Premed 101 Forums

Keeping busy until Match day

Dermviser

I spent time this morning doing USMLE psych questions (LMCC prep) with the med student on my service right now while we waited for my cases to start (I'm surgical staff at a community hospital). I guess thats how she is passing her time. 

I told her I'll give her a poor eval if she shows up on match day. 

3 hours ago, NLengr said:

I spent time this morning doing USMLE psych questions (LMCC prep) with the med student on my service right now while we waited for my cases to start (I'm surgical staff at a community hospital). I guess thats how she is passing her time. 

can you be my staff

8 hours ago, NLengr said:

We should all be so fortunate as to have staff as kind as you. 

We’re allowed to take the afternoon off if we’re distressed by our match results, but we have to make up the time. :-/

42 minutes ago, Birdy said:

We should all be so fortunate as to have staff as kind as you. 

We’re allowed to take the afternoon off if we’re distressed by our match results, but we have to make up the time. :-/

Make up the time(?) - how would you even do that - come in on a weekend at some point? 

Most schools I thought gave everyone the afternoon off. Unofficially no one bothered to show up in the morning anyway. I mean what are you really going to do? Fail someone for missing the time when they have matched somewhere? Punish an unmatched student for the time they are missing while they are trying to get their life in order? When time suddenly becomes a very precious thing as the 2nd round is very, very fast and you have to get all the documentation together again. I would be more inclined to pull them off service to make sure their 2nd round gives them the best chances possible - otherwise both that student and likely the school have to figure what to do with the student for an extra year.

11 minutes ago, Dermviser said:

Did they just call in sick?

well in many programs you aren't in clerkship anymore - there is some LMCC style prep stuff going on. At Western for instance there was a exciting class of drug therapies in my year. Attendance was shall we say less than expected for a core lecture. 

In others it is just kind of understood that the clerk won't be there any everyone doesn't talk about that. "The clerk is doing a consult" for the next say 8 hours.

Honestly considering the amount of prematch day 'activities' that go on the night before you probably don't want them on service anyway.  Even without that - you don't want distracted medical personal around. If you aren't distracted on Match Day you haven't been paying attention :)

26 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

Make up the time(?) - how would you even do that - come in on a weekend at some point? 

Most schools I thought gave everyone the afternoon off. Unofficially no one bothered to show up in the morning anyway. I mean what are you really going to do? Fail someone for missing the time when they have matched somewhere? Punish an unmatched student for the time they are missing while they are trying to get their life in order? When time suddenly becomes a very precious thing as the 2nd round is very, very fast and you have to get all the documentation together again. I would be more inclined to pull them off service to make sure their 2nd round gives them the best chances possible - otherwise both that student and likely the school have to figure what to do with the student for an extra year.

On my current rotation, we would have to do extra call shifts or risk not completing the rotation and thus having to remediate during our exam review phase. I’m having to do make-up call now for a couple medical appointments (totalling just under 6 hours of missed time) and I’m putting off other needed appointments because doing more call for me is very challenging at the moment because I feel like crap. 

I suspect other rotations would probably require additional shifts, call, or online modules. 

4 minutes ago, Birdy said:

On my current rotation, we would have to do extra call shifts or risk not completing the rotation and thus having to remediate during our exam review phase. I’m having to do make-up call now for a couple medical appointments (totalling just under 6 hours of missed time) and I’m putting off other needed appointments because doing more call for me is very challenging at the moment because I feel like crap. 

I suspect other rotations would probably require additional shifts, call, or online modules. 

Interesting - Mac seems pretty strict about that sort of thing. At my home school don't get me wrong - we worked and worked hard. But if someone had to go to a doctor's appointment, or was sick etc their wasn't any requirement for make up time. 

1 minute ago, rmorelan said:

Interesting - Mac seems pretty strict about that sort of thing. At my home school don't get me wrong - we worked and worked hard. But if someone had to go to a doctor's appointment, or was sick etc their wasn't any requirement for make up time. 

I think it’s just because our overall schedule is so tight they can’t really give leeway. It makes sense and all, but it has its drawbacks. 

4 minutes ago, Birdy said:

I think it’s just because our overall schedule is so tight they can’t really give leeway. It makes sense and all, but it has its drawbacks. 

so you are on your last block right now - do you have any set review time I guess post early Apr (the end of your last block if my math is correct) for that? 

4 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

so you are on your last block right now - do you have any set review time I guess post early Apr (the end of your last block if my math is correct) for that? 

Yes. We have a period that’s usually six weeks, but I believe ours is five, which is a structured review period. It has mandatory attendance that works out to something like two and a half days a week, I believe. 

8 minutes ago, Birdy said:

Yes. We have a period that’s usually six weeks, but I believe ours is five, which is a structured review period. It has mandatory attendance that works out to something like two and a half days a week, I believe. 

Always interesting seeing how various places do things - best of luck on the match of course (I have been following you for awhile at this point ha!) and the "end of days time"! 

3 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

Always interesting seeing how various places do things - best of luck on the match of course (I have been following you for awhile at this point ha!) and the "end of days time"! 

Thanks! I’m excited to get this part done with. Pretty sure everyone else is too. :)

15 minutes ago, NLengr said:

I also gave her the day after off to recover from the hangover.

bravo - I mean I am hearing all this other institutional approaches but I really do rank match day up there with other key life event days. Going to work on Match day to me is almost kind of like going to work on your Wedding day. 

1 hour ago, GrouchoMarx said:

match day is life affirming or life destroying. ive seen both.

no matter which it is, the next step is booze.

go shopping for a nice single malt scotch. dive deep into the brands. thatll occupy your time before match day.

I prefer neat aged rum. Get yourself a bottle of El Dorado 21 year old. Only 110 bucks or so and it's the nectar of the gods. 

As a bonus you can make jokes like "This is the finest 21 year old I've ever had..." and get angry looks/eye rolls from the wife.

Archived