Premed 101 Forums

Which Site and Why

On 2/6/2018 at 1:14 AM, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:
  • I have heard rumours that they have dogs at the university building where lectures are held. Stressed? Go pet a dog

The Kelowna dog rumors are true. I have personally walked the dog in question, and it was emotionally and psychologically rewarding. 10/10 would recommend. 

I would also argue that we have some of the most talented clinical skills and lab instructors at the SMP!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 4:39 AM, Galaxy123 said:

Hey all! as an applicant and non-bc native looking to fill out the site preferences form pretty soon, i'm interested to hear thoughts on which site you would prefer, and why. Does going to one of the smaller locations limit your choice/options for residency in any way? thanks! 

The best site is none of them. I am graduating this year, and oh ghad, if I could go back, I would not do UBC medicine. You will not find faculty that does not give two shits about the quality of clinical experience than at UBC. 

As an SMP student: have to say the clinical experience is amazing. You definitely get more family visits in the first 2 years. And it's always 1:1. Clinical skills sessions are half the size.

In 3rd year the preceptors are amazing. We have all the major specialties (including neurosurgery and cardiac surgery) so you can shadow every field. Lots of the preceptors let you get really involved with procedures like chest tubes, burr holes, etc.

The city is awesome... Right on the lake, ski hill close by, and tons of outdoorsy things. The staff is very supportive too!

Where you study definitely doesn't affect matching - study where you feel you'll be happiest.

On 3/4/2018 at 5:57 PM, humhum said:

The best site is none of them. I am graduating this year, and oh ghad, if I could go back, I would not do UBC medicine. You will not find faculty that does not give two shits about the quality of clinical experience than at UBC. 

I think individual people *can* tend to care, but yeah, when you have a large university of independent people...its easy to have a very inconsistent and poorly run process, since not any one single person is "responsible". 

That said, you can disappear pretty easily for pre-clinicals and do your own thing, so that is a +.  

9 hours ago, Bluebird7 said:

As an SMP student: have to say the clinical experience is amazing. You definitely get more family visits in the first 2 years. And it's always 1:1. Clinical skills sessions are half the size.

In 3rd year the preceptors are amazing. We have all the major specialties (including neurosurgery and cardiac surgery) so you can shadow every field. Lots of the preceptors let you get really involved with procedures like chest tubes, burr holes, etc.

The city is awesome... Right on the lake, ski hill close by, and tons of outdoorsy things. The staff is very supportive too!

Where you study definitely doesn't affect matching - study where you feel you'll be happiest.

I think one thing to note is, not everyone finds value in the FP visits in pre-clinicals. Even those who WANT to go into family. A few sessions for exposure are great, but every week, with 1-2hr commutes sometimes, to often stand around shadowing is less than ideal.  The FP program is always desperate for preceptors, so there is often a large variance in quality. 

You get plenty of clinical experience in year 3/4, so some people just find it an annoyance more than anything in years1-2. 

SMP grad here.

I would agree with all the positive attributes other members have posted here.  One negative that hasn't been brought up that affected me a lot as my wife and son did not live in Kelowna with me is the difficulty travelling back to the lower mainland in the winter (ie. on weekends).  The connector and coquihalla can be precarious.  I witnessed several accidents on the highway over three years, and was involved in one myself (the driver of the vehicle I was in IMO was going too fast for the conditions but I digress).  Also, at least twice I was stuck in the lower mainland past the weekend as the highway was closed or conditions were treacherous.  I tended to be white knuckled the entire drive.  Finally, I unexpectedly missed out on a couple of events I had signed up for due to the conditions (ICC visits, conferences etc...).  Of course, you can bypass this by flying all the time (though this is more expensive and only practical if you live in Vancouver, which I didn't) or just not going home.  Anyways, just something to be aware of.

10 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

I think one thing to note is, not everyone finds value in the FP visits in pre-clinicals. Even those who WANT to go into family. A few sessions for exposure are great, but every week, with 1-2hr commutes sometimes, to often stand around shadowing is less than ideal.  The FP program is always desperate for preceptors, so there is often a large variance in quality. 

You get plenty of clinical experience in year 3/4, so some people just find it an annoyance more than anything in years1-2. 

Somewhat agree... but with SMP the commute is like 10 min. I personally found them very enjoyable. Got taught lots of physical exams that way. And I got early exposures to suturing/small procedures. Starting in first year, some of my classmates went to L&D with their FP preceptors, assisted in surgery, or did ski doc days. I don't think I talked to a classmate at SMP that didn't enjoy the FP visits in year 1/2. Also, the SMP FP course director listens to feedback and only keeps the preceptors who we have good experiences with in the program. Vancouver is desperate for preceptors... Kelowna is not.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is more exposure to specialties at the Vancouver site? I know that at some of the distributed sites there is more of a focus on certain specialties or areas of care based on what the area needs (for example, in the NMP, there is a huge focus on rural medicine and churning out GPs for the north). Is there more opportunity to access different specialties at the VFMP than at the distributed sites? If so, is this somewhat negated by the fact that 4x as many people are competing with you to access these resources?

Archived