Premed 101 Forums

Dating Profiles

ThugLyfe

19 hours ago, obiwankenobi said:

Do you think that psychiatry is particularly suitable for applying knowledge from a language/literature degree? 

I don't have the reference handy, but there has been research showing that medical students with a background in humanities have a somewhat higher likelihood of choosing a career in psychiatry.

4 hours ago, Lactic Folly said:

I don't have the reference handy, but there has been research showing that medical students with a background in humanities have a somewhat higher likelihood of choosing a career in psychiatry.

that's true, I just learned that in my medical education class few days ago. Also, research showed that being exposed to medical humanities in medical school leads to higher likelihood of choosing a career in family medicine and psychiatry.

On 3/29/2018 at 11:26 AM, BoopityBoop said:

1) You are assuming that women and female medical students freely choose work life-style friendly specialties and work less hours for themselves, without external influences/pressure. Many of the reasons for choosing life-style friendly specialties and working less hours is because they feel pressured to be the flexible one who can care for children/maintain a family - in the present or in the future. Women are at many times pressured to work less and therefore be paid less because of the responsibility that society put on them. 

If the issue is that women are pressured to work less, I don't think it's appropriate to argue that female physicians "make less." Saying "women make less" implies that they make less per hour or per patient, which is not true in our business. Do you have stats showing women make less per hour of work?

I don't agree with using maternity leave as an argument for inequality. It's human physiology. Ain't no other practical way to have babies. It's almost like like you want women to be paid more than men to compensate for maternity leave. Women take longer to get ready in the morning and have to buy feminine hygiene products. Do you want to throw those factors into the mix?

How is it a bad thing to work less and spend time with the family anyway? I don't feel sorry for these women. If my wife wants me to stay home more while she works more, I'd do it no problem.

Edited by W0lfgang

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...