Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, insomnias said:

I was rejected MD/PhD and MD post-interview two years ago, and now I've been rejected MD/PhD and MD pre-interview despite adding some ECs, grad school, and publications. Black box indeed.

Same thing happened to me this time. Much stronger application. I wonder if not applying last cycle had any effect on the decision.

1 hour ago, distributed_healthcare said:

Any idea on how many get interviewed? And how many get accepted (I think I read 100 seats somewhere?) 

Roughly 500 interviewed

There are 100 spots, but there are 10 reserved for Quarms, and 3 reserved for MD/PhD. 87 spots open. That being said Queen's is lower on the list for many people and thus is passed up by a lot. In 2016 cycle, 94 people declined their invite for another school.

15 minutes ago, zeutral said:

It's crazy how people who interviewed and were even waitlisted last year were rejected pre-interview this cycle, despite improving their application.

That really reflects how subjectively ECs are evaluated...

I probably shouldn't be talking, because I did get an invite, but I personally know many individuals who are much more qualified than I am in ECs (variety, length, commitment, hours, every way possible) who have been rejected pre-interview from Queens 4 times now. The only thing I can think of that stood out in my app is my MCAT score, and my family/life/social entries in my ABS. I didn't make the cut for UBC IP, or any of the other Ontario schools for 3 years now with my ECs. 

Seems like they weigh very particular type of EC entries over others... 

just to chime in, I feel like Queen's is just a giant lottery. Past the bare minimums it's really a lot of luck. I didn't get an invite last year, but despite changing basically nothing (except continuing research) I received one this time. I don't really know how they assessed the same app to be admissible this time but not last year, but i'm not complaining. I do think it's highly random and luck based though :\

Have to agree, was interviewed and waitlisted for the last 2 cycles but rejected pre-interview this year. At this point I don't think I will be applying to Queens again; there is no clear information on whether it is worth the thousands of dollars that I have spent on flights/ application fees the past 2 years (I live in BC). On the bright side we won't have to be checking our emails all summer long waiting for an invite that never comes! :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, kirraea said:

just to chime in, I feel like Queen's is just a giant lottery. Past the bare minimums it's really a lot of luck. I didn't get an invite last year, but despite changing basically nothing (except continuing research) I received one this time. I don't really know how they assessed the same app to be admissible this time but not last year, but i'm not complaining. I do think it's highly random and luck based though :\

5 hours ago, Comprehensible said:

I think they are looking for something very particular, which may vary between years. 

This is definitely the case. They are definitely creative that's for sure. Diversity and life experience are big for them. Things change year to year as well. 

On 31/01/2018 at 4:56 PM, JDD said:

Roughly 500 interviewed

There are 100 spots, but there are 10 reserved for Quarms, and 3 reserved for MD/PhD. 87 spots open. That being said Queen's is lower on the list for many people and thus is passed up by a lot. In 2016 cycle, 94 people declined their invite for another school.

Anybody have any idea why people have queens lower? Just curious.

1 hour ago, Naruto said:

Anybody have any idea why people have queens lower? Just curious.

For me, it's mostly the city it's in. Kingston is fairly small and a bit far from larger cities. As a slightly older applicant with a partner who would be setting up his own business that depends on having a good deal of potential clients wherever we move, a slightly larger city is more appealing for us to spend several years of our lives in.

Archived