Premed 101 Forums

IM Clerkship Study resources

step 2 CK IM questions and Canada Q bank is really overkill for IM core rotation. You can get by just by reading uptodate and reviewing your approach to common presentations like SOB, chest pain, abdo pain, diarrhea, etc.

Then read about the management of a bunch of conditions like heart failure, MI, kidney injury, COPD, asthma, gastroenteritis, transaminitis, etc.

Reading about ECGs, CXRs, ABGs will help too.

For all of these uptodate is good enough and there are plenty of free resources online on youtube.

6 hours ago, skyuppercutt said:

step 2 CK IM questions and Canada Q bank is really overkill for IM core rotation. You can get by just by reading uptodate and reviewing your approach to common presentations like SOB, chest pain, abdo pain, diarrhea, etc.

Then read about the management of a bunch of conditions like heart failure, MI, kidney injury, COPD, asthma, gastroenteritis, transaminitis, etc.

Reading about ECGs, CXRs, ABGs will help too.

For all of these uptodate is good enough and there are plenty of free resources online on youtube.

I get CanadaQbank for free anyways, so figured it may be useful? 

I really don't like reading to be honest, so was hoping just doing alot of IM based questions and reading the logic behind answers and links to guidelines would be good enough too :P

21 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

I get CanadaQbank for free anyways, so figured it may be useful? 

I personally have no used CanadaQbank and the reason being that I heard from my upper year students/residents that the questions aren't written very well and the answers can sometimes just be wrong. Some have told me that they would rather have never done CanadaQbank, because it was difficult to unlearn some of the stuff they picked up from there. 

Whether or not this is true, I cannot personally say. Maybe it has also been updated and is better now? Someone else should speak to this since this is just my opinion based on what others have told me. 

If you absolutely want questions, uworld step 2 ck questions I heard are phenomenal and the explanations are great. I will be using them for when I study for my LMCC. For clerkship though, it might be too much/too expensive, but if money isn't an issue then, by all means, go for it!

3 hours ago, Epona said:

I used UWorld for my NMBE Medicine exam -- very helpful for this purpose, but did not find it applicable to the wards.  Its also very American-centric, and very expensive.

I found the text "Approach to Internal Medicine" to be really high yield for diagnostic approaches and pimping questions, and UpToDate was great for on the ward/patient specific questions.  

Yes thanks! I'm not worried about ward relevance, just want to be comfortable for the NBME.  As for money, its a non issue when it comes to educational costs, as long as its a fruitful endeavour. 

Did you just do it throughout the rotation?

3 hours ago, Epona said:

Yep.  I had 12 weeks of IM (subspec + CTU) and I think I started around 10 weeks before the NBME.  I was able to get through all of the questions with no issue and did decent on the exam.  It was my first NBME, for all subsequent NBME's I started studying 6-5 weeks out (but there are a massive amount of IM questions so I think starting earlier helped).  

Wow 12 weeks! Do you recall how many questions for IM there was? 

Archived