
ECs: Pretty decent amount of ECs with varied interests I think

Casper: I thought it went pretty well. A few questions I felt weak on but for the most part I felt really good about it.

Invite
Time Stamp: 6:17
Stream: French
wGPA: 3.83
Current year: Graduated BSch 15', finishing up MBA 18'
ECs: Surgical Program Analyst at William Olser (co-op), Project Manager at St.Michaels (co-op), Executive Resident/Business Analyst at Michael Garron Hospital (co-op), chair of community outreach committee, tutoring, 2 research assistant roles (no publications), standard hospital volunteering, 2 international disaster relief trips, varsity badminton, some intramurals, event organizer for YMCA and a youth immigrant organization

Casper: Honestly, just winged it. Was using it as a prep for Mac's but ended up being after. 

Was not expecting this at all. Message me if anyone in Toronto/North York/Markham wants to practice together

Rejection
Time Stamp: 6:45pm
Stream: English
wGPA: 3.98
Current year:4th year
ECs: Research in neuroscience/psych for 3+ years, 3 NSERC USRA (no pubs lol), public health and not for profit organization work, executive positions on student clubs, humans rights and equity related student groups, lots of community volunteer work, lots of hospital volunteering, shadowed multiple surgeons, plenty of visual arts related activities, no sports lol. 

Casper: Meh didn't think it went so well, I must have been right. 

Stay positive everyone! Medical school isn't everything :)

Rejection
Time Stamp: 6:47 pm
wGPA: 3.895 (Did poorly my final year so the wGPA formula hurt!)
Current year: Completed BSc.
ECs: Coaching, Research, Various Volunteering, Athletics

Casper: I didn't feel great about it but got "waitlisted" at McGill as OOP if that means anything?

Good luck everyone!

Invite!!!
Time Stamp: 3:55 PM MST (5:55PM EST)
wGPA: 3.92
Current year: BSc. Complete
ECs: above average but nothing crazy. Very little research (no pubs), mostly leadership positions. I also got an interview to Calgary so my EC’s are probably my strength

CASPer: I felt horrible about it. I didn’t even answer a few of the questions with complete sentences. I was very genuine and honest with my answers though, and I do type very fast so I was able to write a lot for most of the answers 

Invite/Rejection: invite!!!
Time Stamp: 29/01/2018 - 6:19 PM
wGPA: 3.98 
Current year: Undergrad complete
ECs: Wide variety of EC's. Including some publications, international conference presentations, and extensive research.

Casper: Thought it was okay, not the best tbh

Invite/Rejection: Rejected :(
Time Stamp: 6:48pm
wGPA: 3.93
Current year: 5th year
ECs: research, tutoring, TAing, lots of advocacy, clinical shadowing, student government

Casper:  I thought it went well! I prepared quite a bit for it, felt confident, barely got cut off

Invite/Rejection: reject 
Time Stamp: 6:49 pm EST
wGPA: 3.95

Current year: Gap year?
ECs: Some variety, some average EC's around 1000 volunteer hours in total, constant part-time employment from grade 11 till present and very decent research experience. 

Casper: I think this test costed me this invite. Had to write it during my MCAT to apply to Dal so I probably didn't do as good. After the test I thought I did decent? but who knows. 

Good luck everyone :)

For those who were rejected, is following the standard wordings in their email? Thanks!

Occasionally, vacancies occur during the interview process, Should this happen, you may be contacted (by telephone or by email) for an interview. We thus encourage you to continue with your education program to ensure that you fulfil all prerequisites.

10 minutes ago, loopas said:

For those who were rejected, is following the standard wordings in their email? Thanks!

Occasionally, vacancies occur during the interview process, Should this happen, you may be contacted (by telephone or by email) for an interview. We thus encourage you to continue with your education program to ensure that you fulfil all prerequisites.

Yup, my email states the same. 

Rejection
Time Stamp: 6:45pm EST
wGPA: 3.96
Current year: Graduated 
ECs: Authored a major publication in The Lancet. Worked for 2 years after graduation as a clinical coordinator for autism research and child services at SickKids. Lots of volunteering with refugees, lots of clubs, intramurals, and research in undergrad. 

