Premed 101 Forums

7 minutes ago, 2hopeful said:

I'm sitting at a 3.93 weighted, met mcat cut offs and felt pretty good about my essays. So idk where I went wrong? 

I'm sitting at a near 4.0 gpa, have good EC's in my estimation, and consider myself to be a strong writer and felt confident about my essays. Either my rec letters aren't good enough (I actually believe they are above average) or I'm just really unlucky. 

41 minutes ago, Slickrick said:

I'm sitting at a near 4.0 gpa, have good EC's in my estimation, and consider myself to be a strong writer and felt confident about my essays. Either my rec letters aren't good enough (I actually believe they are above average) or I'm just really unlucky. 

4.0, decent essays, good enough ECs and letters for other EC heavy schools. I think my problem is a lack of research, which I've been working on this year (I've got a poster now at least) but I can't tell them about. Still haven't heard anything  

My point is mostly that there's an element of "do you fit what that particular school is looking for that year" present in the process. I really hope that there are a few left for people here, especially those without other opportunities.  

Having reviewed Medical School admission files in the past, candidates end up fitting in three categories:

1. The very few applicants who are absolutely amazing and you definitely want them at your school.

2. The applicants that are absolutely terrible and you want to make sure they do not get into your school.

3. All the rest which range from very good, to satisfactory. 

This last section has so many applicants that it is very hard to tease one applicant from the other. The admission process is focused on making sure that the subpar applicants do not get accepted instead of ensuring they get the absolute best candidate. Unfortunately this is a reality of a system that has to review thousands of applications.

All this to say that there is an element of luck to getting interviews. Does the file reviewer have similar interests to you, does the file reviewer value something on your CV due to personal bias etc. How does your file compare to other files that reviewer was tasked to look over. All these elements will play into the final decision.

Therefore, if you don't get an interview, pause and assess if you think you might be in Categorie 2 (Do you have any red flags?), if you are not, chances are if you apply enough times, you will eventually get an interview.

18 minutes ago, Aetherus said:

Having reviewed Medical School admission files in the past, candidates end up fitting in three categories:

1. The very few applicants who are absolutely amazing and you definitely want them at your school.

2. The applicants that are absolutely terrible and you want to make sure they do not get into your school.

3. All the rest which range from very good, to satisfactory. 

This last section has so many applicants that it is very hard to tease one applicant from the other. The admission process is focused on making sure that the subpar applicants do not get accepted instead of ensuring they get the absolute best candidate. Unfortunately this is a reality of a system that has to review thousands of applications.

All this to say that there is an element of luck to getting interviews. Does the file reviewer have similar interests to you, does the file reviewer value something on your CV due to personal bias etc. How does your file compare to other files that reviewer was tasked to look over. All these elements will play into the final decision.

Therefore, if you don't get an interview, pause and assess if you think you might be in Categorie 2 (Do you have any red flags?), if you are not, chances are if you apply enough times, you will eventually get an interview.

I assume with human markers there will always be weird psychological phenomena that come into play. I remember marking applications( not med school ones) were the first applications looked amazing, however, after a while things started getting repetitive and the scores that I gave out started getting lower.  Even when you are consciously trying,  it's very difficult to be consistent. 

One thing I don’t understand is why UoT does rolling invites if it doesn’t do a rolling based receival of files similar to US schools. They accept applications from early June, and assess and interview when they are received. US schools receive much bigger applications (personal statement, longer ABS entries, and secondary essays) and are able to respond to their applications promptly, not to mention the volume of applications they receive well surpasses that of Ontario schools. 

IMO the system UoT has is inherently designed to miss some good candidates candidates. I have many friends still waiting to hear from UoT who are absolutely stellar candidates with multiple interviews to other schools. 

If they review files on a rolling basis, interviewees for February dates would have had a completed file review WAY before they even look at some other peoples’ applications. So how can it be possible that they ensure every one is evaluated equally and shares the same chance of getting an interview? It really doesn’t make sense with their set-up. It’s essentially who was lucky enough to have their file reviewed earlier. 

1 minute ago, Monocyte said:

One thing I don’t understand is why UoT does rolling invites if it doesn’t do a rolling based receival of files similar to US schools. They accept applications from early June, and assess and interview when they are received. US schools receive much bigger applications (personal statement, longer ABS entries, and secondary essays) and are able to respond to their applications promptly, not to mention the volume of applications they receive well surpasses that of Ontario schools. 

IMO the system UoT has is inherently designed to miss some good candidates candidates. I have many friends still waiting to hear from UoT who are absolutely stellar candidates with multiple interviews to other schools. 

If they review files on a rolling basis, interviewees for February dates would have had a completed file review WAY before they even look at some other peoples’ applications. So how can it be possible that they ensure every one is evaluated equally and shares the same chance of getting an interview? It really doesn’t make sense with their set-up. It’s essentially who was lucky enough to have their file reviewed earlier. 

That is assuming that they only have a preset number of interview spots to give out. In my application year, I remember them adding a full interview date because they had more people they wanted to interview. I actually think UofT has one of the more holistic approaches to file review. They take a little longer because they review every single file they receive unlike most schools who use cutoffs to diminish the man power required to review applications. Keep in mind that, at most schools, everyone involved in the file review and interview process is volunteering their time.

2 hours ago, hartk48 said:

I sincerely doubt (and hope) that there is a difference between a 3.9 to 4.0.

I feel that strong applicants with crazy EC's and references  usually are high achievers with high GPA to begin with.

I have 3 publications and 3 conference pubs with several competitive and long term ECs (~1000hr+) with a wGPA of 3.85 (which is not high) so I beg to differ lol

4 hours ago, silent_c said:

I have 3 publications and 3 conference pubs with several competitive and long term ECs (~1000hr+) with a wGPA of 3.85 (which is not high) so I beg to differ lol

Hence my Italiazed usually... we’ll always find an exception :/ 

17 minutes ago, excelspreadsheet said:

You mean make all of our weekends with invites right?:rolleyes:

At this point I would be content with any sort of reply, whether that be an invite or rejection... This waiting game is just not fun