Premed 101 Forums

Next round of invites

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I don’t understand is why UoT does rolling invites if it doesn’t do a rolling based receival of files similar to US schools. They accept applications from early June, and assess and interview when they are received. US schools receive much bigger applications (personal statement, longer ABS entries, and secondary essays) and are able to respond to their applications promptly, not to mention the volume of applications they receive well surpasses that of Ontario schools. 

IMO the system UoT has is inherently designed to miss some good candidates candidates. I have many friends still waiting to hear from UoT who are absolutely stellar candidates with multiple interviews to other schools. 

If they review files on a rolling basis, interviewees for February dates would have had a completed file review WAY before they even look at some other peoples’ applications. So how can it be possible that they ensure every one is evaluated equally and shares the same chance of getting an interview? It really doesn’t make sense with their set-up. It’s essentially who was lucky enough to have their file reviewed earlier. 

1 minute ago, Monocyte said:

One thing I don’t understand is why UoT does rolling invites if it doesn’t do a rolling based receival of files similar to US schools. They accept applications from early June, and assess and interview when they are received. US schools receive much bigger applications (personal statement, longer ABS entries, and secondary essays) and are able to respond to their applications promptly, not to mention the volume of applications they receive well surpasses that of Ontario schools. 

IMO the system UoT has is inherently designed to miss some good candidates candidates. I have many friends still waiting to hear from UoT who are absolutely stellar candidates with multiple interviews to other schools. 

If they review files on a rolling basis, interviewees for February dates would have had a completed file review WAY before they even look at some other peoples’ applications. So how can it be possible that they ensure every one is evaluated equally and shares the same chance of getting an interview? It really doesn’t make sense with their set-up. It’s essentially who was lucky enough to have their file reviewed earlier. 

That is assuming that they only have a preset number of interview spots to give out. In my application year, I remember them adding a full interview date because they had more people they wanted to interview. I actually think UofT has one of the more holistic approaches to file review. They take a little longer because they review every single file they receive unlike most schools who use cutoffs to diminish the man power required to review applications. Keep in mind that, at most schools, everyone involved in the file review and interview process is volunteering their time.

2 hours ago, hartk48 said:

I sincerely doubt (and hope) that there is a difference between a 3.9 to 4.0.

I feel that strong applicants with crazy EC's and references  usually are high achievers with high GPA to begin with.

I have 3 publications and 3 conference pubs with several competitive and long term ECs (~1000hr+) with a wGPA of 3.85 (which is not high) so I beg to differ lol

4 hours ago, silent_c said:

I have 3 publications and 3 conference pubs with several competitive and long term ECs (~1000hr+) with a wGPA of 3.85 (which is not high) so I beg to differ lol

Hence my Italiazed usually... we’ll always find an exception :/ 

17 minutes ago, excelspreadsheet said:

You mean make all of our weekends with invites right?:rolleyes:

At this point I would be content with any sort of reply, whether that be an invite or rejection... This waiting game is just not fun

Archived