Premed 101 Forums

¸

¸ ¸ ¸

22 hours ago, Bambi said:

Have an agile mind, go with the flow and improvise.

I think that's a good point, but you also have to understand what are your weeknesses? For instance, I have been told that in acting stations, I tend to be quite'nice' and I don't know how to depersonalize things and talk about difficult topics in a direct way. I tend to beat around the bush!! As a result, I have been given the advice to focus on the facts and don't feel bad if I will have to escalate the issue in order to resolve it. I have to keep in mind that it's not my problem that the person is not cooperating with me to resolve the issue. If I am lenient in my approach, I might be enabling dysfunctional behaviour. However, I do know that a strength of mine is interacting with kids and establishing rapport with them and explaining things to them :) !! You have to figure out your strength and your weaknesses :).  Acting stations are so dynamic and you have to be able to adapt and respond to various issues ( explaining things to a person who can't see, or a person who can't hear properly, or confronting a difficult co-worker, supporting someone who's going through a difficult time, breaking bad news, addressing unprofessional behaviour...etc).

You have to know your weakness and work on fixing it. Other issues that I have seen applicants face include: struggling with displaying empathy,  they may not know how to show that they are concerned in their tone, body language...Other individuals are too aggressive in their approach!! Some individuals may not be able to adjust their communication style to different audiences ( elderly vs. children vs. teenagers)...

In a general, try to go beyond the scope of the prompt and try to understand any hidden agenda the actor may have :) In addition, the more questions you ask, the more likely that the person feels that you are concerned about understanding the situation.

Best of Luck :)

Archived