Premed 101 Forums

Queen's GPA calculation

Hi,

I am from the university of ottawa in the biomedical program and  I'm applying to Queen's medical school next year. Does anyone know how I calculate my GPA from uOttawa to Queen's grade scale? I want to have an idea of the GPA I'm applying with. On the Queen's website it says that A+ = 4.3 (90-100%). Therefore, if I have a A+ from uOttawa (90-100% also) do I use 4.3 in my calculation for my A+'s? Or should I use OMSAS's 4.0 for a A+? OMSAS and Queen's GPA scale are just saying different things. 

Also, when I do apply. Does Queen's only looks at my last 2 years of full time studies and makes a GPA calculation from that, or do they look at my whole undergrad? 

Thank you so much!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was under the impression that if you're in FT school currently, then 2 GPAs are calculated: wGPA (last 2Y GPA, Sept-Apr only) and cGPA (every course ever taken, including summer). Better of 2 used. 
If you're not in school FT, then Queens just uses cGPA. 

A quick scroll through the accepted/WLed/rejected thread confused me. I saw a few people there who were done school and were working FT yet they stated their wGPA. Wouldn't cGPA be used though? Can anyone please let me know where I'm going wrong in understanding this? Thanks in advance ! 

12 minutes ago, shortie said:

I was under the impression that if you're in FT school currently, then 2 GPAs are calculated: wGPA (last 2Y GPA, Sept-Apr only) and cGPA (every course ever taken, including summer). Better of 2 used. 
If you're not in school FT, then Queens just uses cGPA. 

A quick scroll through the accepted/WLed/rejected thread confused me. I saw a few people there who were done school and were working FT yet they stated their wGPA. Wouldn't cGPA be used though? Can anyone please let me know where I'm going wrong in understanding this? Thanks in advance ! 

They never state that on their website. Idk where that impression come from? First time I’ve heard of it and I’ve been doing this for 5 years lol. Good way to cut out non-trads though if they did that, so thankfully they are not doing that or else I’d probably not have gotten interviewed lol.

2 minutes ago, IMislove said:

They never state that on their website. Idk where that impression come from? First time I’ve heard of it and I’ve been doing this for 5 years lol. Good way to cut out non-trades though if they did that, so thankfully they are not doing that or else I’d probably not have gotten interviewed lol.

• There is no requirement for full time study, however only the cumulative GPA will be calculated for those not enrolled in full time study

Here's the link: https://meds.queensu.ca/academics/undergraduate/prospective-students/applying/application-process

Under GPA > gen info 

Now that I'm rereading it though, by "not FT study", they might have meant those with fewer than 3 courses/semester and not non-trads? 
lol as a nontrad myself, you can see why I'd be very concerned. Btw thanks for answering since yours was one of the posts I noticed on the thread!

3 minutes ago, shortie said:
  • There is no requirement for full time study, however only the cumulative GPA will be calculated for those not enrolled in full time study

Here's the link: https://meds.queensu.ca/academics/undergraduate/prospective-students/applying/application-process

Under GPA > gen info 

Now that I'm rereading it though, by "not FT study", they might have meant those with fewer than 3 courses/semester and not non-trads? 
lol as a nontrad myself, you can see why I'd be very concerned. Btw thanks for answering since yours was one of the posts I noticed on the thread!

They mean students that do not and did not meet the FT requirement will only have cGPAs. Those who graduated but had FT courses are eligible. They didn't mean that students have to be currently enrolled in FT, but that their degree was completed under FT status. Hope that clears it up

3 minutes ago, shortie said:

Under GPA > gen info 

Ah yes, he good old FTS clause. Yes you are correct it is as you said it, not having what Queens consider full time semesters and years of study. Toronto is even more hardcore for that WGPA as you need 5 lol. Always happy to help :).

Archived