Premed 101 Forums

Dating Profiles

ThugLyfe

• 2 weeks later...

I put it on mine when I met my current girlfriend, and honestly it was the last thing on her mind. Rather she did have a negative connotation of potentially dating someone in the medical field, always busy, never enough time for activities together, can be selfish, etc. 

She was only right about the always busy part ;) . I met her online as well, it wasn't a big part of my profile but it definitely was there. 

Plenty of online dating experience here. Put it in. It's not only a huge defining part of you, but to play devil's advocate, it's a selling point whether you like it or not. It's 2018. Use it to your advantage.

Your own intuition will tell you whether or not someone is interested in you because of who you are or because you're in the medical field. If you get a bad vibe, just don't talk to them. There's literally thousands of other people waiting to swipe right on you.

I totally would put it up, literally it something you spend between 40-110 hours a week of your life on in some form, i think it would be crazy not to put it on. In fact, I would argue if you don't put it on you aren't informing people about who you are, and if you are one of those spending 100 hours of your week on medicine, it is basically all you do with your life at that point. 

I agree. I need people to describe what they do in their bio or list their current occupation, so that I can judge whether I can see a serious relationship with them. We aren't in a 9-5 field where we can go on dates every night of the week. We have very little free time, and we need to use it wisely. 

Trying to judge whether someone is good material for a serious relationship/long-term is hard when you only have their appearance to judge by. In addition to knowing they are a dog person and love board games, I need to know what they do for a living. It's nice knowing what kind of field they are in because you get a preliminary sense of how you'd get along.

i do because im an average looking ethnic guy which means im below average in the dating world.

if youre a good looking white fellow you can probably leave it out.

i find that, beyond it attracting the golddiggers, it can draw other professionals to you, as we are a rare commodity in the world of online dating.

On 2/27/2018 at 10:59 AM, GrouchoMarx said:

i do because im an average looking ethnic guy which means im below average in the dating world.

if youre a good looking white fellow you can probably leave it out.

i find that, beyond it attracting the golddiggers, it can draw other professionals to you, as we are a rare commodity in the world of online dating.

I wouldn't say career compensates for looks. It's more that career helps to maximize options within one's league. 

10 minutes ago, marrakech said:

Billionaires don’t count? Donald Trump looks like he never struggled haha.

Imho, biggest obstacles for dating in order are i) age  ii) career /social desirability and iii )looks.

male peak dating years are 25-35 and women 20-30.  Seize dates while young - after 35, unless exceptional, you won’t attract many 25 ish women ... conversely average 25 year old male, without career can do decently.

No billionaires/the super rich/celebs don't count at all when discussing normal everyday people. As long as you're working and making average money, nearly all women will be content with that. 

5 minutes ago, marrakech said:

Average money to some people means physician’s income which is way above average.  As one gets older, in big cities especially, this becomes important.  I’m not saying it’s right, but women can be impressed with the  flash lifestyle, ie luxury cars, vacations etc, even if it’s not at the billionaire level.  Any case I was making a joke - hence “haha”

True though a physician making 250k a year is essentially the top 1% of income. Most of the guys who did well/do well in dating aren't in any glamorous profession but rather work a half decent job paying 50k. 

• 2 weeks later...

You could make an argument for both I suppose.

Medicine will be a big part of your life for most, if not all of us...... so mentioning it might be a good thing, but I think you should probably add something along the lines of "work long hours but always willing to make time for the right person." you know so you dont look like someone who is just consumed by their work.

Not mentioning it is also another strategy, you would avoid intimidating people off the bat with your profession. 

On 2018-03-04 at 3:24 AM, medigeek said:

I wouldn't say career compensates for looks. It's more that career helps to maximize options within one's league. 

lol we're in a profession where we earn the top 1% of income in this country. Whoever we marry (man or woman) don't have to worry about working a day in their life, if they didn't want too. We could afford to have a nanny, a nice house, a cottage and they still wouldn't have to work. That's how much our earning potential is.

16 minutes ago, BoopityBoop said:

Whoever we marry (man or woman) don't have to worry about working a day in their life, if they didn't want too. We could afford to have a nanny, a nice house, a cottage and they still wouldn't have to work. 

A nanny in addition to a stay-at-home spouse?

You could live like this, but you wouldn't be able to retire for a long time, which may or may not bother them, haha.

1 hour ago, BoopityBoop said:

Or you could just work like crazy, bill like a fiend, and invest your money.

pursuing money/ work like crazy is not the most attractive trait in a partner but I guess it depends on the person lol.  If only one individual works to provide a lavish lifestyle for the family, then they probably won't have enough time to spend with their family.