Premed 101 Forums

Best Science Materials??

Premed_Girl

What company has the best science prep (ie. most representative passages) for C/P and Bio section? I'd like to purchase their workbooks. I used to have TPR materials, but it expired and I can't afford to get them back (as it's going to cost over 2k!). Any advice will help. Thank you in advance!

32 minutes ago, Premed_Girl said:

Thank you so much!

No problem! 

Just note that no one except AAMC can really simulate what you will see on test day, because by definition - they are not AAMC. Thus, try to diversify your resources as much as possible, because each company has its X amount of test writers that have Y biases or Z understanding of the MCAT. Though they third party companies are definitely getting better and some companies hit the mark more than others, try to diversify. 

I did some of Kaplan, Altius, Nextstep, TPR, Mcgrew hill, Testing solutions, Examkrackers and QWorld. Highly recommend you do the same! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 2:41 PM, hartk48 said:

No problem! 

Just note that no one except AAMC can really simulate what you will see on test day, because by definition - they are not AAMC. Thus, try to diversify your resources as much as possible, because each company has its X amount of test writers that have Y biases or Z understanding of the MCAT. Though they third party companies are definitely getting better and some companies hit the mark more than others, try to diversify. 

I did some of Kaplan, Altius, Nextstep, TPR, Mcgrew hill, Testing solutions, Examkrackers and QWorld. Highly recommend you do the same! 

Yes I agree!! I'm using various different resources for CARS and I'm finding it very helpful.

Did you only do full length tests of the resources that you listed? If not, where did you find their science materials? I know that NS and Examkracker have passage books, I just don't know if they are worth buying because they got mixed reviews. I was thinking of doing the science passages from the old AAMC tests as practice, do you think that would be helpful?

Did mostly tests, in the beginning I used to do fullengths over the course of two days just to prevent burnout (which is a real thing)- same timing as the official but paused after cars. 

with regards to workbooks - I did all of NS 108 passages and EK 101 passages of the old which I recommend you do both. With regards to the new EK 101 passages (including the CARS book) I have to say I am torn apart - while I bought all of them I barely touched them at all as they were very difficult BUT you will see one or two passages of this caliber on each section. This will be the difference between a 129 to 132 in my opinion.

With regards to the old AAMC tests, the "new" aamc question packs (not to be confused with the section banks) are copy pasted passages from old aamc practice tests just rebranded. So to answer that question, definitely do it, but save it for later and also know that these are on the "easier" side. 

On 2/28/2018 at 1:43 PM, hartk48 said:

Did mostly tests, in the beginning I used to do fullengths over the course of two days just to prevent burnout (which is a real thing)- same timing as the official but paused after cars. 

with regards to workbooks - I did all of NS 108 passages and EK 101 passages of the old which I recommend you do both. With regards to the new EK 101 passages (including the CARS book) I have to say I am torn apart - while I bought all of them I barely touched them at all as they were very difficult BUT you will see one or two passages of this caliber on each section. This will be the difference between a 129 to 132 in my opinion.

With regards to the old AAMC tests, the "new" aamc question packs (not to be confused with the section banks) are copy pasted passages from old aamc practice tests just rebranded. So to answer that question, definitely do it, but save it for later and also know that these are on the "easier" side. 

I was actually doing the AAMC old tests' verbal section and I did indeed find them fairly easy! Thank you so much for your help! I will purchase the NS 108 passage books, and will do Altius FLs as well. Thanks again!

Archived