Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Slickrick said:

You sure it's legit? I haven't heard of any rejections yet 

It better have been legit otherwise that vent-and-eat-our-feelings session may have been prematurely IN VAIN 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about you guys, but reading the UofT invite stats posted so far makes me feel like a massive loser. There are so many people with AMAZING extracurricular achievements. I mean I feel like a sack of potatoes compared to these people....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jr2 said:

I don't know about you guys, but reading the UofT invite stats posted so far makes me feel like a massive pile of sh!t. There are so many people with AMAZING extracurricular achievements. I mean I feel like a sack of potatoes compared to these people....

I feel that. How people manage a 4.0 cGPA with amazing ECs and crazy MCAT scores concerns me regarding my own application 

I thought my stats were great until I saw the thread lololol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Logic said:

I feel that. How people manage a 4.0 cGPA with amazing ECs and crazy MCAT scores concerns me regarding my own application 

I thought my stats were great until I saw the thread lololol

 

9 minutes ago, jr2 said:

I don't know about you guys, but reading the UofT invite stats posted so far makes me feel like a massive pile of sh!t. There are so many people with AMAZING extracurricular achievements. I mean I feel like a sack of potatoes compared to these people....

It always feels this way! But, remember that what you see here isn't representative of the numerous candidates that are interviewed, let know who is accepted. 

There is also a bias towards reporting invites over rejections as well on the forum. As much as we dive into the stats and be analytical about it, try to step back and have some perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly wonder if there is an advantage to having your file reviewed in an earlier batch. U of T has stated on numerous occasions that when you receive your interview invite has no correlation to your competitiveness, and that it instead relates to when they got to your file review. In addition, if you haven't heard back yet, its highly likely that the admissions committee has yet to review your file, or are in the process of currently reviewing your file (unless they hold your application in an "interview waitlist" pile). 

This all being said and known, I feel like it may be easier to score an interview if your application is reviewed in an earlier batch of detailed file reviews. As interview invites are sent out in batches on a weekly/bi-weekly basis, the number of available interview spots decreases. Therefore, would they not have to start being more picky and selective on who they award an interview to in the later batches? Or do they have a certain file review score threshold that they will give an interview to any applicant who meets or exceeds that score? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, pixie094 said:

I honestly wonder if there is an advantage to having your file reviewed in an earlier batch. U of T has stated on numerous occasions that when you receive your interview invite has no correlation to your competitiveness, and that it instead relates to when they got to your file review. In addition, if you haven't heard back yet, its highly likely that the admissions committee has yet to review your file, or are in the process of currently reviewing your file (unless they hold your application in an "interview waitlist" pile). 

This all being said and known, I feel like it may be easier to score an interview if your application is reviewed in an earlier batch of detailed file reviews. As interview invites are sent out in batches on a weekly/bi-weekly basis, the number of available interview spots decreases. Therefore, would they not have to start being more picky and selective on who they award an interview to in the later batches? Or do they have a certain file review score threshold that they will give an interview to any applicant who meets or exceeds that score? 

common fear and it is natural to basically over think everything 

but I think you don't have to worry about that - first they check for that bias I am sure regularly as all schools do (you would be amazed at the checks that go on). You know you obscessed we collectively are at checking everything regarding our applications - well imagine that personality 10 years from now when you are in charge of the admission system. 

Second if they find they have more applicants that qualify than expected etc they simply create new interview weekends - this has happened in the past. There is no limit effectively on the number of available interview spots, just a limit on the number of seats for the class at the end. They never become more picky. They are picky enough as it is :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rmorelan said:

common fear and it is natural to basically over think everything 

but I think you don't have to worry about that - first they check for that bias I am sure regularly as all schools do (you would be amazed at the checks that go on). You know you obscessed we collectively are at checking everything regarding our applications - well imagine that personality 10 years from now when you are in charge of the admission system. 

Second if they find they have more applicants that qualify than expected etc they simply create new interview weekends - this has happened in the past. There is no limit effectively on the number of available interview spots, just a limit on the number of seats for the class at the end. They never become more picky. They are picky enough as it is :)

Wasn't even aware that having more weekends was a possibility, thats reassuring! I am also sure they wouldn't lie about their process as they are one of the most transparent in how applications are evaluated, etc. I mean if word ever got out that they were lying about the process, it wouldn't be a good look for U of T, and I don't really see a reason for them to lie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 2hopeful said:

Wasn't even aware that having more weekends was a possibility, thats reassuring! I am also sure they wouldn't lie about their process as they are one of the most transparent in how applications are evaluated, etc. I mean if word ever got out that they were lying about the process, it wouldn't be a good look for U of T, and I don't really see a reason for them to lie.

Yeah it doesn't benefit them in any way. They want the best they can get - that means evaluating everyone and seeing where the chips lie. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what U of T's policy is for rescheduling? On the off chance I get an interview for the 24th/25th weekend, would they consider rescheduling to the April date if I had a family trip booked? Would like to visit a really old grandparent in March and flights are getting very expensive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jfdes said:

Does anyone know what U of T's policy is for rescheduling? On the off chance I get an interview for the 24th/25th weekend, would they consider rescheduling to the April date if I had a family trip booked? Would like to visit a really old grandparent in March and flights are getting very expensive...

I believe they try to be accommodating; however, they said it is harder for them to reschedule interviews for later dates...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...