Premed 101 Forums

Tutor for CARS in Toronto

Hey guys, does anyone know of a good 1-on-1 in person tutor for the CARS section of the MCAT? I've already tried prep companies and self-prep so I would like to try 1-on-1 help in hopes to raise my CARS from the 124 that I keep scoring every year. If anyone can make recommendations, I would really appreciate it!  

• 1 month later...

Hey yeescience,

I actually struggled with CARS a lot.. I had to rewrite a good composite score several times to get a better mark on it. I did prep-company and tried limited # of 1-on-1s until I took it upon myself to come up with my own method. The only evidence I have is that it worked for me, as it brought my CARS from a 9 in previous years to 130 in the new MCAT2015, in a stepwise fashion (as in I never scored less than previous times - sort of proof it wasn't all luck?). If you're interested PM me, we can set up some sessions. Many people think CARS isn't something you can improve on, but with a lot of diligence and perseverance, you can!

• 1 month later...

Hey! I know this is a late reply but I feel like I can offer you my 2 cents.

I can totally empathize with you, CARS was the bane of my existence. I scored a 123 when I wrote it in 2016 (LOL). Fast forward to the next year, I worked at it and pulled it up to 129. So it's not unheard of to make big improvements.

I think the most important thing is to get in the head of the testmakers, as ridiculous as that sounds. I learned that even accepting answers I could not so easily justify was the key (while eliminating anything that had even a hint of being wrong), I was notorious before for wavering between answers looking for that "perfect" fit.

I feel the skills tested by CARS aren't actively taught in undergrad, unless you have an English Literature or other Humanities background. However, that isn't to say you haven't already developed those skills (albeit not to your awareness) during your science courses. We practice critical thinking and reasoning every day more than we realize. I think the key is to devote the time to it, it's like learning a new language, you have to think in that language to ultimately succeed in it. 

PM me if you would like to pick my brain for advice, or are interested as well in a second opinion (apart from plastics91 ;) ).  

Archived