Premed 101 Forums

NSERC-CGS

Logic

So I applied to NSERC-CGS this year in the chance that I didn't get into physiotherapy (I was planning to do research if physiotherapy did not work out). 

NSERC-CGS results come out around April 1st and physiotherapy results come out around May 18. This puts me in a predicament. 

On NSERC's site, it stated that you only have 20 days to accept the offer. 

So my question is...how bad would it be if I accepted the award and then declined it later if I get into physiotherapy? 

Occurs way more often than you think! Do not worry.

People do that with medical schools without batting an eye. People accept an initial offer from an OOP school, only to find out later they were taken off the waitlist at a school closer to home and end up accepting that offer. Not that this is bad either - we have waitlists for a reason right? The fact that it bothers you this much, probably speaks toward your morals.

Nothing is guaranteed in life. Seize opportunities when you can and if you're in the fortunate circumstances of having a choice: be selfish and do what's best for you so long as you don't hurt yourself or others in the process.

Bonne chance!

21 minutes ago, BoopityBoop said:

Occurs way more often than you think! Do not worry.

People do that with medical schools without batting an eye. People accept an initial offer from an OOP school, only to find out later they were taken off the waitlist at a school closer to home and end up accepting that offer. Not that this is bad either - we have waitlists for a reason right? The fact that it bothers you this much, probably speaks toward your morals.

Nothing is guaranteed in life. Seize opportunities when you can and if you're in the fortunate circumstances of having a choice: be selfish and do what's best for you so long as you don't hurt yourself or others in the process.

Bonne chance!

Extremely helpful, thank you! I just never want to screw someone over who had the potential to get an NSERC. If NSERC will then give the award to someone else, I wouldn't be bothered so much! If they happen to just keep the award because I gave it up, it would make me feel extremely extremely guilty, which is why I ask lol 

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Extremely helpful, thank you! I just never want to screw someone over who had the potential to get an NSERC. If NSERC will then give the award to someone else, I wouldn't be bothered so much! If they happen to just keep the award because I gave it up, it would make me feel extremely extremely guilty, which is why I ask lol 

There are those who will see NSERC-CGS the way you see entrance into physiotherapy!

They will apply for other graduate/doctoral scholarships and will choose to accept them because they heard from them sooner than NSERC. If they are fortunate to get the NSERC later on, they will let notify the other scholarship organization b/c a common rule is that you can't hold the scholarship in addition to a federal funding!

So do not feel bad!

Archived