Premed 101 Forums

Chances at US med?

equate

Hi everyone, 

I'm looking for some feedback on my chances for American med, I'm an Ontario resident. I'm a noob in terms of medschool applications and info so any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Year 1 - 3.59 <-- crappy first year due to binge watching breaking bad and generally not knowing what I was doing

Year 2 - 3.94

Year 3 - 3.87

Currently doing my 4th year with an anticipated 3.9

I didn't apply this cycle, I intend to apply next cycle in my 5th year/honors project year 

MCAT - 129/129/129/130

AMCAS 4 year gpa - 3.85

EC's - Founder and president of a unique and successful club for 2 years, exec in 2 clubs for 2 years, tutored privately and in an organization, 3-4 yrs research with 3 different labs no pubs + one poster, 2 pubs in non-health related field, 1 pub in university research journal, few hundred hrs volunteering in a hospital since high school, shadowed surgeon a few times, worked at the medical school as an administrative assistant for one summer, entry scholarship for gpa, member of an engineering project with some engineering students, and a potential paper/honors project.

What are my chances for American med if I apply next cycle in my 5th year? Should I do a 6th year or master's so my 5th year gpa can count towards total gpa? What should I work to improve on? 

I plan to apply broadly to both US and Canadian med.

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate the help!

Looks fairly solid for US. Look into LOR requirements for all the Canadian friendly schools (some of them are very specific) and make sure you are ready to apply on the first day the application opens for the best chance.

Maybe get ready for a 2nd undergrad if necessary (and sounds like you are willing to do that)  which would also boost your chances in Canada if you need another application the next year. You have a great MCAT so I suspect you will get some Canadian interviews even without 5th or 6th year (I think had you applied this year you would have gotten a Western interview for example).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived