Premed 101 Forums

‘A pseudo-science’: Outrage after Ontario government funds college program in homeopathy

The college benefits, because they will fill classes and aggressively market it based on the legitamecy of "regulatory board of homeopathy". 

Then students, even if they dont have means will get Gov't Student Loans to pay the college.

Now that, is some high class lobbying by the charlatan shills - at least the naturopathic schools are private schools, and aren't (in theory) receiving direct govt money. 

This school will receive direct govt money to set up and run the program, then even more govt money in tuition from students.

All under the guise of preparing them for the "rigours" of meeting the "regulatory boards" requirements.

McMaster Medical School has a Homeopathy bursary. I kid you not. We tried to get it removed or altered but nope. 

http://academiccalendars.romcmaster.ca/content.php?catoid=24&navoid=4410

THE ALFRED THEODORE HAINES AND MIRIAM FORSTER HAINES BURSARY
Established in 2014 through the bequest of Alfreda Haines (Class of ‘35). To be granted to students in the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine at McMaster University who demonstrate financial need. Preference will be given to a student who demonstrates interest in homeopathic medicine. (71104)

I have no problem with patients pursuing any aspect of Complimentary and Alternative treatment as long as they (and the practitioners of these modalities) understand that it's not the standard of medical care, and that genuine - perhaps even life-threatening - medical complications, can still arise during the course of therapy. Many of these modalities, including homeopathy, could provide minimal or no benefit, but I'm less concerned about that, and more with whether people are made aware of red flags, and when to refer/seek timely assessment from a medical doctor should things start going wrong.

With that in mind, I'm actually not opposed to homeopathy programs being supported. In fact, I don't outright oppose any alternative that patients could potentially find benefit, hope or comfort in. At the end of the day, what's ultimately more important is an emphasis on people doing their due diligence; to be personally empowered by being informed as much as possible on both conventional and unconventional means, so they can make a decision they feel is right for them.

23 minutes ago, Intrepid86 said:

I have no problem with patients pursuing any aspect of Complimentary and Alternative treatment as long as they (and the practitioners of these modalities) understand that it's not the standard of medical care, and that genuine - perhaps even life-threatening - medical complications, can still arise during the course of therapy. Many of these modalities, including homeopathy, could provide minimal or no benefit, but I'm less concerned about that, and more with whether people are made aware of red flags, and when to refer/seek timely assessment from a medical doctor should things start going wrong.

With that in mind, I'm actually not opposed to homeopathy programs being supported. In fact, I don't outright oppose any alternative that patients could potentially find benefit, hope or comfort in. At the end of the day, what's ultimately more important is an emphasis on people doing their due diligence; to be personally empowered by being informed as much as possible on both conventional and unconventional means, so they can make a decision they feel is right for them.

You raise a good point regarding respecting patient autonomy and making sure that patients are aware of the pros and cons of complementary and alternative medicines so they can make a decision that they feel is right for them. But, I would argue that even with the facts laid out for the patient, the patient may not be able to appraise or appreciate these facts to form sound judgment. Which could lead to judgments that may not benefit (and could in fact harm) the patient. This is where medical professionals need to intervene to help patients understand and clarify misconceptions. Not going to go down this rabbit hole, but homeopathic medicines have been shown to be ineffective clinically.

I think it is fair that the medical community and healthcare professionals alike are actively rejecting this notion because having these schools prop up shop would only undermine the scientific progress we have made in debunking myths. Even from a bioethical standpoint, this is lack of due care from the government to let these myths perpetuate. As medical professionals, or even as scientists, everything needs to be evidence-guided.

The number of patients I see with advanced cancer who were misled/lied to by Naturopaths/homeopaths/alternative medicine practitioners causing a delay in treatment/diagnosis is shockingly high. It's hard to say you support patients pursuing Complimentary and Alternative as long as they understand that it's not the standard of medical care because I see multiple times a week patients who don't understand this and have been harmed because of it.

2 hours ago, Intrepid86 said:

I have a problem with homeopathic schools being funded by government money and legitimising their profession. Practitioners of evidence-based medicine should show some teeth and be fighting back hard instead of being passive about it. Patients can do whatever they want. They can go to whomever they want, but governments should play an active role in preventing the delusion that this quackery is on the same level as what we do as physicians.

6 hours ago, Intrepid86 said:

I strongly oppose government funding for any junk science.  Including in medicine!!  When I did ortho in med school you had to pay if you wanted PRP because theres not enough evidence and OHIP didn't cover it.  If patients want to pursue homeopathy that's good for them, but you want your tax dollars supporting a program to teach it? HELL NO. 

Think of all the underfunded things our taxes could pay for.  This is the problem with the government funding bullshit--tax money is finite, so when they support shit it takes away from things society could actually benefit from.  Try explaining to the old lady down the block that they wont pay for more CCAC but theyre cool with giving anything to something as moronic as homeopathy.

On 2/8/2018 at 0:52 PM, thestar10 said:

McMaster Medical School has a Homeopathy bursary. I kid you not. We tried to get it removed or altered but nope. 

http://academiccalendars.romcmaster.ca/content.php?catoid=24&navoid=4410

THE ALFRED THEODORE HAINES AND MIRIAM FORSTER HAINES BURSARY
Established in 2014 through the bequest of Alfreda Haines (Class of ‘35). To be granted to students in the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine at McMaster University who demonstrate financial need. Preference will be given to a student who demonstrates interest in homeopathic medicine. (71104)

This could be an interesting MMI question actually, lol. "Should the school take the free money and give to students in need so something good can come out of it, or reject it on principle?"

Seems like McMaster chose the former...

Archived