Premed 101 Forums

When are interview invites/rejections coming out?

Does anyone know why UofA uses a separate email account and can't just send an invite to our usual email address? I only applied to a few schools, but that's what they did.. But maybe there is a good reason for it. Trying to find this mysterious UofA gmail account that must have been set up back in September is taking too long....no clue what my address or password might be ha ha! I'll just phone on monday, I'm sure they can quickly recover it.  Anyways, not looking for help on the email (thanks for the person who told me it existed!), just curious is there is an obvious rationale for these separate email accounts, seems like it would also create more admin work for UofA too.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, hockey said:

Does anyone know why UofA uses a separate email account and can't just send an invite to our usual email address? I only applied to a few schools, but that's what they did.. But maybe there is a good reason for it. Trying to find this mysterious UofA gmail account that must have been set up back in September is taking too long....no clue what my address or password might be ha ha! I'll just phone on monday, I'm sure they can quickly recover it.  Anyways, not looking for help on the email (thanks for the person who told me it existed!), just curious is there is an obvious rationale for these separate email accounts, seems like it would also create more admin work for UofA too.

A quick hint that might help you remember, the U of A gmail account password didn't let you use a real word, you had to do a stronger password. Also once you've got access you can always set email forwarding to your preferred email :)

4 minutes ago, hockey said:

If you can log into Bear Tracks you can log into your email account.

Thanks guys! good idea re forwarding, I've never logged on to this UofA gmail before so I wouldn't have set that up (unless I logged in once and don't remember). But that would have been smart. And really not exactly sure what "bear tracks" means! I have seen that word before. It's ok, I'm a lost cause when it comes to IT stuff.....maybe I'd fit in well given all the technical difficulties :) 

24 minutes ago, hockey said:

Thanks guys! good idea re forwarding, I've never logged on to this UofA gmail before so I wouldn't have set that up (unless I logged in once and don't remember). But that would have been smart. And really not exactly sure what "bear tracks" means! I have seen that word before. It's ok, I'm a lost cause when it comes to IT stuff.....maybe I'd fit in well given all the technical difficulties :) 

Bear Tracks would've been set up to track your documents coming in, it lets you know if you have anything missing on your application. If you didn't set it up you'd probably still be able to as long as you saved the email that invited you to do that.

2 hours ago, mhl said:

Wait, was the panel part in the email? I only have the 2nd part (starting from please note) in mine.

EDIT: I'm dumb, there's a link to a site with all the information in the email.

Panel must be mainly for the essay.

What essay are you talking about? I don't remember being asked any essay questions as part of the application except for the optional EC

33 minutes ago, Eudaimonia said:

What essay are you talking about? I don't remember being asked any essay questions as part of the application except for the optional EC

23 minutes ago, Butterfly_ said:

There was a short essay question at the bottom of the EC section.

I totally didn't answer that question (I thought it was like the UBC app where it was only if something affected your grades or whatnot) and still got an interview invites so I guess it wasn't essential!

3 minutes ago, Persephone said:

I totally didn't answer that question (I thought it was like the UBC app where it was only if something affected your grades or whatnot) and still got an interview invites so I guess it wasn't essential!

Exactly! Thought it was for extenuating circumstances. Earlier I thought maybe they were referring to the Plan B question but didn't think that was relevant either; that should just be for stat purposes. 

I also didn't answer the barrier question but got an invite. Wonder how that will come up in panel

2 minutes ago, Comprehensible said:

LOL I definitely thought that was mandatory. 

Trust me I was expecting a regret after reading the speculations that decisions were taking long because of the essay. 

It might affect the pre-interview score during final review? Are their formulas for rankings published?

1 hour ago, medbruh said:

Had an invite 2 years ago and not this time although I have a higher gpa and in my opinion better ECs now. Not sure what to think of it. I'm IP, my mcat score did not change, my Casper should have been okay based on the fact that I got an interview at University of Ottawa.

I am sorry.  I have been down this road.  There are no guarantees from one year to the next even though we feel our app is stronger.  Good luck in Ottawa.

Just now, ahmadmz said:

That’s ok! At least now we know we got an interview or not! Hard part of the wait is done. 

Kinda! For me, I still have to find out if I can even attend. I requested that they book me on Mar 18, b/c my McMaster interview is Mar 17th, so hopefully they're able to make that happen. Then if I am able to attend I will have to change all my hotel reservations and flights lol. It's a bit hectic. I will just make a to-do list and try to not think about it until it's all confirmed! I just wanna get everything sorted right now! Oh well, can't complain too much, I got an invite.

1 hour ago, Persephone said:

Kinda! For me, I still have to find out if I can even attend. I requested that they book me on Mar 18, b/c my McMaster interview is Mar 17th, so hopefully they're able to make that happen. Then if I am able to attend I will have to change all my hotel reservations and flights lol. It's a bit hectic. I will just make a to-do list and try to not think about it until it's all confirmed! I just wanna get everything sorted right now! Oh well, can't complain too much, I got an invite.

I'm in the same boat. I received an email reply today saying that they've noted my request. Losing a potential candidate due to logistical/scheduling conflict is unfortunate for both the school and the student. With about 200 spots each interview day, I'm pretty sure they'll be able to make it work :)! So don't worry about it!

In the image below that I got from https://www.medapplications.com/university-of-alberta-medical-school-admission-requirements/ , it looks like in 2015/2016 162 students registered and 64 declined offered which adds up to 226 total offered. So if 226 were offered and 538 interviewed then that comes to 42% chance of getting an offer if interviewed. The chances look quite high. Are my calculations accurate?

560790DF-7692-42AA-BA6C-13C631CF6A78.jpeg

So I tracked down the invite and this mystery UofA gmail account - 5 emails in there since I submitted the application. I tracked it down with the info posted here, otherwise it would still be lost in cyberspace - so thanks for the help guys! I really still don't understand the rationale behind having these separate accounts, but perhaps there is a good reason that I'm overlooking. 

Well as long as they don't ask about my email account skills at the interview, should be good to go :) Best of luck everyone and thanks for the input.

22 minutes ago, ahmadmz said:

In the image below that I got from https://www.medapplications.com/university-of-alberta-medical-school-admission-requirements/ , it looks like in 2015/2016 162 students registered and 64 declined offered which adds up to 226 total offered. So if 226 were offered and 538 interviewed then that comes to 42% chance of getting an offer if interviewed. The chances look quite high. Are my calculations accurate?

560790DF-7692-42AA-BA6C-13C631CF6A78.jpeg

I would not say that it is a 42% chance for all applicants since keep in mind that there are distinct pools of applicants. Generally, there is more OOP waitlist movement

On 2/16/2018 at 6:35 PM, Comprehensible said:

LOL I definitely thought that was mandatory. 

I am fairly sure the life experience essay was mandatory in the sense you would receive a score of zero for not completing it. There was an additional 'essay' question for additional comments which was optional though. 

Archived