Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
futureMD95

Chances at U of T - Needing some advice!

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone! 

   Looking for some advice on my current situation - any ideas are much appreciated.  I’m currently a second time application to Ontario Medical Schools.  Last cycle, I did not receive any invites.  This cycle, I am also having no luck and just currently waiting to hear from Toronto(!!) I graduated with an Honours BSc Biological Sciences last year.  I am currently in my gap year, working part-time at my long term job of nearly seven years after just having finished a contract position as a Liaison Officer for my alma mater.  

    The big debate right now is how I can use the rest of the year to further my application, if I don’t have any luck with Toronto over the next month or so.  Here are my stats: 

wGPA - 3.93 

MCAT - 508 - (129/125/127/127)

ECs - Employment as a Lifeguard/Swim Instructor for almost 7 years, teaching advanced courses like the National Lifeguard Program, Standard First Aid courses, and am currently one of my pool’s supervisors.  4 months as a Liaison Officer, travelling the province to represent my school. Over 100 hours of hospital volunteer work. Executive positions in various clubs (Mental health awareness, Golden Key local chapter, club supporting the homeless in my community, etc.) Exam Aid Instructor for Students Offering support.  International medical mission trip participant in Haiti.  Rotary club member.  Science mentor for one year. 

Minimal research experience- 4 months in first year as a research assistant.  Not super passionate about research so I did not pursue this area as much.  

Basically, I’m wondering if I should focus the next few months on gaining volunteer experiences, work experience, etc. or if I should rewrite the MCAT to get a chance at other schools.  I know I met UofT’s cut offs so I guess I’m just wondering what my chances are in gaining an interview, especially with minimal research, so I can better make a decision.  Thanks in advance!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎13 at 11:30 PM, futureMD95 said:

Hi Everyone! 

   Looking for some advice on my current situation - any ideas are much appreciated.  I’m currently a second time application to Ontario Medical Schools.  Last cycle, I did not receive any invites.  This cycle, I am also having no luck and just currently waiting to hear from Toronto(!!) I graduated with an Honours BSc Biological Sciences last year.  I am currently in my gap year, working part-time at my long term job of nearly seven years after just having finished a contract position as a Liaison Officer for my alma mater.  

    The big debate right now is how I can use the rest of the year to further my application, if I don’t have any luck with Toronto over the next month or so.  Here are my stats: 

wGPA - 3.93 

MCAT - 508 - (129/125/127/127)

ECs - Employment as a Lifeguard/Swim Instructor for almost 7 years, teaching advanced courses like the National Lifeguard Program, Standard First Aid courses, and am currently one of my pool’s supervisors.  4 months as a Liaison Officer, travelling the province to represent my school. Over 100 hours of hospital volunteer work. Executive positions in various clubs (Mental health awareness, Golden Key local chapter, club supporting the homeless in my community, etc.) Exam Aid Instructor for Students Offering support.  International medical mission trip participant in Haiti.  Rotary club member.  Science mentor for one year. 

Minimal research experience- 4 months in first year as a research assistant.  Not super passionate about research so I did not pursue this area as much.  

Basically, I’m wondering if I should focus the next few months on gaining volunteer experiences, work experience, etc. or if I should rewrite the MCAT to get a chance at other schools.  I know I met UofT’s cut offs so I guess I’m just wondering what my chances are in gaining an interview, especially with minimal research, so I can better make a decision.  Thanks in advance!

 

Your situation and EC's are literally identical to mine (which is kind of weird). I have a 3.9+ gpa at nearly every Ontario school but my MCAT is only 507. I got waitlisted at NOSM last year and then didn't even get an interview this year and have no idea why. This year I applied to Ottawa with a 3.96 and didn't get an interview.  I felt the same about research but am in a gap year and have been working (unpaid :( ) at a hospital research institute trying to get my name on some publications. I'm anxiously waiting for Toronto because it is my last hope for this cycle. I'm thinking rewriting the MCAT again might be my best bet? or maybe doing a masters and trying again later? I'm a little lost and don't know if it reflects poorly with multiple MCAT attempts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, medhopeful'17 said:

Your situation and EC's are literally identical to mine (which is kind of weird). I have a 3.9+ gpa at nearly every Ontario school but my MCAT is only 507. I got waitlisted at NOSM last year and then didn't even get an interview this year and have no idea why. This year I applied to Ottawa with a 3.96 and didn't get an interview.  I felt the same about research but am in a gap year and have been working (unpaid :( ) at a hospital research institute trying to get my name on some publications. I'm anxiously waiting for Toronto because it is my last hope for this cycle. I'm thinking rewriting the MCAT again might be my best bet? or maybe doing a masters and trying again later? I'm a little lost and don't know if it reflects poorly with multiple MCAT attempts. 

Definitely write the MCAT dude. Your GPA is great and your extracurriculars are heading in the right direction. Your MCAT is overall low and if you can get 128+ on CARS you will get a lot more interviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎15 at 8:13 AM, EricLeman34 said:

Definitely write the MCAT dude. Your GPA is great and your extracurriculars are heading in the right direction. Your MCAT is overall low and if you can get 128+ on CARS you will get a lot more interviews.

Would UofT look favourably on a better score? I thought as long as you meet their cut offs a better score will not help you any more at UofT. This is my top choice school so I am just trying to decide if spending the time to re-study and re-write the MCAT would be worth it or if I should spend my time on experiences that help my sketch.... particularly in the research area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, medhopeful'17 said:

Would UofT look favourably on a better score? I thought as long as you meet their cut offs a better score will not help you any more at UofT. This is my top choice school so I am just trying to decide if spending the time to re-study and re-write the MCAT would be worth it or if I should spend my time on experiences that help my sketch.... particularly in the research area. 

You are right, that's how UofT evaluates the MCAT. Eric meant that if you have the potential to improve your score, especially the CARS section, you will have good chances at 2 additional schools

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...