Premed 101 Forums

DOCTOR SUSPENDED FOR COMING FORWARD ABOUT SEXUAL HARASSMENT

rmorelan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

and this just went national

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/sudbury-doctor-suspended-after-alleging-she-was-sexually-harassed-at-teaching-hospital

you would think they would want to resolve this one way or the other ASAP. 

I can't believe this........in shock...how could this even happen? NOSM certainly needs a postgraduate medical reform

9 hours ago, Eudaimonia said:

They failed accreditation previously due to harassment issues and still don't take these cases seriously?! 

Not seriously enough anyway - and they really haven't figured out how to deal with it and they are going to have to. 

The bureaucracy of medical education can be so enraging.  Like even if someone made the moronic decision to suspend her, how was it not quickly reversed?  This article also speaks to the disturbing fact that most residents know--once you have a target on your back by prominent attendings in your program, they can and do make your life a nightmare in many ways.  You are scrutinized at a higher level than other residents.  Its why its often unfortunately advisable to just keep your head down.  I luckily never experienced this when I was a resident but you certainly saw it with others.  

24 minutes ago, goleafsgochris said:

The bureaucracy of medical education can be so enraging.  Like even if someone made the moronic decision to suspend her, how was it not quickly reversed?  This article also speaks to the disturbing fact that most residents know--once you have a target on your back by prominent attendings in your program, they can and do make your life a nightmare in many ways.  You are scrutinized at a higher level than other residents.  Its why its often unfortunately advisable to just keep your head down.  I luckily never experienced this when I was a resident but you certainly saw it with others.  

When there are so many people involved, any one individual simply feels that "someone else is taking care of it" or "its not my problem". It is terrible.

Hey guys. This is Ana Safavi, the resident referred to in the articles. I did used to post here under a different username, but right before I went public, I sort of panicked and asked to be perma-banned from the forums in order to delete my entire post history. I don't think you can un-perma-ban a user, so here I am under a new profile. Oh well. :P

I debated whether or not to post in this thread. Initially I stayed off premed 101, because I didn't want people to feel inhibited from discussing my case freely amongst themselves, for fear of offending me or something like that. Please don't worry about hurting my feelings -- trust me, I have been called way worse in the comment sections of the Sudbury Star and National Post by now. I wouldn't have gone public if I didn't have a thick skin, and I want people to feel like they can criticize me in this thread if they want.

The reason I am posting in this thread is because I want people to know that I am available to help anyone else going through something similar. Medical student or resident. Male or female. Harassed -- sexually or otherwise. Unfairly targeted, discredited, silenced, or maligned by your institution. Whether you want advice, referrals to (non-shitty) lawyers, or just want to vent to somebody who gets it, I'm here and happy to help in any way that I can. I have learned so much over the past two years about how to navigate the system and protect yourself as a learner trapped in a broken, corrupt system, and I feel obligated to pass on that knowledge to anyone else who can benefit from that hard-earned insight. And my schedule is wide open right now. ;)

If you are afraid to put your thoughts in writing, my cell phone number is 519-859-9334. Text me anytime. Or you can add me on whatsapp. Just please no unsolicited d*ck pics (unintentional side effect of going public, I have recently learned).

Btw, feel free to ask me questions. Don't worry about prying -- if I can't answer something for legal reasons, I'll let you know. The articles are a bit confusing, and some of my actions may seem somewhat illogical as a result. I will do my best to clarify things (like why I haven't released the name of my sexual harasser). You can also ask me personal questions if you like (what it felt like being sexually harassed, how to cope with something like that, etc). I will let you know if I don't want to answer and I promise not to be offended that you asked.

Finally, if people want to discuss what it's like from the accused person's perspective (issues of due process, etc) I have some insight to offer as well there. After all, I was unfairly accused and punished by NOSM for making so-called 'unfounded accusations' after a one-sided investigation done without my knowledge, so while I am a victim here, I do have sympathy for the other side of the issue as well. Due process is paramount, and should never be sacrificed out of expediency.

On 2018-04-04 at 10:59 PM, LittleDaisy said:

I can't believe this........in shock...how could this even happen? NOSM certainly needs a postgraduate medical reform

Actually, they need a UME reform as well. One of my lawyers has represented 3 NOSM UME students, and I just referred him another.

The issues at NOSM are...pervasive. There is no particular program or teaching hospital that is affected. It’s everywhere. And even faculty and hospital leadership are afraid. 

• 10 months later...

Quick update.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/northern-ontario-medical-school-sexual-harassment-year-later-1.5013847

The CBC asked the medical school why the investigation has taken this long and received this response:

"There are factors involved in this process that have contributed to the length of time required to complete the investigation. We are not able to provide any details."

Factors, indeed!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived