Premed 101 Forums

When are interview invites/rejections coming out?

3 minutes ago, adhominem said:

I am fairly sure the life experience essay was mandatory in the sense you would receive a score of zero for not completing it. There was an additional 'essay' question for additional comments which was optional though. 

Well, I'm OOP and got an interview without completing the life experience section so I guess it wasn't essential this year. It might be something they're phasing in to their evaluation?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Persephone said:

Well, I'm OOP and got an interview without completing the life experience section so I guess it wasn't essential this year. It might be something they're phasing in to their evaluation?

Maybe, it is hard to say. Your application may just have been strong enough otherwise to have that zero not sink you when it came to ranking your aggregate score. Or maybe the purpose of the essay is moreso to act as a starting point for their panel interview? So many questions...

5 minutes ago, adhominem said:

I am fairly sure the life experience essay was mandatory in the sense you would receive a score of zero for not completing it. There was an additional 'essay' question for additional comments which was optional though. 

For those who get regrets, UofA gives them their file score right? Is it broken down with a score for an essay? I highly doubt my extracurriculars were enough to me get an OOP invite if I did score zero in one section.

I'm also unsure what two essays you're referring to, since I overlooked any essay at all!

1 minute ago, Eudaimonia said:

For those who get regrets, UofA gives them their file score right? Is it broken down with a score for an essay? I highly doubt my extracurriculars were enough to me get an OOP invite if I did score zero in one section.

I'm also unsure what two essays you're referring to, since I overlooked any essay at all!

They do give you a score, however there is no detailed breakdown. In the past they gave you an EC score out of 17 (4 points per section other than the scholarships section which is only worth 1). So you really have no idea how any of your entries were viewed beyond that level of detail. 

If you log into your secondary med application and go to the extracurricular section and scroll to the bottom of the page you will see the life experience essay section listed there.

Just now, adhominem said:

Maybe, it is hard to say. Your application may just have been strong enough otherwise to have that zero not sink you when it came to ranking your aggregate score. Or maybe the purpose of the essay is moreso to act as a starting point for their panel interview? So many questions...

I don't think my application was strong enough to take a major hit to it, especially as an OOP applicant. I have pretty average stats, although my unique life experiences in the other sections and my CASPer might have strengthened it, I can't say how much.

14 minutes ago, adhominem said:

Fair. I found it fairly difficult to complete (to think of something to talk about that wasn't too personal for me to be comfortable discussing it), so it seems a little odd if it weren't considered. 

7 minutes ago, adhominem said:

They do give you a score, however there is no detailed breakdown. In the past they gave you an EC score out of 17 (4 points per section other than the scholarships section which is only worth 1). So you really have no idea how any of your entries were viewed beyond that level of detail. 

If you log into your secondary med application and go to the extracurricular section and scroll to the bottom of the page you will see the life experience essay section listed there.

Has that question been there in past applications or did it coincidentally show up with the new panel?

1 minute ago, Eudaimonia said:

Has that question been there in past applications or did it coincidentally show up with the new panel?

It is new this year. So it may not be a scored component yet. Like I said, it may also be there for the purpose of giving the panel a jumping off point? This is all speculation though so who really knows

2 minutes ago, adhominem said:

It is new this year. So it may not be a scored component yet. Like I said, it may also be there for the purpose of giving the panel a jumping off point? This is all speculation though so who really knows

Thanks for your clarifications. I'm just trying to understand how I possibly misinterpreted a required component of the application

22 minutes ago, Roronoaa said:

Are we going to get another email notification to sign up for the interview?

I'm assuming we will later in the week. I got an automated reply from the admissions office saying they'll be closed until Thursday so probably then. Sucks for those of us who have to book flight tickets still. 

9 minutes ago, flyingsparrow said:

I'm assuming we will later in the week. I got an automated reply from the admissions office saying they'll be closed until Thursday so probably then. Sucks for those of us who have to book flight tickets still. 

Well, luckily for me, it can't get much more expensive than $2k...

1 hour ago, flyingsparrow said:

1 hour ago, insomnias said:

Well, luckily for me, it can't get much more expensive than $2k...

Possibly it would suck more......if you did not receive an invite.  Be thankful....this is a tough game. :)

4 hours ago, flyingsparrow said:

Their latest update on the admissions site from last week said: "We expect to have formal interview notifications out on Thursday February 22, 2018." which would include interview times I believe.

2 minutes ago, Livinalberta said:

Well, today is the day we are supposed to receive our interview times. :)  Much less stressful than last week.  Hopefully the IT issues will be resolved.  And I hope that a seat sale becomes available for our colleagues who have to travel a distance to Edmonton.  

Well it went down to 1800 for me, so that's something :P

Archived