Casper: Felt alright. I got interviews at other schools that use Casper, so it couldn't have been bad. 

Not going to lie, I'm really surprised I didn't even get an interview. I got an interview for McGill as an OOP student and they use the same criteria as Ottawa (Casper, GPA, autobiographical sketch, references). How did I get an interview as an OOP student but not IP? Anyone else in the same boat?

Any advice on what else could I do to up my application? I know my GPA isn't exceptional, but it seems on par with other candidates who got interviews. Obviously Casper is a bit of a wild card, but I got interviews at other schools that use Casper. I feel like my autobiographical sketch must be above average, I've authored major papers that have won awards, worked in a management position with patients in a hospital (Ie. literally running the unit, not as an assistant), in addition to some pretty hefty merit-based scholarships and volunteering in undergrad. 

Invite (MD/PhD)
Time Stamp: 5:42PM EST
wGPA: 3.95
Current year: BSc (2014), MSc (2016), Research Scientist (2017)  
ECs: Varied! Research: 3 first author publications, 3MT winner, NSERC, etc. 

Casper: Okay! Did not finish a number of the final questions on scenarios (Wrote a few words to a couple sentences). 

Invite/Rejection: Reject
Time Stamp: January 29, 6:45pm EST
wGPA: 3.84
Current year: 3rd year undergrad
ECs: Average - below average (hospital volunteering, research (no pubs), leadership positions, etc) 

Casper: Not too bad, but didn't get to finish a couple of questions 

Invite/Rejection: Invite 
Time Stamp: January 29, 5:36pm EST
wGPA: 3.91
Current year: Masters 
ECs: Average - leadership positions, some research with no publications, diverse interests, some healthcare related work experience  

Casper: Second time doing so it was all right. Prepared for it for a few weeks.

4 hours ago, emcat said:

Rejection
ECs: Authored a major publication in The Lancet. Worked for 2 years after graduation as a clinical coordinator for autism research and child services at SickKids. Lots of volunteering with refugees, lots of clubs, intramurals, and research in undergrad. 

Casper: Felt alright. I got interviews at other schools that use Casper, so it couldn't have been bad. 

Not going to lie, I'm really surprised I didn't even get an interview. I got an interview for McGill as an OOP student and they use the same criteria as Ottawa (Casper, GPA, autobiographical sketch, references). How did I get an interview as an OOP student but not IP? Anyone else in the same boat?

Any advice on what else could I do to up my application? I know my GPA isn't exceptional, but it seems on par with other candidates who got interviews. Obviously Casper is a bit of a wild card, but I got interviews at other schools that use Casper. I feel like my autobiographical sketch must be above average, I've authored major papers that have won awards, worked in a management position with patients in a hospital (Ie. literally running the unit, not as an assistant), in addition to some pretty hefty merit-based scholarships and volunteering in undergrad. 

Safe to say it’s all about the luck of the draw, or god forbid, some kinda discrimination...I’ve never had faith in Ottawa’s admission process, and I’m sure many would resonate with me... but again, we’re 2 out of 4K applicants, so why would they bother even listening to all these... 

Rejection
Time Stamp: 29/1/2018 6:44pm
Stream:
 English
wGPA: 3.99
Current year: 4th 
ECs:
 working at a learning center, lab work and some research experience, tutoring, hospital and community volunteering, interpreter/translator experience, teacher’s assistant for language class, involved with some school clubs, intramurals, bunch of recreational activities/hobbies, scholarships and awards (merit scholarships, governor generals award, etc)

Casper: felt okay/decent. Was able to answer everything rationally but got cut off on the last word 2-3 times.

There’s not much room for improvement with my gpa so the problem is probably with my ECs and/or casper. Honestly surprised and losing faith in the system but oh well..

9 hours ago, emcat said:

Rejection

Doesn't UOttawa say that no preference is given to OOP vs. IP? We're all competing against each other so I don't think it should come as a surprise that you didn't get an interview because you were IP. McGill OOP interview is different and amazing that you got one, but an IP Ottawa interview shouldn't come easier than McGill OOP on the basis that you're IP.