Premed 101 Forums

UBC MOT Interview

4 minutes ago, PTJunkie said:

Seriously?! Congratulations! At what time did you receive their email? I haven't heard anything back yet though. I'm assuming the worst...

I received mine at 11:35 am. I don't know if they send them out altogether of if they do down a list. Hopefully, you won't have to wait too much longer. :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got mine at 12:13.

In the PDF they sent out it says that the interviewers will read the statement of intent prior to calling our names. Does anyone know if the admission decision is made mostly on the interview or an even combination of both interview and applications? Do they still take grades into consideration at this point? Thanks in advance!

26 minutes ago, NOOBorNOOB said:

Got mine at 12:13.

In the PDF they sent out it says that the interviewers will read the statement of intent prior to calling our names. Does anyone know if the admission decision is made mostly on the interview or an even combination of both interview and applications? Do they still take grades into consideration at this point? Thanks in advance!

LOL looks like I must have just been the first one cut.... congratulations!!! To answer your question, I think they probably do a mix of the two, probably 70% interview, 30% GPA. I'm not sure if they release this information at all tbh.

Hey guys, 

Just wondering if anyone had any idea as to how to calculate the GPA. I had a 3.59 for my 300 and 400 level courses on a 4.0 GPA, which converts roughly to an 89%. I thought I would get an interview for sure. But I received my rejection email and I was so confused so I emailed them back, and they said my 89% converts to an 82%, but they won't really explain how. I'm a little shocked because that doesn't make any sense to me. Hopefully someone could help me out! 

2 minutes ago, ConfusedOT said:

Hey guys, 

Just wondering if anyone had any idea as to how to calculate the GPA. I had a 3.59 for my 300 and 400 level courses on a 4.0 GPA, which converts roughly to an 89%. I thought I would get an interview for sure. But I received my rejection email and I was so confused so I emailed them back, and they said my 89% converts to an 82%, but they won't really explain how. I'm a little shocked because that doesn't make any sense to me. Hopefully someone could help me out! 

Were you an out of province applicant? UBC has multiple scales for GPA calculation, which one did you use?

4 minutes ago, ConfusedOT said:

Hey guys, 

I don't think 3.59 converts to 89%, I'm looking at the 4.0 scale from McGill for example and it look right at 82.%. Perhaps you were using full average rather than individual courses? The back of your transcript should have grade scale.

10 minutes ago, ConfusedOT said:

Hey guys, 

I did my degree in Alberta as well and I found my 3.7 translated to an 83% when I converted it using some UBC scale I found I think buried on these forums or the internet under people converting their grades for ubc med. Also ubc is on a 4.3 scale so don’t forget that. 

1 minute ago, OThopefully said:

I did my degree in Alberta as well and I found my 3.7 translated to an 83% when I converted it using some UBC scale I found I think buried on **DELETED** or these forums under people converting their grades for ubc med 

Don't you find that so frustrating though?

8 minutes ago, ConfusedOT said:

Don't you find that so frustrating though?

Not particularly, I knew I was applying with an 83% which meant slim chances since last years competitive average was 84% especially being OOP. It sucks, but is what it is. Better luck to everyone applying again next year!

11 minutes ago, csimakOTHopeful said:

Hey everyone,

I am new to this thread, but I have been following it since the beginning.

I received my acceptance for an interview at 1:47 pm today!

For those who have gone through this process before, are there any tips you may have to prepare?

Would you mind sharing your stats for those of us who didn’t make the cut? 

HI there,

I just got an interview offer, seems like they're doing it in batches across a few days so don't worry if you haven't heard back yet. I have a 3.81 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale) and 3.85 in the last 60 credit upper division courses from a U.S. university, but I'm a resident of BC and applied as a resident. My school has no such thing as an A+, our A is the highest mark so I'm not entirely sure how UBC converts GPA, but they do have an Excel doc on their website that you can input each grade for each course and it'll give you a % on their own scale. Hope this helps and good luck everyone!

Applied: Only to UBC MOT
Accepted: Interview at UBC
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPA: 4.12 for 300-400 upper level courses, I do not know my sGPA 

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I felt confident with my letter of intent, I have been working with chronic disease populations for the past two years at a place called LIVE WELL Exercise Clinic.  So far, I have gained approximately 300 hours of work experience designing exercise programs for physically disabled individuals while working alongside a Clinical Exercise Physiologist (CEP).  The members suffer from a wide range of chronic illnesses including multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, spinal cord injuries, cardiac-related complications and so on.

For the UBC application, I submitted 4 references in total.  Two from professors at my current university, who I had the chance to get to know quite well over the past two years, through participating and assisting with a number of their studies and conducting annual firefighting testings.  The other 2 references I submitted were volunteer and work-related.  One from LIVE WELL, which satisfied the physical disabilities requirement of the UBC application and another from Special Olympics, which satisfied the cognitive and emotional disability requirement of the UBC application.  My thought was to cover all bases and get experience from all three areas of disability although not required!

Where I feel I am weakest is in my experience with intellectual disabilities (cognitive/emotional) as I only gained 30 hours of experience volunteering for the Special Olympics as an assistant coach.  My hope is to continue gaining hours to strengthen my application if I do not get past the interviews this year.

I started my degree at UVic and finished my last two years at UFV.

I hope this information helps!

Archived