Premed 101 Forums

Doing GI in Canada and then moving to US

It seems like for most specialties, the length of training required in Canada is at least the same in the US, if not longer. I thought the only counter-example was FM, but it looks like gastroenterology is also the same (2 year post-IM in Canada vs. 3 in the US). Does anyone know any docs that were able to do GI in Canada and then move to the States to work? What additional training would you need, if any?

Thanks!

On 1/31/2018 at 6:48 PM, #YOLO said:

yes. fam member did his GI here in canada. did a 3 year fellowship here as well. couldn't find any full time work except northern ontario...did another 1 year fellowship in the states and is making a milli + 

Hey thanks for the reply! There's 3 year fellowships available in Canada? I thought GI was only 2 years, what schools offer 3 year ones?

Also which fellowships make that much in the US?!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 1:21 PM, #YOLO said:

I mean after he did his 2 years of GI..he did an additional 3 year fellowship

...theureapeutics and more procedural based fellowships will make u $

So your saying...they did 3 years IM, 2 years GI, 3 years fellowship after that...then another 1 year fellowship in the US? For a total 9 years post-med school?

No thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-01-31 at 6:48 PM, #YOLO said:

yes. fam member did his GI here in canada. did a 3 year fellowship here as well. couldn't find any full time work except northern ontario...did another 1 year fellowship in the states and is making a milli + 

Is he making a million here or in the US? I thought topping 8-900 in Canada for a GI was really hard 

17 hours ago, #YOLO said:

In the US. a bunch of the GIs in sask are making over a milli ez.

Yeah but I feel like this isn’t practical anymore. 

Lots of carido and GI and nephro guys making close to a million but they all old. Younger grads  can’t get jobs 

2 hours ago, Aconitase said:

Yeah but I feel like this isn’t practical anymore. 

Lots of carido and GI and nephro guys making close to a million but they all old. Younger grads  can’t get jobs 

savage times now days. 

• 10 months later...
35 minutes ago, TechToMD said:

Can someone else confirm that as a certified in GI in Canada you would need to re-do your 3 year GI fellowship to work in the States?? That sounds ridiculous to me!

Pretty sure you don't need to redo it. GI is a 2 year fellowship btw. 

On 2/7/2019 at 9:12 AM, Edict said:

Oh wow, did not know that.

https://www.abim.org/certification/policies/internal-medicine-subspecialty-policies/gastroenterology.aspx

Seems like you might need to just do a 1 year fellowship to become eligible? 

True. The 2-year Canadian GI fellowship can be topped up with a 1 year advanced fellowship related to GI such as advanced endoscopy training to become eligible for GI accreditation in the U.S. The following is an email response I received in regards to the question at hand from ABIM. 

Thank you for your e-mail. To become eligible for ABIM’s Gastroenterology Certification Exam, candidates must satisfactorily complete 36 months of fellowship training. ABIM understands that in Canada, the GI training requirement is only 24 months, so what we typically do, as an exception, is review a proposal submitted on the trainee’s behalf, requesting that a year of GI-related training be granted towards the third year training requirement, like advanced endoscopy.

If approved, that would meet ABIM’s 36 month training requirement as an exception.

• 3 weeks later...

GI Here, Canadian, ABIM Certified

Trained in States. 

My suggestion:  do not come to the USA. There are 1 million dollar potential jobs but guess where? in places where you be on call 1:2 or you are the only GI in the city. 

Do not come to the USA thinking you will make 1 million in NYC or Major Metropolitan. The most you will make and that is like if you do 20 procedures a day with clinic seeing 16 patients is around 700K and you are still on call 1:3. 

I will come back to Canada, work part time if I have too, the healthcare system here is much different from Canada.

MY SUGGESTION to anyone wanting to make a million dollar is this: Medicine is not your way.   

8 hours ago, shimshim said:

Trained in States. 

My suggestion:  do not come to the USA. There are 1 million dollar potential jobs but guess where? in places where you be on call 1:2 or you are the only GI in the city. 

Do not come to the USA thinking you will make 1 million in NYC or Major Metropolitan. The most you will make and that is like if you do 20 procedures a day with clinic seeing 16 patients is around 700K and you are still on call 1:3. 

I will come back to Canada, work part time if I have too, the healthcare system here is much different from Canada.

MY SUGGESTION to anyone wanting to make a million dollar is this: Medicine is not your way.   

What are some healthcare differences you notice from your perspective?

13 hours ago, medigeek said:

What are some healthcare differences you notice from your perspective?

Not being able to actually use the non-invasive test to detect CRC or polyp. The low rate of ADR (adenoma detection rate) due to the volume they want us to do. 

everything is based on your work relative value units, so is all precedures, 10 mints patients follow up 20-30 mints new patients. 

so much paper work (EMR) systems and covering not just clinic but multiple sites all with different electronic healtcare system. 

But the worst is that everyone has a different type of insurance and the hospital cares for each person differently from VIP service to those they knew will not be able to pay. 

1/4 to 1/6 people do not have insurance at all. Admin of the hospital always on your back telling you to do more and more procedures. 

no patient-centered evidence care, just trying to make cash. soon everyone will just be scope monkeys

On 3/7/2019 at 9:38 AM, shimshim said:

Trained in States. 

yeah ur a money maker for hospitals...they just want you to pump stuff out. have you looked into coming back home? 

On 3/8/2019 at 8:10 AM, shimshim said:

Not being able to actually use the non-invasive test to detect CRC or polyp. The low rate of ADR (adenoma detection rate) due to the volume they want us to do. 

everything is based on your work relative value units, so is all precedures, 10 mints patients follow up 20-30 mints new patients. 

so much paper work (EMR) systems and covering not just clinic but multiple sites all with different electronic healtcare system. 

But the worst is that everyone has a different type of insurance and the hospital cares for each person differently from VIP service to those they knew will not be able to pay. 

1/4 to 1/6 people do not have insurance at all. Admin of the hospital always on your back telling you to do more and more procedures. 

no patient-centered evidence care, just trying to make cash. soon everyone will just be scope monkeys

But despite all of this, a lot of GI docs actually make more money in Canada. Same can be said for a lot of specialties. Are you not getting paid adequately for the work you do?

On 3/9/2019 at 1:22 PM, medigeek said:

But despite all of this, a lot of GI docs actually make more money in Canada. Same can be said for a lot of specialties. Are you not getting paid adequately for the work you do?

On 3/8/2019 at 11:26 AM, #YOLO said:

yeah ur a money maker for hospitals...they just want you to pump stuff out. have you looked into coming back home? 

I am getting paid pretty well, is not money, is the Canadian Culture I miss, is my family and friends I miss. 

I want to come back and I have applied for the licensure, but guess what, RCPSC approves my training but the Provinces licensure society is telling me I need1-year of supervision. So far all the places I contacted in Ontario do no support supervised practice. 

Also, they told me I need at least 6 months for my license to be approved. So I had to sign a 3-year contract here. 

Honestly, I would sincerely appreciate any help in regards to finding a place to work in Canada. I am serious. if you know of any place please do tell me. 

9 minutes ago, shimshim said:

I am getting paid pretty well, is not money, is the Canadian Culture I miss, is my family and friends I miss. 

I want to come back and I have applied for the licensure, but guess what, RCPSC approves my training but the Provinces licensure society is telling me I need1-year of supervision. So far all the places I contacted in Ontario do no support supervised practice. 

Also, they told me I need at least 6 months for my license to be approved. So I had to sign a 3-year contract here. 

Honestly, I would sincerely appreciate any help in regards to finding a place to work in Canada. I am serious. if you know of any place please do tell me. 

Just buy the rarri or lambo and drive back every weekend

10 hours ago, shimshim said:

Did you write the mccqe1/2 before? If not, that may be why you need supervision. 

And 6 months for approval by the royal college or by the province?

45 minutes ago, medigeek said:

Did you write the mccqe1/2 before? If not, that may be why you need supervision. 

And 6 months for approval by the royal college or by the province?

No I did not write the QE1/QE2. 

6 month by Province 

Royal College was like 2 months and they did it during both residency and fellowship

On 3/11/2019 at 1:04 AM, #YOLO said:

Just buy the rarri or lambo and drive back every weekend

What tickles my brain all the time is this: 

I did rotations, electives in Canada in Gastro/IBD/Hep so I know how nice it is. Toronto, Ottawa, Alberta.Wow, extremely strong and awesome programs with fantastic people. The calls as I recall was so fun, I won't name Doctors but all I can say is that every single GI went out of his or her own way to make sure I learned what I had to. 

The LORs I got from them are far most comprehensive and detailed. I remember during my IVs for fellowship in States, They all pointed out to the fact how strong the Canadian LORs are. 

ABIM allows up to 6 months of out of States electives and counts any School/program approved by the LMCC/RCPSC as ACGME program.  

Archived