Premed 101 Forums

Blacklisting from turning down acceptance? Also match statistics?

Is there a blacklist for students who turn down an acceptance? E.g. if someone were to be accepted to only 1 school and to turn it down, would they be blacklisted from all other schools in the future?

Similarly, is there a punishment for initially accepting an interview and then turning it down later?

Also, I know in the states you can look at where students from each school have matched for residency in the past. Is there such a thing in Canada?

12 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

Some schools do publish where their students match. Just google it. 

No blacklist. But really you should only be applying if you are ready. Every cycle is a new.

OK thanks! I am ready, I'm just trying to decide whether to attend one particular interview as I have quite a few other interviews. If there is no blacklist, then there is no harm in going except for $$.

2 hours ago, Comprehensible said:

Is there a blacklist for students who turn down an acceptance? E.g. if someone were to be accepted to only 1 school and to turn it down, would they be blacklisted from all other schools in the future?

Similarly, is there a punishment for initially accepting an interview and then turning it down later?

Also, I know in the states you can look at where students from each school have matched for residency in the past. Is there such a thing in Canada?

No I don't believe so although as John Grisham points out that with the long odds to get in, and importantly the randomness of the process (you don't know how rules will change at a school in the future) it is very likely best to take every interview you can get your hands on. I know people that had 5 interviews and still didn't get in for a particular year (and these people didn't interview I thought poorly). 

29 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

No I don't believe so although as John Grisham points out that with the long odds to get in, and importantly the randomness of the process (you don't know how rules will change at a school in the future) it is very likely best to take every interview you can get your hands on. I know people that had 5 interviews and still didn't get in for a particular year (and these people didn't interview I thought poorly). 

I did accept the interview. I will cross my fingers :) 

Thanks

Archived